Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-05-2020, 13:59   #16
scrubs33

Years (and years) ago when I was attempting to study History for my leaving I remember hearing the term RealPolitik, I think it was Bismark? If ever political realities are going to hit home I think they will over this. I can see the 1m distancing coming in before too long irrespective of what NPHET have to say. Of course it will be couched in very nice terms but realpolitik will win out I feel.
Advertisement
28-05-2020, 16:39   #17
solerina

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheValeyard View Post
Im actually okay when we do that. We usually come back an extra day early for prep then, then another day off in September and the day before or after Paddys day. Nice little way to break up the year.
I don’t see why we give up a day of holidays to sit and have meetings that are all mostly box ticking exercises just to have a few hours done, it’s bad enough doing them after work on a Thursday without losing a days holiday over them, I wouldn’t mind if they were actually productive !!
(2) thanks from:
28-05-2020, 19:18   #18
ethical

Welcome to 24/7 teachiing!
Forget Croke Park hours,we must have done at the very least 5 years worth since March 12th!
Could you imagine that a school did CP hours recently,they must be awful idiots to put up with a plonker of a Principal that would even consider this.
The Unions have been worse than useless in the past few agreements regarding working conditions.
Paschal must realise that if he starts AUSTERITY again the workers of Ireland will be out on the streets.
Teaching has turned into a very selfish ME,ME,ME existence.
Many staff do not give a sh1t about the collective,as long as they get what they want abd feck the rest of ye.
A job with one of the Multi national supermarkets would provide a better lifestyle than the sh1t teachers have to put up with.

Hope ye all got your virtual end of year drinks and dinners!
28-05-2020, 19:25   #19
deiseindublin

Edited coz looking again the dates don't look right.

Last edited by deiseindublin; 28-05-2020 at 19:30.
29-05-2020, 16:33   #20
solerina

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethical View Post
Hope ye all got your virtual end of year drinks and dinners!
�� same as every year virtual but still non existent !!
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
29-05-2020, 23:28   #21
Treppen

Quote:
Originally Posted by solerina View Post
�� same as every year virtual but still non existent !!
I got a metaphorical bunch of flowers one year. Delighted I was.
(2) thanks from:
30-05-2020, 11:05   #22
km79

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...t-1002571.html

Not sure what the teacher bashers over in AH will make of this ?
Will be our fault somehow! Maybe we should be providing the sanitizer and PPE ......save the dept a few pound !
30-05-2020, 14:36   #23
Treppen

Quote:
Originally Posted by km79 View Post
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...t-1002571.html

Not sure what the teacher bashers over in AH will make of this ?
Will be our fault somehow! Maybe we should be providing the sanitizer and PPE ......save the dept a few pound !
Ya it's a bit the junior and leaving cert doesn't cost any money, cos if it it did we could have saved a fortune. Cos all markers, supervisors, exams aide and invigilators work for free... And definitely don't get expenses.
31-05-2020, 00:21   #24
Chilli Con Kearney

Perhaps I am missing the point, but if the government is pushing hard for a return by the end of August and commentators, journalists, parents, etc are backing this with research, examples from other countries, how come the Leaving Certificate could not take place a few weeks beforehand?

Joe, Ciara, the students 'union', the government and many parents were saying how unsafe it was going to be, but now push for openings? I'm genuinely confused.
Advertisement
31-05-2020, 00:34   #25
Mardy Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli Con Kearney View Post
Perhaps I am missing the point, but if the government is pushing hard for a return by the end of August and commentators, journalists, parents, etc are backing this with research, examples from other countries, how come the Leaving Certificate could not take place a few weeks beforehand?

Joe, Ciara, the students 'union', the government and many parents were saying how unsafe it was going to be, but now push for openings? I'm genuinely confused.
They needed to save money. That was the primary reason.
31-05-2020, 09:36   #26
joebloggs32

This is where the chickens will come home to roost following the blank cheque book of the last few months, and its only the beginning.

The covid payment of €350 per week was admirable, but has no oversight.
Thousands of part time workers like students who have no significant financial obligations have been getting €350 per week. My sister in law picked it up having previously earned less than €150 a week while in college. She moved home to finish her study and stopped paying rent. Now she has just splashed out €2500 on a car for herself!
There must have been tens of millions thrown out like snuff at a wake, but yet we don't have to buy hand sanitiser
31-05-2020, 10:35   #27
Mardy Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebloggs32 View Post
This is where the chickens will come home to roost following the blank cheque book of the last few months, and its only the beginning.

Thousands of part time workers like students who have no significant financial obligations have been getting €350 per week. My sister in law picked it up having previously earned less than €150 a week while in college. She moved home to finish her study and stopped paying rent. Now she has just splashed out €2500 on a car for herself!
There must have been tens of millions thrown out like snuff at a wake, but yet we don't have to buy hand sanitiser
Children can't vote.
Thanks from:
31-05-2020, 11:57   #28
Treppen

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebloggs32 View Post

Leaving aside the equity and morality etc. Giving everyone money is a form of pump priming (from my secondary school economics).
More than likely your sister in law will put all that money back into the economy, and the multiplier effect follows.
Giving thousands to businesses might only cover loans etc. And then the chances of closure are very high, which as you know diverts money to banks & larger creditors (f'all multiplier effect there).

It's odd them going on about not being able to afford hand sanitizer. I presume they hope parents will cough up as they might be desperate to get back to work etc.

I wonder do the TDs have to pay a voluntary contribution every year to pay for toilet roll and soap?
Thanks from:
31-05-2020, 13:16   #29
man_no_plan

The department think we have enough left over from using less electricity and heating since march..... it'll be grand sure.🙄
03-06-2020, 22:39   #30
Millem

We are actually back 28th August.
I wouldn’t mind those croke park hours as much if we could do them online etc. Our staff meetings are working out so much better since lock down tbh. Much more efficient.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion