Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2.8 trooper

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Safe trip lad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Yea, safe trip to NZ.

I loved it there the short time I spent visiting my sister in Auckland, hope to get back next year and see more of the country. Proper 4x4 territory, keep in touch and send pictures!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭2.8trooper

just found a pic of the wagon we bought in nz

nztrooper.jpg

its as clean as, the missus is drivin it around now until i get there could be a bit of a chore to get it back off her,took a while to find a manual one but got one in the end with 60k on the clock.not to fond off the bling alloys but will see when i get there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

Hello 2.8 trooper. Great to see your lovely one again, some machine that. I've seen it before on retro-rides.org. Really love those old things myself and used to do as you're doing there dragging them out of ditches trying to keep them going, saldy i havnt had one in about 2 years and i miss them, had a few over the years but sadly i only know where one of them is now it's in portugal on a farm (at least i hope it's out there and still going), was a lhd petrol one, dutch import but re registered here in the late 90s, got sold to an english guy who bought some sort of far out there.
    Thirsty old beast it was. Had some great diesel ones too though, it's a real pity people don't appreciate these, they're mighty old workhorses, it's also a pity so many irish people are terrified of rust and that it costs so much here to get welding done if you can't have a go yourself, as rust is the only thing that'll kill one of those.

hi conrad yes remember you on rr i cant praise these old trucks highly enough so simple to work on very little electrics to go wrong.and they look the business as well no doubt mine will still be plodding along this time 5 years as the chassis is sound and its had a good bit of rust preventitive treatment so it keeps goin.
    would like to see more on here so keep the pictures coming

• Advertisement

2.8trooper wrote: »
    hi conrad yes remember you on rr i cant praise these old trucks highly enough so simple to work on very little electrics to go wrong.and they look the business as well no doubt mine will still be plodding along this time 5 years as the chassis is sound and its had a good bit of rust preventitive treatment so it keeps goin.
    would like to see more on here so keep the pictures coming

well when i get another one i'll be sure to put some up. It's safe to say i love them as well, i've nearly come to blows with somone over them before ha ha ha. Bit extreme but if you'd to listen to the eejit i had to...
    I used to love seeing people's reactions to my old ones outdoing their new shiny machines.
    Can safely say i had the hub problems too, and the rust, but it's a small price to pay for an over all unreal jeep.

havent been in a while lots of goings on i see in the auld sod,have a quick question i replaced the timing belt on mine today(pity it wasnt gears like my old one) purely to save some money and try to get to know the engine better,i downloaded the manual and stuck to the guide,locked the pump sprocket and cam sprocket with m8 bolts with the pionter on crank at the pin in the crank pulley,put the belt on with new tensioner and idler but the belt was a little loose on the idler side not much,so i tightend up the tensioner as much as i could let of the m8s and rotated 45o anticlockwise and tensioned again all looked good,went back to check the marks lined up and the cam sprocket locked ok pionter was ok but the sprocket on the diesel pump needed another little turn to get the bolt in???
    now what have i done could the belt have slipped on one sprocket alone? or am i worrying to much havent put it back together and started yet threw my hat at it for the evening will go again in the morning,if anybody knows if its an issue would be glad to hear from you.

Not sure if I get yer post 100% but when putting on a timing belt (which I haven't done in aaaaaaaggggeeesss) I always start at the crank and work my way anti-clockwise bring the slack with me as I go.

That way the tensioner will take up all the slack and wont be inclined to pull the pulleys out of line once the locking pins are out.

right i get you,i worked anti clockwise as described in the guide but when putting the belt on the top sprockets ie cam and pump there was some slack which i thought the tensioner would take up i must have pulled the pump sprocket out a tooth when i tensioned the belt the last time.will take it off again in the morning and try it that way,i presume lining up crank and locking cam pulley and removing belt and then lock pump pulley will be ok? the belt seems a little tight anyway but it is correct same as one that came off it.

Done a couple recently and as Slidey says, you have to be careful everything still lines up when you tension it. On a Land Rover you put belt on cam and pump sprocket one tooth out and when you tension it, it pulls the dots into line.

Often the best way is to walk away when it all goes wrong, go back in the morning and it usually fall in to place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭DirtyDiesels

just wondering where did you download the manual from. id be intereted in downloading it muyself

http://www.bmhor.org/isuzu4j.html
    hi dirty diesel you should be able to find it at the link above i just printed it all and put it in a folder,if the link doesnt work go to itocuk and forum and engines its one of the stickys there.

think i sussed it got the belt kit off milner in uk and in 1991 the trooper has listed two belts square and round tooth i got a round tooth and whats on looks square all be it with some wear!!! so when i got belt on as best i could it rolled the pump sprocket back when tensioned,right so off to get a done over for a square tooth belt here,thats goona hurt.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 dodgeram

Hello 2.8trooper. im a new member. i too would be a fan of the 2.8. My first spin in one was a 1989 trooper commercial when i was only 12. My uncle bought it of harris. So he took me and dad for a spin. that was it. I was sold. So i bought that actual trooper in 1999 with 96k miles. It was used more as a car than a van. He had a shop so it got no abuse. I had 2 trouble free years motoring. Then in 2001 i sold it to my dad. I got a 3.1 trooper. He still has it to this day and he treated it to a full respray in 2009. (some spots of rust appearing again).I was going to get the big wheels and BFGs but he wanted it original. just like it came out of the factory. (i tried):D. There is now 197000 miles and ticking over like a watch. In the big freeze at -10 it started first turn. UNBELIEVABLE. My Dmax didnt start on that same day. diesel froze in the filter. a hair dryer and jump leads to the 2.8 got it going. thanks to john gormally he cant get the commercial tax now. Hope the greens dont call to his door. He has a short fuse:mad: Carlsburg dont do jeeps but if they did it would be a 2.8 trooper.The 3.1 was good but not as tough as 2.8. As for the 3.0. Heard enough to keep clear.

Your welcome slidey. It only took half an hour to type.:P one finger job.

dodgeram wrote: »
    Your welcome slidey. It only took half an hour to type.:P one finger job.

You'll be batterin away on the keyboard with 2 fingers in no time if you hang around here!

Hi dodgeram and welcome.

Sounds like you've experience of plenty of 4x4s in your time so you'll fit in, is the name anything to do with a past, present or future yank tank? ;)

Your right slidey. Startin to introduce the second finger now and then

Thanks for the welcome 101sean. Plenty of experience driving them. But i envy you guys who can do the overhaulin of them. As for the dodge ram, nearly bought one (1998 3500 cummins dually) back in 2006. Couldnt sell the patrol GR at the time. so for the moment its gonna be a future yank tank. I heard john gormally is getting one to go out and canvess in it:D....

good on ye dodgeram yes they are a pretty hard jeep to kill,especially here as the dryer climate keeps the rot at bay,everyone i have chatted to here in nz speaks fondly of the 2.8 they are good old girls.while i did the belt i adjusted the steering box begone floaty steering,replaced a weak engine mount no clattery starting and stopping.and a full filter service.i spied an irmsher one in a scrap yard the other day with the proper arches on it will have to make a call.

• Advertisement

Thanks 2.8trooper. you lost me when you were talking about steering boxes and engine mounts. Only kiddin... Any further than that and i will be lost. I know your a lad for pictures so ill try and put the 1989 2.8 up. Ill have to figure out how to do it first. Ill sweet talk the mississ into it:D

do that dodgeram always good to see another survivor:D

were is dodgerams pic??

one of my trooper at a place calls the devils boot
    057.jpg

you're back! that's a good picture!

no im still in kiwi land,i am getting a slight bit of wear on the outside of the passanger tyre,i have checked the ball joints and bearing and no excessive play,any thoughts before i go and get a full laser alignment doen at a cost of 80dollar.

2.8trooper wrote: »
    no im still in kiwi land,i am getting a slight bit of wear on the outside of the passanger tyre,i have checked the ball joints and bearing and no excessive play,any thoughts before i go and get a full laser alignment doen at a cost of 80dollar.

No not back as in Ireland, back as in posting here .

What about shocks/springs?

shocks ok not leaking so it stays,no spring they are torsion bar front which doesn't seem weak or broken and it sits level.think i will give the joints and bearings another go over and see if there is anything i missed i do know the lower balljoint is newer than the top but shouldnt really make a difference if they are both in good nick should it.or do people replace top and bottom at the same time for piece of mind?

No need to replace both at the same time.

I cannot remember if the suspension set up is the same on the front of these as the 3.1 trooper. If it is the camber/caster could be out.

It is done with 2 sets up shims, one full length which sets the camber and a half shim which sets the castor. It is a time consuming job to get it right, measurements can only be taken with vehicle on its wheels but needs to be jacked up and the bolts loosened to add/remove shims

sounds like the 80 dollars could be well spent then as i am working with the original jack and lumps of tree stumps!!!
    and i wouldnt know what to do!
    will check over all the obviuos again and bring it to get wheel alignment done.

• Advertisement

For 80 bucks I would imagine all they will be doing is checking all the variables and adjusting the tracking.

It is unlikely they would have the shims to hand. Afair there was 2 22mm bolts in between the legs of the top arm that carry the shims

Advertisement