Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: What do you make of this decision?
The decision made is fair 16 76.19%
The decision made is unfair, students should be marked entirely based on the terminal exam in June 3 14.29%
Students should be afforded the opportunity to resit these oral exams 2 9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

22-03-2020, 13:07   #1
Lc2020
Banned

Cancellation of Oral/Practical Exams

Hello,

I would like to gauge what the consensus is regarding the cancellation of these exams. In these distressing times, I appreciate there are more pressing matters. But equally, as a student I would like to see the support amongst teachers for Joe McHugh's decision.

Many thanks
Advertisement
22-03-2020, 13:21   #2
spurious
Category Moderator

The decision is made. Teachers contracted to the SEC will do what they are told to.

I don't think this would be the best place to get the opinions of teachers as a relatively small number post here.

The unions might be a better bet for a statement.
22-03-2020, 16:36   #3
Random sample

I’m glad I wasn’t making a decision on this. I don’t think there is one that would keep everyone happy.

This way though, anyone who is on course for a h1, will still be on that course.

If it was decided that the written exam was worth 100% it would have meant students who were excellent at oral work would have to work harder for the written exam, and may well get a lower grade that expected.

For anyone on course for lower grades, it’s an advantage of course, but as it’s an equal advantage to all, it’s fair.

For those not doing practical subject S or languages, you could argue that they were always at a disadvantage, since they don’t have a large component out of the way in March/April.
22-03-2020, 22:51   #4
Smacruairi

Agree that it was the only option left.

Not the answer you wanted OP but honestly the several days you've spent posting about it would be better spent going through official channels if you're that unhappy. That is if you are actually a student.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion