Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TD5 Misfire???

Options
  • 23-10-2011 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Well guys I was just wondering would any of ye be able to help me out with a problem I am having with my 03 disco. I done a full service on it a few weeks back and a day or two later I noticed a misfire in the engine. I had never serviced a td5 before so after I changed the diesel filter I never gave the pump a chance to fill the filter, I just keep swinging the engine until it started I dont know if this done any harm or not. I have taking the filter off and checked the seals and also put back on the old filter just to see if that would sort the problem but still have a misfire. I have also took out the diesel pump from the tank and cleaned the filter on the bottom of it but still no good. I didn't loosen any of the pipes so I don't know if there could be a problem there. The jeep is drive-able but is very annoying to drive so anyone with a bit of advice on how to sort out the problem would be great.

Thanks allot to anyone with advice on the problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

When you change the fuel filter on a Td5 you are supposed to purge it by turning the ignition on and leaving it, you'll hear it push the air out and the pump then goes quiet.

If you forget or run out of fuel, this is from the manual -
    In the case of Td5 vehicles,carry out the following procedure:
    1. Turn off the starter switch and wait for 15 seconds.
    2. Turn the starter key to position ’II’ and wait for 30 seconds.
    3. Turn off the starter switch.
    Repeat steps 2 and 3 six times.
    4. Fully depress the accelerator pedal.
    5. Keeping the pedal depressed, start cranking the engine.
    6. Continue cranking the engine and as soon as the engine is running on all cylinders, ease the accelerator pedal back approximately halfway through its travel, and release the starter key. The engine should now be running.
    7. If the engine fails to start, repeat the process.

However, if it was running OK and you didn't notice the misfire straight away, I doubt if the filter is the problem.

Can you describe the misfire a bit better, is it all the time, only under load, all revs or only over 2500rpm? Is the fuel pump noisy (normally you should just barely hear it outside the vehicle).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Tomfrancey

well sean the misfire seems to be in it most of the time, both under pressure and just cruising. I dont know if it is in it when just ticking over as it seems to take the boot fairly well and dosent seem to be missing as she ticks over but thats not to say it isnt in it. As you give it the boot when driving along it seems to miss a beat and take a second to take boot but it will build up speed and will motor along fairly well at 70 or so but if I try to cruise along at 45 or that, if will be chuicking and chuddering along up the road. It feals very much like it is taking air or something like that but I cant understand, as I never toched any of the pipes. As far as I know it was fine for about a day after I serviced it and I have a good few miles up on her since but it never went out of it. I tried bleeding it as you described a while back but it is still the same.

Check the pipes again, they simply unlatch and it's possible you may have disturbed one. Check they are pushed on properly but they are easy to break so don't be rough.

It does sound like fuel as the usual misfire is only over 2500rpm from a duff MAF sensor. The other possibilities are -

Oil in the injector loom, shouldn't happen on post 02 models but I've seen it. Find the ECU under the bonnet, silver box about 150x150mm, and pull the red plug off and look for oil seeping from it. If there is you need to change the injector loom, simple job and less than €50 for the loom. Clean the plug for a couple of weeks after with solvent.

Leaking Fuel Pressure regulator, again shouldn't happen on post 02 :rolleyes:
    It's on back RH corner of the block and drips diesel over the starter giving low fuel pressure (and a dead starter if you ignore it!)

If there's no visible problems you need to get it plugged in and faults read. Whereabouts are you, plenty of places to get it done or other owners with readers (inc me), DO NOT GO TO A DEALER! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭rs8

does it start to mis at bout 2ooo/2500 on?? id say it a rail sensor!!!

No rail sensors on a Td5. Leaking injector seal could cause a misfire though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Tomfrancey

101sean wrote: »
    Check the pipes again, they simply unlatch and it's possible you may have disturbed one. Check they are pushed on properly but they are easy to break so don't be rough.

It does sound like fuel as the usual misfire is only over 2500rpm from a duff MAF sensor. The other possibilities are -

Oil in the injector loom, shouldn't happen on post 02 models but I've seen it. Find the ECU under the bonnet, silver box about 150x150mm, and pull the red plug off and look for oil seeping from it. If there is you need to change the injector loom, simple job and less than €50 for the loom. Clean the plug for a couple of weeks after with solvent.

Leaking Fuel Pressure regulator, again shouldn't happen on post 02 :rolleyes:
    It's on back RH corner of the block and drips diesel over the starter giving low fuel pressure (and a dead starter if you ignore it!)

If there's no visible problems you need to get it plugged in and faults read. Whereabouts are you, plenty of places to get it done or other owners with readers (inc me), DO NOT GO TO A DEALER! ;)

I must check the pipes and see if there is any problem there. I left the house this morning (Athlone area) and had to travel a 70 mile journey with the disco, for the first 10 miles I couldn't notice any miss at all but as soon as I went around the round about to enter the dual carriage way the jeep started to miss again. It seemed to go out of it again on the last leg of the journey. I must find out if anyone around the midland area has diagnostic tool as I really do not want to go to a main dealer.

Advertisement