Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2.8 trooper

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭2.8trooper

hi all long time no post i went to a local 4x4 winch challenge and took some photos and thought i would stick some up here for you all to see,seems to have a good following here.
    4x4havelock014.jpg
    4x4havelock017.jpg
    4x4havelock019.jpg
    4x4havelock016.jpg
    4x4havelock020.jpg
    4x4havelock021.jpg
    4x4havelock022.jpg
    4x4havelock030.jpg

4x4havelock032.jpg
    4x4havelock037.jpg
    4x4havelock040.jpg
    4x4havelock041.jpg
    4x4havelock048.jpg
    4x4havelock051.jpg
    4x4havelock053.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Great pictures. That sort of event is getting popular here now.

is it ye? we were following the blue prado thats why the majority of the photos are of it,its quite a bit of kit it has a supra 3.0 petrol engine supercharged and auto box,not many diesels doing it as the petrol has the power.i didnt realise the sections are timed and some of the rules are tough enough especially on the winch man didnt look like a lot of fun.
    there was also a hilux i think its in one of the first photos a white one its got a chevy v8 in it boy does it storm through the woods.
    the wranglers do very well going most places others cant,although they get penalised for driving when they are meant to be winching,funny sort of set up really.

Must admit it's not my cup of tea, as for being the winch bitch, no way!

The sound of a hard working V8 takes some beating :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

I'd love to join the Trooper 2.8 brigade, but am finding it hard to find a good one ! The ones on Donedeal are usually gone before I can get to them... If anyone happens to know where I'd find one I'd be very appreciative !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

I'd love to join the Trooper 2.8 brigade, but am finding it hard to find a good one ! The ones on Donedeal are usually gone before I can get to them... If anyone happens to know where I'd find one I'd be very appreciative !!!

Can you weld? If you can or have access to a good welder then get a rusty one (most of them) cheap and fix it. The mechanical bits will almost certainly be grand it's just that they always rust at the rear of the chassis and the back door. (and everywhere else but those are the worst really). Its such a shame that so many were thrown away because of what was (at the time, a lot went in the late 90s-early 00s) maybe a couple of hundred worth of welding that woudl have kept them passing tests for another good while

I went back to an old favourite of mine and got a battered 2001 Fourtrak. Delighted with her ! Thanks Conrad.

I went back to an old favourite of mine and got a battered 2001 Fourtrak. Delighted with her ! Thanks Conrad.

I think i had a fairly protracted conversation with you about those at one stage didn't i? I like those a lot myself but they're just a bit small for me for long term use. Great little workhorses though

You sure did ! :D

• Advertisement

You sure did ! :D

well i could talk about manky old diesel powered things for many hours haha. Glad you got another one, i still havnt got around to getting something for offroad fun again, have my old vw wagon for workhorse duties/towin the boat but tis not the same, i've never been without the use something 4x4 for this long. ah well. anyway.... back to troopers before this gos too far off topic....

Passed a tidy enough lwb one this evening towing a large horsebox. Good to see some still working and came across another one a few days ago sitting up in a secret location as the owner said he'd had too many people lookin for it for export but didnt want to sell it. An old lad probably 70+ he said it's off the road because the rear diff is gone so havin taken pity on him i now have to try find him one. I initially wanted to see if he'd sell it but he bought it new and says he'll never let it go. Started it up for me and all, also showed me the pile of metal chunks that used to be the diff.

The Suzuki Vitara and SJs are popular among extreme off roaders now, I know at least one die hard Land Rover owner who's gone over the the Zook side for getting down and dirty:eek:

Just back from off roading at Dartfield, I'll stick some pics in another thread and leave this one for 2.8troopers pics from the other side of the globe.

havent checked in here in a while,not much to report other than the alternator decided to wee oil everywere just the little seal gone inside,10 dollars for the seal and whole lot of cursing from me to get the alternator off and on again without crying.
    only for the heat in summer i was goin to fire that air con unit into the sea.one poxy 14 bolt at the rear of the unit do you think i could get anything in to tighten it?
    conrad a mate has a spare back axle in wicklow if your stuck,not sure if he would part with it or not.was it the front or rear diff that went?
    there is also a scrap one not far from him,and there is a guy in newcastle west with a few.

the blue prado in the 4x4 pics is nearly back together after its last event when they winched a tree on top of it,its also got more power to.
    i have been going to gravel hillclimbs in rally cars latley as the 4x4 season is near over to dry in summer its to easy for them i think.

2.8trooper wrote: »
    conrad a mate has a spare back axle in wicklow if your stuck,not sure if he would part with it or not.was it the front or rear diff that went?
    there is also a scrap one not far from him,and there is a guy in newcastle west with a few.

Rear diff, was in bits. Found one anyway and it's grand now, never called back to find out if he ever brought it for a test or not

did a few wee jobs on the old bus today or the culchie limo as they were reffered to in the day by dubs:D
    the heat in summer here fades the lenses so i had two shipped over from millners in the uk 7 pounds each after taking the old ones off the seal that seals the lense to the light unit had perished and was letting dust into the light unit,so i got some windscreen goo and pumped it into the recess and i put a smear of oil in first and left them in the sun to dry,about an hour later had two brand new gaskets which seal much better now as they are softer.
    put them all back together and she looks much smarter now on the back end,so i have one new front indicator and need another to do the front and one headlight as the chrome is starting to lift inside.
    thats a few little jobs out the way,when she hits 200k i will do all the inlet manifold gaskets and decoke and all the vacum pipes and a service.

Lovely to see one getting continually looked after

Advertisement