Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VM not answering phones?

Options
  • 12-11-2020 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

I'm thinking of upgrading to 360 and adding multiroom but don't want to do it online as I need to be assured I won't lose my internet connection for too long during the changeover as I'm working from home and need to download large files on a daily basis. I also don't want to pay an activation fee which the online ordering seems to do. I called VM on 1908 yesterday and held for 70 mins before hanging up, today I held 50 mins and still didn't get to speak to anyone!

Has anyone had any joy actually getting through? When you phone the message says the wait time is 20 mins...if only that was true.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Delta2113

If your keeping your existing modem you won't be effected. If your going to 500mb or 1GB and getting a new modem sent out then yes your introducing a risk factor.

In theory it should be smooth with new modem but as I say -new modem -risk (day or two off-worst case scenario).

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭MrMan

Delta2113 wrote: »
    If your keeping your existing modem you won't be effected. If your going to 500mb or 1GB and getting a new modem sent out then yes your introducing a risk factor.

In theory it should be smooth with new modem but as I say -new modem -risk (day or two off-worst case scenario).

I finally got through after another 45 min wait. I decided to upgrade to 500mb, no movement from them on the activation charge but they did agree to provide a technician to install for free so hopefully that will minimise the risk of downtime!

Do you have a white Compal modem now?

I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Addressing the issue raised in the thread title, the best way to contact them is probably via WhatsApp on a laptop or PC. It doesn't matter if they respond and you don't see it for a few minutes as there will be a 20 minutes or more lag even if you respond to them instantly. It's like as if they were in Tasmania, on a dialup modem.

To kickoff, you WhatsApp them (+353896000016) with any text string. Service hours are 9-6 Mon-Sat. You'll get an instant response which includes a welcome message followed by a menu of options. You type the appropriate option, then wait.

When they respond, it's absolutely essential that you state the following upfront, before you give your query....

'Hi there, my name is xxx xx, account number nnnnnn, address xxx and I am the account holder.'

To give you an idea, I documented a chat (with timestamps) I had with them on Oct 30th last in a post here ....

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115109500&postcount=628

• Advertisement

@MrMan - not sure if you will get a new modem or not - Compal can handle 500mb.

Both modems are excellent but if you ever want 1GB - you will need the new modem.

Get all your downloading done before the Tech calls if possible.

I moved the install to a Saturday as doing it on a working day would be too much stress! As recommended here I used WhatsApp to rearrange the appointment and while it took nearly an hour to complete the WhatsApp conversation the tech support on the other end was very helpful and apologised for the various delays in getting back to me as he contacted the techs to try for an earlier date. Looking forward to getting rid of the Horizon box.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

MrMan wrote: »
    I moved the install to a Saturday as doing it on a working day would be too much stress! As recommended here I used WhatsApp to rearrange the appointment and while it took nearly an hour to complete the WhatsApp conversation the tech support on the other end was very helpful and apologised for the various delays in getting back to me as he contacted the techs to try for an earlier date. Looking forward to getting rid of the Horizon box.

Are they also upgrading your tv box?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Are they also upgrading your tv box?

- Well we already know he is getting rid off Horizon and getting a 360 box.

Are you asking about an outlet box?

If so Tech will change if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Delta2113 wrote: »
    - Well we already know he is getting rid off Horizon and getting a 360 box.

Are you asking about an outlet box?

If so Tech will change if necessary.

Sorry I had forgotten the new box was called 360! :o

I was afraid he was just upgrading broadband and being locked into a new agreement with the Horizon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement