Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
28-05-2020, 13:59   #16
scrubs33
Registered User
 
scrubs33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 48
Years (and years) ago when I was attempting to study History for my leaving I remember hearing the term RealPolitik, I think it was Bismark? If ever political realities are going to hit home I think they will over this. I can see the 1m distancing coming in before too long irrespective of what NPHET have to say. Of course it will be couched in very nice terms but realpolitik will win out I feel.
scrubs33 is offline  
Advertisement
28-05-2020, 16:39   #17
solerina
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheValeyard View Post
Im actually okay when we do that. We usually come back an extra day early for prep then, then another day off in September and the day before or after Paddys day. Nice little way to break up the year.
I don’t see why we give up a day of holidays to sit and have meetings that are all mostly box ticking exercises just to have a few hours done, it’s bad enough doing them after work on a Thursday without losing a days holiday over them, I wouldn’t mind if they were actually productive !!
solerina is offline  
(2) thanks from:
28-05-2020, 19:18   #18
ethical
Registered User
 
ethical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 599
Welcome to 24/7 teachiing!
Forget Croke Park hours,we must have done at the very least 5 years worth since March 12th!
Could you imagine that a school did CP hours recently,they must be awful idiots to put up with a plonker of a Principal that would even consider this.
The Unions have been worse than useless in the past few agreements regarding working conditions.
Paschal must realise that if he starts AUSTERITY again the workers of Ireland will be out on the streets.
Teaching has turned into a very selfish ME,ME,ME existence.
Many staff do not give a sh1t about the collective,as long as they get what they want abd feck the rest of ye.
A job with one of the Multi national supermarkets would provide a better lifestyle than the sh1t teachers have to put up with.

Hope ye all got your virtual end of year drinks and dinners!
ethical is offline  
28-05-2020, 19:25   #19
deiseindublin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,587
Edited coz looking again the dates don't look right.

Last edited by deiseindublin; 28-05-2020 at 19:30.
deiseindublin is offline  
29-05-2020, 16:33   #20
solerina
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethical View Post
Hope ye all got your virtual end of year drinks and dinners!
�� same as every year virtual but still non existent !!
solerina is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
29-05-2020, 23:28   #21
Treppen
Registered User
 
Treppen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by solerina View Post
�� same as every year virtual but still non existent !!
I got a metaphorical bunch of flowers one year. Delighted I was.
Treppen is offline  
(2) thanks from:
30-05-2020, 11:05   #22
km79
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 44,542
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...t-1002571.html

Not sure what the teacher bashers over in AH will make of this ?
Will be our fault somehow! Maybe we should be providing the sanitizer and PPE ......save the dept a few pound !
km79 is offline  
30-05-2020, 14:36   #23
Treppen
Registered User
 
Treppen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by km79 View Post
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...t-1002571.html

Not sure what the teacher bashers over in AH will make of this ?
Will be our fault somehow! Maybe we should be providing the sanitizer and PPE ......save the dept a few pound !
Ya it's a bit the junior and leaving cert doesn't cost any money, cos if it it did we could have saved a fortune. Cos all markers, supervisors, exams aide and invigilators work for free... And definitely don't get expenses.
Treppen is offline  
31-05-2020, 00:21   #24
Chilli Con Kearney
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 295
Perhaps I am missing the point, but if the government is pushing hard for a return by the end of August and commentators, journalists, parents, etc are backing this with research, examples from other countries, how come the Leaving Certificate could not take place a few weeks beforehand?

Joe, Ciara, the students 'union', the government and many parents were saying how unsafe it was going to be, but now push for openings? I'm genuinely confused.
Chilli Con Kearney is offline  
Advertisement
31-05-2020, 00:34   #25
Mardy Bum
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli Con Kearney View Post
Perhaps I am missing the point, but if the government is pushing hard for a return by the end of August and commentators, journalists, parents, etc are backing this with research, examples from other countries, how come the Leaving Certificate could not take place a few weeks beforehand?

Joe, Ciara, the students 'union', the government and many parents were saying how unsafe it was going to be, but now push for openings? I'm genuinely confused.
They needed to save money. That was the primary reason.
Mardy Bum is offline  
31-05-2020, 09:36   #26
joebloggs32
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 968
This is where the chickens will come home to roost following the blank cheque book of the last few months, and its only the beginning.

The covid payment of €350 per week was admirable, but has no oversight.
Thousands of part time workers like students who have no significant financial obligations have been getting €350 per week. My sister in law picked it up having previously earned less than €150 a week while in college. She moved home to finish her study and stopped paying rent. Now she has just splashed out €2500 on a car for herself!
There must have been tens of millions thrown out like snuff at a wake, but yet we don't have to buy hand sanitiser
joebloggs32 is offline  
31-05-2020, 10:35   #27
Mardy Bum
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebloggs32 View Post
This is where the chickens will come home to roost following the blank cheque book of the last few months, and its only the beginning.

The covid payment of €350 per week was admirable, but has no oversight.
Thousands of part time workers like students who have no significant financial obligations have been getting €350 per week. My sister in law picked it up having previously earned less than €150 a week while in college. She moved home to finish her study and stopped paying rent. Now she has just splashed out €2500 on a car for herself!
There must have been tens of millions thrown out like snuff at a wake, but yet we don't have to buy hand sanitiser
Children can't vote.
Mardy Bum is offline  
Thanks from:
31-05-2020, 11:57   #28
Treppen
Registered User
 
Treppen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebloggs32 View Post
This is where the chickens will come home to roost following the blank cheque book of the last few months, and its only the beginning.

The covid payment of €350 per week was admirable, but has no oversight.
Thousands of part time workers like students who have no significant financial obligations have been getting €350 per week. My sister in law picked it up having previously earned less than €150 a week while in college. She moved home to finish her study and stopped paying rent. Now she has just splashed out €2500 on a car for herself!
There must have been tens of millions thrown out like snuff at a wake, but yet we don't have to buy hand sanitiser
Leaving aside the equity and morality etc. Giving everyone money is a form of pump priming (from my secondary school economics).
More than likely your sister in law will put all that money back into the economy, and the multiplier effect follows.
Giving thousands to businesses might only cover loans etc. And then the chances of closure are very high, which as you know diverts money to banks & larger creditors (f'all multiplier effect there).

It's odd them going on about not being able to afford hand sanitizer. I presume they hope parents will cough up as they might be desperate to get back to work etc.

I wonder do the TDs have to pay a voluntary contribution every year to pay for toilet roll and soap?
Treppen is offline  
Thanks from:
31-05-2020, 13:16   #29
man_no_plan
Registered User
 
man_no_plan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 983
The department think we have enough left over from using less electricity and heating since march..... it'll be grand sure.🙄
man_no_plan is offline  
03-06-2020, 22:39   #30
Millem
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 7,190
We are actually back 28th August.
I wouldn’t mind those croke park hours as much if we could do them online etc. Our staff meetings are working out so much better since lock down tbh. Much more efficient.
Millem is offline  
(3) thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet