Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tractor-drawn low-loader

Options
  • 25-10-2011 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

I was talking to the guy who moves my machine the other day and was asking him where would be the best place to sell my own low-loader. He told me that they're going to be made illegal soon. Does anyone know any more about this? I paid 18k for the effing thing about 3 1/2 years ago and now he reckons that soon all it will be is an expensive bale trailer!!
    I had it advertised for what I thought was a reasonable price and not one phonecall even though there were hundreds of views. Anybody enlighten me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭maidhc

I know nothing about them being made illegal, but given the current climate, it is an expensive bale trailer, as few need low loaders!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I don't know about it been made illegal.

I know I tested one very recently that the ESB own. Any trailer over 3.5t gross is supposed to be tested. That may be where the confusion lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

There's always rumours floating around that long distance haulage (ie more than farm use) using tractors is to be stopped. Maybe that's what he's referring to?

Can't see it happening, too many doing it and it would put construction costs up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Hopefully ye're right, it'd be a fair kick to anyone who'd bought one in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭911s

Hopefully ye're right, it'd be a fair kick to anyone who'd bought one in the last few years.
    Also a fair kick to the fella that spent up to 200,000 euro on a tractor unit & lowloader, aquired full HGV licence, CPC exams for operators licence and haulage licence, expensive insurance, white diesel etc. only to be undercut and have his work taken by a 16year old driving Daddy's tractor from the farm (more than likely bought with EC subsidies or grant money), pulling a home-made lowloader, non tested, no suitable braking system, red diesel and agricultural tax, nearly forgot no tacho. A fair kick indeed!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

There are legislation changes coming down the line alright, bit of an unknown as of yet though, but based on the RSA's wishes to take us from relatively unregulated straight through to super-regulated I dont expect they'll make for pretty reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

911s wrote: »
    Also a fair kick to the fella that spent up to 200,000 euro on a tractor unit & lowloader, aquired full HGV licence, CPC exams for operators licence and haulage licence, expensive insurance, white diesel etc. only to be undercut and have his work taken by a 16year old driving Daddy's tractor from the farm (more than likely bought with EC subsidies or grant money), pulling a home-made lowloader, non tested, no suitable braking system, red diesel and agricultural tax, nearly forgot no tacho. A fair kick indeed!!

Uh oh, can open, worms everywhere :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Standing by to catch them! :rolleyes:

I have to reply.

What does that post achieve 911s (is this your car?)?

-I bought an expensive tractor and new, fully tested fully legal, certified, expensive low-loader.

-I paid expensive insurance

-I only used it for my own use

-I couldn't (IF I wanted to) command the same rates as a HGV if I did go on hire

-I'm not 16

-I don't use my tractor/low-loader every day, once in a while, especially when busy. I can't just swap it to another trailer to do a different job. I can't drive 2 or 3 hours to drop my machine to the next site and get a back-load to try to help with the cost of driving it back home.

Completely irrelevant and unhelpful post, grow up and go rant somewhere else.

JohnBoy wrote: »
    There are legislation changes coming down the line alright, bit of an unknown as of yet though, but based on the RSA's wishes to take us from relatively unregulated straight through to super-regulated I dont expect they'll make for pretty reading.

Thanks for this John-Boy, sounds like I will end up with a very fancy bale trailer after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭911s

I made some general sweeping statments that mentions some of the things that have been happening in the construction sector.especially the road building sector in recent years. I do not know your particular circumstances but the fact that you can use your trailer for bales suggests that you may be associated with the agricultural sector and your haulage tractor may be also a registered agricultural tractor.
    This is an open forum where people are entitled to air their opinions, and whether you areee with them or not no need to get personal or petty.
    I don't see what my forum user name has to do with anything mentioned on this thread, if you want to go down this road there are a lot more amusing and strange user names on this forum you can poke fun at or try and imply something.
    Lighten up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I made some general sweeping statments that mentions some of the things that have been happening in the construction sector.especially the road building sector in recent years. I do not know your particular circumstances but the fact that you can use your trailer for bales suggests that you may be associated with the agricultural sector and your haulage tractor may be also a registered agricultural tractor.
    This is an open forum where people are entitled to air their opinions, and whether you areee with them or not no need to get personal or petty.
    I don't see what my forum user name has to do with anything mentioned on this thread, if you want to go down this road there are a lot more amusing and strange user names on this forum you can poke fun at or try and imply something.
    Lighten up!

In fairness anyone arguing against what your saying is putting their head in the sand...
    Round here there have been a fair few lads working in construction type work with tractors/dump trailors insured for agri use.. There is no competing with them...

I'm not saying everyone but there are some..

Advertisement