Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alone at Christmas

Options
  • 17-12-2014 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

hi i was just wondering if anyone else is alone for christmas and what they do as its my first christmas witout both my parents

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Do you have any siblings or extended family you could spend time with?

I'm sorry for your loss by the way and hope you have as good a Christmas as is possible given the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 hitide39

no i dont speak to my family and my friend has just had her second baby and all her family are coming to her so dont want to intrude and thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Not sure where you are based but if you look up Sober Lane in Irishtowb they are having a special day on St Steohens Day where anybody can go and have some dinner and meet people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Have you considered volunteering to help out with the Christmas Dinners that are put on for the homeless? I know there is a big one put on in the RDS for the homeless. I know it's not for everybody but just a thought!

What about planning a week away in the sun with a few good books and magazines.

I also have a strained relationship with my parents and preferred to spend Christmas away from them when I was younger.The first year I ended up just ringing a friend to share Christmas dinner together.
    In recent years my O.H and I usually only spend Christmas together...our families are just too complicated and I want to enjoy the day...no stress. We normally just went for walks in the morning on the beach or in the park before heading home for a non- complicated dinner and t.v.

Personally if I was on my own.....I would be very tempted to go for a week in the sun with a few good books!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭cadesin

hitide39 wrote: »
    hi i was just wondering if anyone else is alone for christmas and what they do as its my first christmas witout both my parents

I've been alone for a few years now myself. You are not alone in this, many people are. It doesn't have to be too lonely, especially if you keep active during the season or go to a few festive activities. Sorry you are missing your parents :( this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Sorry to hear your parents won't be with you this Christmas.

Could you invite friends over to yours for Christmas day? Perhaps make an event up on Facebook and invite friends eg. "cocktails after mass". You could serve Bloody Mary's + canapes. It could last an hour or so - I think lots of people may be interested in popping in to see you?

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

I'm in the same boat OP.
    i live alone and I don't talk to my birth family much, and don't want to spend xmas with them TBH! I think they feel like they have to have me over on Xmas because I've nowhere else to go, but I'm sick of the tension when I'm with them..

I would volunteer at one of the kitchens, but I've no transport to get out to one.

I was even thinking of having dinner in a hotel but there's nothing within a 10 mile radius of where I am..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I thoroughly recommend a week in the sun - I head to the Canaries with a friend. Christmas day is very low key there - last year we went out for pizza at lunch time and went out for an ordinary dinner in the evening. We bring a pile of books!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

hitide39 wrote: »

I think Christmas (even for bah humbugs like myself) can be very tough when someone you love dearly has died. (Don't know if that's the case for you though) either way, tough to be without your mam and dad. Very sad and tough in fact. And I know.

I totally understand your post OP. My heartfelt sympathy on your loss. I was you a few years ago.

Christmas is just a fekin day. We get through it, but it will never be the same again. Anyway.

I wish I had Christmas to myself. I would love that, but then again I am an introvert personality type so that would suit me, but not everyone.

Get into your PJs, buy the best food and drink you can afford, pig out, and think of all the rows and drunken shyte that goes on around you in various houses.

And then you wake up on Stephen's Day, and it's all over.

I hope you will be OK and can I ask why you will be alone, abroad? no contact with siblings/cousins etc?

Think of places that do not celebrate Christmas. They get on fine.

I think it is emotional. Of course it is. For me too. Those places at the table are empty.

I don't really like Christmas at all, but I get on with it, it's only one day.

My very best wishes OP. You must be heartbroken. What can I say?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Emmaline81

I live on my own and have always spent Christmas alone and one year I volunteered to help with the dinners which was VERY hard work! I only had 6 on my table whereas most of them had 12 - 20 people to serve. One bonus was that there were large bags of groceries handed out to everyone and I went home with a bag of bread products, another of cakes and biscuits and another of vegetables... kept me going for many weeks.
    However, now I am disabled so that's out of the question so I go on a cruise every year instead. I choose the cheapest I can get as I can't go off ship but treat myself to some nice pampering .. and the food is fab!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Mods, feel free to merge this to previous threads about Christmases on your own, but I thought we could try to put together a feel-good thread for those who are alone at Christmas but would like to enjoy it anyway.

I have two tips to kick us off.

If you are on your lonesome but would still like to send and receive a gift, consider joining this massive online community to do a secret santa with a stranger! https://www.redditgifts.com/exchanges/secret-santa-2015/?source=sshare-ss There's a lovely build-up and a chance to post photos and thank you notes afterwards. :)

Join Twitter and follow Sarah Millican. Every year Sarah and sometimes others host a hashtag conversation for people who are watching telly on their own. It is called the #joinin campaign and you can read about it here. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/christmas/11313146/Twitter-joinin-campaign-helps-support-anyone-alone-this-Christmas.html

I would also suggest taking yourself along to a carol service to meet a few people, preferably somewhere where they offer a cuppa or a glass of mulled wine afterwards. Churches are well used to being full up around Christmas time and are usually delighted to have visitors, regardless of their religious beliefs.

I would also say, use the time alone to treat yourself. Get some new jammies, snuggle up, give yourself a manicure, watch a favourite film, have a lovely glass of wine and your favourite foods. Arrange a phonecall or skype call with someone over the course of the day. Be nice to yourself and buy yourself a present.

Any more tips for a Merry Christmas on your tobler? :)

Advertisement