Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2.8 trooper

Options
  • 24-02-2010 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

just registered this evening and thought i would put up my old trooper only got it but have always had a jeep havent seen any others on here they are getting scarce now.i remember when these and land rovers and old landcruisers were all you would see on the roads.

trooper005.jpg

trooper004.jpg

am in wicklow as you can see from the pics.trooper is in good order no rot and pulling strong 2.8td bought it with the wheels and tyres will prob ate balljoints but they muck it up fairly good.
    any more owners of these on here i can see them having abit of following before long more lads have come up to me in petrol stations etc saying they use to own or drive one and reckon they are a great yoke.

look forward to seeing all the other 4x4 antics on here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Welcome to boards 2.8!

Thats a clean example you have there.

They are a great workhorse but sadly rot is starting to get a lot of them. I still have one comin to me once a year. Bright red and I think there is only 70k miles on it.

No rust on it but the handbrake/caliper set up on the back always needs fiddling with.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭2.8trooper

cheers slidey i looked at 4 when buying this one and all of them had rust somewere just this one had only superficial bubbles on the back doors all the chassis and towbar area are clean,ye the rear calipers are a bit tempermental i have 2 recon ones ready to fit but im goin to try and clean up 2 old ones i got of a scrapper for spares.
    snowed yest in roundwood so went up the gap for a spin and didnt hit 4wd until the last bit of the hill am well happy with it,sure there a bit agricultural and bouncy being leaf spring but it slows me down,this one has later model leather seats which are electrically heated :)
    also previous owner fitted a 3.1 intercooler not sure if it makes a blind bit of difference though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

These are great jeeps. We have a 1990 one at home. It's had a reasonably tough life but is still fairly straight. One of the sills has rotted and the tailgate doors are gone at the bottom, but otherwise it's only surface rust. She'd need a full respray ideally to put it right, or even a replacement body if such a thing were available. Lights and bumper bits are cheap from Milner's but body panels are impossible to get. Mechanical bits are plentiful, especially when you consider that the Frontera shares so many components. I have to say the 2.8 engine is the quickest I have ever seen to start.

they do fire up fairly quick alright first flick off the key no matter how long left idle,we pulled one out of a field lieing up for six years a fresh battery and primed the pump and up she flew,was a tad smokey though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 cj plant agri

i have had my fair share of jeeps down trough the years in the early days it was the 2.8 then the 3.1 and then the landcruisers when the 3.0 trooper came in i switched to tayota.

the 2.8 was the better jeep in the isuzus ,and yes there was always a bit of fiddling to be done on the back end brakes. i still have a 91 trooper 2.8 and a 96 3.1 commercial, and a 96 3.1 with rear seats. and a 97 3.1 commercial, all in test the one with seats gets a nct the rest are doe. never have to spend money on them only tires, if tayota made half as good a jeep they would be the king of the road!

• Advertisement

any photos of the 2.8 cj?

any more 2.8s out there still going stick them up here see how many are left

also looking for arches for mine if anyone knows were they can still be got?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 cj plant agri

2.8trooper wrote: »
    any photos of the 2.8 cj?

any more 2.8s out there still going stick them up here see how many are left

also looking for arches for mine if anyone knows were they can still be got?

none yet will take some though, she is maroon over silver lwb, the 3.1 is blue and the 97 is black

great jeeps

any info on the recall on the 3.0 troopers i heard harris is taking them on an isuzu scrappage but thats all i heard i dont know the details

If you have a 3.0l trooper running or not they will give you 7.5k off a Dmax.

Think this leaves the dmax at something like 16k + VAT

Quite a few of them moving from what I can see in the garage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

You could give Milners a buzz in the UK, they only list bumpers on their website but if anyone knows where panels can be had, they will.

http://www.milneroffroad.com/default.asp

cheers sean will try milners i know they could be got in the day just dont seem to be available now.
    im going to a scrap yard or holding yard in wexford somewere tomorrow which is holding the 3.0l for isuzu see if i can scavange some bits.
    isnt the 16k figure all in vat included a couple of guys i know have made the purchase good value if you have the cash to pay outright or you are one of the lucky ones who will be approved for finance.
    in burtons they are crashing real clean 3.0l into each other for fun:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Guys, if anyone has a cheap 3.0 with a banjaxed engine, I'd be very interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭DirtyDiesels

Slidey wrote: »
    If you have a 3.0l trooper running or not they will give you 7.5k off a Dmax.

Think this leaves the dmax at something like 16k + VAT

Quite a few of them moving from what I can see in the garage

Lads - rang harris on monday and heres the deal,

13000 for a new Dmax when you trade in a 3.0 trooper.

there allowing 15,000 between the scfrappage scheme and the 3.0 warranty on a trade in... leaving the dmax costing you 13,000...
    3.0 are worth money now!!!!

found another one today and dragged her back body is scrap but mechanically should be good

358.jpg

347.jpg

be awhile before you see an old 2.8 towing another one if anybody needs any grey interior trim before i let the scrap man take the shell let me know

picked up another super straight lwb with a wrecked engine the other day a 60k miler engine out of red swb and in the blue lwb and its back running again.no pics cant get them off my i phone

any more out there still alive????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭746watts

welcome 2.8trooper.
    I had one of those beauties a 91 reg. Unfortunately rot got the back end up as far as where it arches over the back axle.
    Never had any trouble with it otherwise.
    When diesel was on sale for €1.42 a litre, mine ran on a 50% mix of new veggie oil (69c/litre) no problem.
    I still have the bull bar from it leaning gracefully against the side of the turf shed.
    Ahhhh memories, pity they stopped making them.
    Mine was sold on for field use only.... I'm sure the back end has a few lumps of steel welded to keep it together.

thanks 746 rear chassis aera does seem to be there downfall even thought the body bolts off the chassis they all seem to be scrapped because of it.would be nice to see a few more on the road did your one every give front hub trouble the 3 i have all seem to have banjoed front drives(auto hubs) is worth converting to manual or staying auto?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭746watts

2.8trooper wrote: »
    did your one every give front hub trouble the 3 i have all seem to have banjoed front drives(auto hubs) is worth converting to manual or staying auto?

my left front drive used to pop out when 4wd was selected (manual box), so I stripped it down and found the circlip wasn't gripping enough in the housing. So out came the hacksaw blade to deepen the grove a little, works a bit better but popped out under a higher pressure. Didn't strip it again after that. 3wd had to do.

Convert to manual if there's a kit available, free wheel hubs are a waste of time. Saves very little fuel and are something else to go wrong.

I remember doing these vaguely but cannot for the life of me remember what we used to do with them.

They did give a fair bit of trouble though, especially if you disturbed them to do something else like a ball joint or a cv boot

thanks 101 milners do a manual hub for 65 a side,mine gives a loud clicking like the front drive is only partially engageing under load like up hill in 4wd or turning while towing in 4wd,never a problem in 2wd so dont know if its both front hubs or one of them with a problem.i will need an outer cv boot soon to so may be the time to do them all??

• Advertisement

That'd be the time to do it. Thought there would be a kit for a plain drive flange, obviously not. Just leave the manual ones locked.

a pic of the blue one i picked up recently super straight body and chassis but with a siezed engine now transplanted with engine from the red swb gone to the scrap yard in the sky.

beetle004.jpg

Excellent example of an evironmentally freindly vehicle, recycled way beyond the life of any so called eco hybrid. Good work :D

it sure will a bit of tidying and the blue one should be good for another 200k and now we know were they have weak spots and with the rust preventitive treatment on the market today no reason why it wont still be trucking on in 10 years time,come on the old 2.8s lol!!! any more out there more pics needed i seem to be hogging this thread:)

i forgot about this thread for a while,well she is still going strong new discs and calipers on the rear and i now have a reasonable handbrake,a full service and a rad flush and off i went to the uk for some deliveries,450 miles on one tank of deisel 724kms i was well happy with that for a 29yr old jeep,pulled well on motorways and in no way embarresed herself.
    i never did get around to sorting the front hubs and i have a question for all in the know,i have a scrap 99 frontera that keeps my other topped up with parts,and was looking at the front hubs on it although this was shift on the fly 4wd would the hubs be transferable to the old trooper or is it a totally different set up???
    just wondering before i do go and get the manual hubs from milners

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

dunno about the hubs, but afaik the shift on the fly is simply vacuum actuated, so the whole axle might swap.

Then a vacuum solenoid, a switch and some plumbing and you'd be grand.

dunno if the whole axle will physically swap in or not though

Glad to see you're still doing your bit for the environment ;)

Fronteras were a rebadged Isuzu Mu so there may be some commonality, no harm in doing a bit of dismantling and having a look.

There was a very nice clean 91 Trooper in our vintage run last weekend, owner drove it instead of his old tractor due to the weather :rolleyes:

ah sean no pics :(
    its a frontera b 99 model i bought for 200€ the pump was knackerd will get millons off bits off to keep my swb truckin that opel charge squillions for.
    will take a few pics and see what the hubs are like they never gave a problem on my swb so this one i would say rarely ever got 4wd use so there should be no wear on them,with my luck though i reckon the halfshaft splines will be different.
    sean pics of vintage trooper asap pretty please

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭oflynno

i like them there troopers

drove a few for farmers i worked for and wouldnt mind having one in the arsenal

i had a frontera 2.3 for a few years,the brother bought one and popped the 2.8 into it,great job,only for the bistirds that changed the rules for commercial taxing seated vehicles,dreams shattered

• Advertisement

wll all my trooper is now gone to a good friend to keep him motoring through the recession he has gone from a 08 pajero lwb to my trusty 91 trooper until things pick up a bit for him in the meantime i have been given a lend of a 98 landcruiser until i emmigrate powerful machine but not nearly as sure footed as the trooper,my trooper ownership days are not over yet as i have purchased a bighorn seated one in my new home country new zealand,again a 92 2.8tdi so looking forward to joining my partner there in the coming weeks and getting back behind the wheel of these utterly reliable old workhorses.

will pop in from time to time to see how things are going on here and i will post pics of my new wagon in new zealand
    bye all

Advertisement