Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This is my company! I built this company!

• 31-05-2015 9:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭

Weird question, but I was talking to someone earlier about founders getting ousted from their companies, and both of us remembered a scene from a recent TV or film (as in, something we had both seen in the last week or two-- maybe not recent release, but definitely recently aired) where a guy was getting booted from his company.

He was standing at the head of a large table of board members, all of whom were silent and uncomfortable looking as he tried to convince them not to kick him out, and in the end he left frustrated, betrayed, and angry.

Can anyone remember what this scene was from? I've been (w)racking my brains for the last two hours and coming up a blank.

Anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Was it the film about steve jobs? Was on tv while back

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

On a more serious note, I do remember seeing something like that but I have no idea what it was called.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

You both watched the movie within the last week and can't remember what the movie was?

This will probably be of use to you OP: http://www.alzheimer.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

The Wolf of Wall Sreet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

Specialun wrote: »
    Was it the film about steve jobs? Was on tv while back

yeah that's what I thought of too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

Could it have been batman? Im pretty sure the second or third film has a part where the board tries to kill wayne out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Was it Mad Men? I've watched about 35 minutes of Mad Men but I could imagine it ending like that.

Did I mention I've watched Mad Men?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

It wasn't the Jobs movie and it wasn't Batman. I don't think it was Wolf of Wall Street, either. It might even have been a television show?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Is it this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Empire?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Sack me?
    Sack me?
    I made the bbc!

Ha ha ha ha

Tilly wrote: »
    Empire?

It might have been that, actually. Was there a scene like this in that recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Game of Thrones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

DivingDuck wrote: »
    It might have been that, actually. Was there a scene like this in that recently?

Yup with the wife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Spiderman

Willem Defoe is ousted and becomes The Green Goblin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Biffo Cowen at the Fianna Fail Ard Fheis?

Weird question, but I was talking to someone earlier about founders getting ousted from their companies, and both of us remembered a scene from a recent TV or film (as in, something we had both seen in the last week or two-- maybe not recent release, but definitely recently aired) where a guy was getting booted from his company.

He was standing at the head of a large table of board members, all of whom were silent and uncomfortable looking as he tried to convince them not to kick him out, and in the end he left frustrated, betrayed, and angry.

Can anyone remember what this scene was from? I've been (w)racking my brains for the last two hours and coming up a blank.

Anyone?

Harry Gordon Selfridge perhaps ? Played by Jeremy Piven on the itv show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

Your description really reminded me of Willem Defoe in SpiderMan from 2002.

"Do you know how much I sacrificed?!" was one of the best screamed lines ever, in my opinion.

Great film too, although maybe I'm remembering it a bit too fondly. Might give it a watch soon.

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Spiderman

Willem Defoe is ousted and becomes The Green Goblin

YES, THAT WAS IT!

You're my new hero. Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Only scene that springs to mind is Willem Dafoe from the Spiderman movie which has already been mentioned.

• Advertisement

Your description really reminded me of Willem Defoe in SpiderMan from 2002.

"Do you know how much I sacrificed?!" was one of the best screamed lines ever, in my opinion.

Great film too, although maybe I'm remembering it a bit too fondly. Might give it a watch soon.

That was it exactly, it was on during the week. Great scene, that stuck with me, even if the specifics got a bit lost along the way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Person of Interest. S04E19 "Search and Destroy"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭IamNotNumber

Anyone?

Did he get booted from the company or did he just jump out the window?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

You know what is a really great scene in Spiderman?

Mary Jane in the rain.

I think what I've learned from this is that it's fairly common for people to get ousted from their fictional companies.

And apparently it's on the increase in real ones, as well.

Thanks for reminding me what it was, I genuinely felt like I was going mad for a while there.

Thanks for reminding me what it was, I genuinely felt like I was going mad for a while there.
    You are, don't worry though I called the men in white suits, everything will be fine soon.
    You know what is a really great scene in Spiderman?

Mary Jane in the rain.
    Can't argue there. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,416 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Film quotes have a habit of becoming misquotes. Nobody ever said Play it again Sam.

On that basis two possibilities are:

http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0239189/quotes

For thirty years, I've been holding you up! I built this company up from nothing! Nothing's gonna stand in my way - least of all, *you*!

http://filmsfoodandfandom.tumblr.com/post/114778362726/i-built-this-company-on-my-own-with-nobodys-help

I built this company on my own with nobody’s help! It was just me, my computer, and a $9 million loan from my father

You are, don't worry though I called the men in white suits, everything will be fine soon.

Can't argue there. :D

White suits or white coats?

Because while some psychiatric professionals would be welcome, I could do without a bunch of footballers/groomsmen/Westlife trooping about the house.

White suits or white coats?

Because while some psychiatric professionals would be welcome, I could do without a bunch of footballers/groomsmen/Westlife trooping about the house.
    :pac: Well if you weren't crazy before Westlife showed up to your house . . .

• Advertisement

:pac: Well if you weren't crazy before Westlife showed up to your house . . .

I'm reminded suddenly of that 12 Days of Christmas parody from Frank Kelly...

I'm reminded suddenly of that 12 Days of Christmas parody from Frank Kelly...
    That's probably just the insanity taking over.

That's probably just the insanity taking over.

You're right. I'm going to start signing off all my correspondence as Gobnait O'Lunacy from here on out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I think it was Spider Man when Norman Osbourne was ousted by the board members.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I believe Randolph and Mortimer Duke say something like that close to the end of Trading Places.

One of the great comedies of the 80's. It comes with the Von Bismarck comedy seal of approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭joollyparo

It most likely SUITS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

The social network?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Yeah Spider-Man 2 is actually a great film. 3 and the reboot pale in comparison.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Like when Earle took Wayne Enterprises public ?

Advertisement