Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-03-2020, 13:48   #1
sweetie

Printer for working from home

Need a good value and well regarded printer. Preferably bricks and mortar.
Advertisement
20-03-2020, 13:55   #2
Damien360

You could pay any price on these. I have stuck with HP which you can get in any pc world or Harvey Norman’s. Models change all the time so walk in and see what’s there.

The price will be inkjet lower price to laser jet very expensive.
Do you want just a printer or combined with a scanner which is very handy. Network ability or just USB connection. All these options change the pricing. Best to walk into a store (if we can still do that with Covid 19) and purchase.

Either way, ink will be an ongoing expense.
20-03-2020, 13:57   #3
colm_mcm

Would a mono laser printer be suitable, do you need it to scan and copy as well?

Something like this?
https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing...67953-pdt.html
Thanks from:
20-03-2020, 14:01   #4
joefuss1986

Laser are the way to go. Something like this https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing...24890-pdt.html

Generally Brother are a good brand. One of the most reasonable on ink. Genuine in for the one above is less that €40 for 1000 page capacity. Not an expert but the best thing you can do is look them up in Curry's etc and Google the price of ink and reviews, I find Amazon decent for reviews.
Thanks from:
20-03-2020, 14:02   #5
colm_mcm

I’m using an old brother one and get 1000-1500 sheets per cartridge, I’d reckon a cheap inkjet might be 10% of that?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
20-03-2020, 14:26   #6
sweetie

Thanks for the swift response guys. Yes mono would probably suffice, it's for the missus so mainly docs to sign etc and I have access to colour in work. lowered ink cost certainly a bonus. Will investigate further but those look good options.
21-03-2020, 10:29   #7
vidapura

If I can save you the misery I have, then I'd suggest you don't buy an Epson photo printer anyway.

Bloody thing drives me nuts.
Has a big Black cartridge but refuses to use it if any of the four photo colour cartridges are out...

So right now I have a full Black cartridge but the printer won't print B&W documents cos its not happy bout the colour cartridges even though Im not trying to print a photo...

Stupid bloody thing.
(2) thanks from:
21-03-2020, 10:43   #8
Alun

Just another vote for laser as opposed to inkjet. If mono is enough you can get a small laser printer very cheaply, 123ink.ie have a Brother one for only 62.50. Even a full colour one isn't that expensive once you factor in the printing costs.

Another advantage is that you don't get the problem you can get with inkjet printers where, if you don't use them frequently enough, the heads get bunged up with dried ink and you then waste loads of ink doing a cleaning cycle. A laser printer will just fire up and print within seconds of you sending the print job to it day in day out.
(2) thanks from:
21-03-2020, 16:50   #9
colm_mcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidapura View Post
If I can save you the misery I have, then I'd suggest you don't buy an Epson photo printer anyway.

Bloody thing drives me nuts.
Has a big Black cartridge but refuses to use it if any of the four photo colour cartridges are out...

So right now I have a full Black cartridge but the printer won't print B&W documents cos its not happy bout the colour cartridges even though Im not trying to print a photo...

Stupid bloody thing.
I feel your pain! Wouldn’t even print standard black and white documents If the photo black cartridge was low, and even the XL cartridges were tiny. It was excellent for printing photos though.
Advertisement
21-03-2020, 19:58   #10
youcancallmeal

I'm looking for a basic colour laser printer(wireless), is this the best option. Seems like a good price
21-03-2020, 20:04   #11
antix80

Hp instant ink may be an option. I got one that was dirt cheap and has 15 pages a month for free OR a free trial of a subscription service - pick the most expensive option and reduce it at the end of the free trial. May be useful to get you through a few months but you can't use the free cartridges without a subscription and can't return to the free plan after a free trial
21-03-2020, 20:43   #12
Alun

Quote:
Originally Posted by youcancallmeal View Post
I'm looking for a basic colour laser printer(wireless), is this the best option. Seems like a good price
Looks good. I have an older version of that one but double sided, the HL-3150CDW. I see there's a double sided version of the one you linked to called the HL-L3230CDW for very little more, might be worth considering.

By the way, the same as with inkjet printers, the toner cartridges it comes with are lower capacity than the standard ones, so maybe get a set while you're at it. The 123ink.ie versions are much cheaper and there's no discernible difference as far as I can see to the official Brother ones.
Thanks from:
21-03-2020, 21:11   #13
august12

Quote:
Originally Posted by antix80 View Post
Hp instant ink may be an option. I got one that was dirt cheap and has 15 pages a month for free OR a free trial of a subscription service - pick the most expensive option and reduce it at the end of the free trial. May be useful to get you through a few months but you can't use the free cartridges without a subscription and can't return to the free plan after a free trial
I've just bought one of these printers, pretty good for my use, printed some photos and the quality is quite good, signed up to the free option i.e. 15 pages, it pays to read the small print as I had originally thought I could trial for 5 months and then opt for the free subscription, but this is not an option as you've also noted. I bough the 5032 model.
22-03-2020, 17:49   #14
youcancallmeal

Went for a brother mono laser in the end. Couldn't justify the extra cost for colour printing which would probably be infrequently used, like full set of replacement cartridges is more than the cost of mono printer
Thanks from:
22-03-2020, 17:54   #15
Alun

Quote:
Originally Posted by youcancallmeal View Post
Went for a brother mono laser in the end. Couldn't justify the extra cost for colour printing which would probably be infrequently used, like full set of replacement cartridges is more than the cost of mono printer
Yes, for most people, that's a perfectly good solution, especially for home office use. Which one did you go for?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion