Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you move up North?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

It'll just make it funnier when I recount it! :)

Or they'll just think "Whats this gob****e on about now?" and go about their business as i'd imagine most people would when someone recounts an internet story for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Statistically speaking Glasgow is actually the murder capital of these islands and not by a small margin either!

Dublin - 3.02
    Belfast - 3.37
    London - 2.25
    Glasgow - 5.34

Dublin's ranking's almost entirely down to gang-on-gang drug crime and Belfast's is a mixture of legacy terrorist issues and a bit of drug gang crime.

All of those cities are still massively safer than actually 'murder capitals' and multiple times safer than most US cities.

E.g. : 58.07 homicides per 100,000 in El Salvador.
    St Louis : 49.93
    Detroit : 44.87
    Baltimore (not West Cork) 33.92

South Africa : Cape Town : 60.00

The IRA's have sorted most of the drug dealers out up their, that's why there's very little drug wars in Republican places.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Judging from this thread, the main difference between the North and South is that Southerners are pussies who think there is a weird 'vibe' about the place. You cant judge a whole country of 2 million on one bad experience or perceived threat.

I'm in Cork now and there are a LOT of angry ***** here but that doest mean im not going to live in the country again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The IRA's have sorted most of the drug dealers out up their, that's why there's very little drug wars in Republican places.

Cornered the market you mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Or they'll just think "Whats this gob****e on about now?" and go about their business as i'd imagine most people would when someone recounts an internet story for them.

'Hostile' was how you found the atmosphere I think you said? An yet your post, it's so hostile. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

'Hostile' was how you found the atmosphere I think you said? An yet your post, it's so hostile. :D

Not hostile, just realistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I love Belfast and I'd have no problem living there.

The problems only start when you venture out of the cities and into the more rural areas. It's like the Deep South of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Not hostile, just realistic.

Let's compromise - holistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

I'd rather go live with some Cannibal tribal in the Amazon then have to live the DUP's bigoted bull****. If they they weren't there tho then yeah.

There's plenty of bigotry to go around down south as well. Even within this thread in fact.

I like most of what I've experienced up north. Belfast is a good town and Derry not bad either. Great people are fairly common and a wry SOH which I enjoy.

The 'bad vibe' thing is such a banal cliché at this stage it's pretty much the least intelligent or insightful thing you could say about the place. Bad vibe me hole.

Imagine returning from Brittany or Andalusia or Saxony and reporting you 'just got a bad vibe in the place'. Absurd.

Even all the crazy tribal stuff is interesting as fcuk. I love a quick spin up the Shankill just on the off chance I'll see a few cartoon stereotypes. But then I'm not afraid of the world at large.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭circadian

Some serious paranoid heads in this thread.

I spent 18 years in the north with little trouble. Knackers are going to be knackers anywhere and need very little reason to behave the way they do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Spent a couple of days in Belfast Last year for work, didn't like it at all. Felt on edge all the time and always looking over my shoulder and that was with a large group of people (30+). Wouldn't really like to visit again never mind live there.

BOO!
    *laughs manically*
    John Doe1 wrote: »
    It is really weird hearing people down the country think of Northern Ireland as some alien land filled with close minded bigots. I am from Letterkenny and there are very little differences between people from here and say Omagh.

There is some of the most beautiful scenery in Europe there and some of the friendliest most straightforward people you could meet.

Away hame wi'yer truth, ye Fenian ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 FranDub

I was living in Derry til recently ! Good craic !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,269 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

This thread is full of lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Used to live in Belfast, I wouldn't move back. The weather is ball freezing and the opening hours are nothing short of criminal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Not in a month of Sundays, never again.
    Lived up North for a year and absolutely detested it.

Like a previous poster said, there's just this depressing atmosphere and sense of doom and gloom about it.
    The people go around with scowls on their faces, it always seemed grey, even in summer, and don't get me started on the accent.

I fcuking hate the Northern Ireland accents; cannot believe someone said it's sexy, it's horrible.

So severe and narky and I said before I can't even watch UTV because I'm reminded of how much I hated living up North.

My whole mood used to change when I'd set foot back in Dublin; things seemed brighter and everyone seemed happier.
    I don't think I'd ever even want to go up North for a visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

fussyonion wrote: »
    Not in a month of Sundays, never again.
    Lived up North for a year and absolutely detested it.

Like a previous poster said, there's just this depressing atmosphere and sense of doom and gloom about it.
    The people go around with scowls on their faces, it always seemed grey, even in summer, and don't get me started on the accent.

I fcuking hate the Northern Ireland accents; cannot believe someone said it's sexy, it's horrible.

So severe and narky and I said before I can't even watch UTV because I'm reminded of how much I hated living up North.

My whole mood used to change when I'd set foot back in Dublin; things seemed brighter and everyone seemed happier.
    I don't think I'd ever even want to go up North for a visit.
    Come back. We miss you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

I visit Belfast on a regular basis, weekly or fortnightly and I have to say that I love the place. Know people from both sides of the divide and I have found them to be equally welcoming. Never had a moments bother there. I think people take too much notice of the media here w.r.t. N.I..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I have a soft neutral Irish accent with a hint of norniron and the ladies quite like it. :)
    the opening hours are nothing short of criminal.

That's very true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Roads are a thousand times better in the north. Potholes are as rare as a gay bar in Roscommon.

This represents an outdated stereotype, on 2 counts.

I will say that with a lower income it's much easier to buy a house in a decent area than it is in Dublin. For young families there are some advantages to living up north. There is a decent IT industry, albeit in it's formative stages, and the school system is good. Without paying outrageous fees you can get your kid into a decent grammar (likely segregated on religious lines unfortunately, but you could say the same about CBS schools in RoI).

Of course if you go with negative perceptions and problems with the accent etc then yes, you're going to have a bad time. If you make an effort the people will take to you very quickly, that said if you turn up with an attitude you'll find that northern folk from whatever background do not suffer fools. They'll be quick enough to tell you to wind your neck in. If that's not your thing, and if accents annoy or you have preconceptions you are better off avoiding the frozen north.

Also, just pretend that the politicians do no exist, no one will bring it up socially (forbidden topic!) and you can get on with your life. In person I would only discuss politics with family and very close friends in real life in Belfast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I worked up North for ages on building sites, loved every minute.. the banter was great , it went from loyalist to republican , to Northie to Southerners , hilarious football matches between a team of rangers supporters and Dublin men against Celtic supporters.

One the apprentices with us married a PSNI girl.ten years older than him.

Ive fond memories of working up there and would live up there , lots of friends still there I stay in touch with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

c_man wrote: »
    Have lived in Dublin, maybe Belfast would be a change. WHat about ye?

Belfast would be safer than Dublin Imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

ardmacha wrote: »
    This represents an outdated stereotype, on 2 counts.

Ok, a wine bar in Roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

I lived in Belfast for a few months on a construction project and I liked it overall.
    I never felt in any way uncomfortable. I think some people from the south have built in prejudices about what it's like there.
    My only problem is that everywhere closes too early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Jamsiek wrote: »
    I lived in Belfast for a few months on a construction project and I liked it overall.
    I never felt in any way uncomfortable. I think some people from the south have built in prejudices about what it's like there.
    My only problem is that everywhere closes too early.

Your only problem is you go out too late. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

Different mentality of folk up there, have the breeding of fighting tooth and nail due to years of oppression by the Police - there still a case of them against authority whether the police or folk down south

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Statistically speaking Glasgow is actually the murder capital of these islands and not by a small margin either!

Dublin - 3.02
    Belfast - 3.37
    London - 2.25
    Glasgow - 5.34

Dublin's ranking's almost entirely down to gang-on-gang drug crime and Belfast's is a mixture of legacy terrorist issues and a bit of drug gang crime.

All of those cities are still massively safer than actually 'murder capitals' and multiple times safer than most US cities.

E.g. : 58.07 homicides per 100,000 in El Salvador.
    St Louis : 49.93
    Detroit : 44.87
    Baltimore (not West Cork) 33.92

South Africa : Cape Town : 60.00

I lived in Glasgow for 3 years and never had any trouble of any kind.
    Lived in Belfast too and never had any trouble there either.

• Advertisement

Your only problem is you go out too late. :p

Maybe :D

We love a good argument, I reckon some folks don't have thick enough skin for it.

The Ulster fry is superior to the full Irish as well.

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The Ulster fry is superior to the full Irish as well.

Bacon, sausage and egg sodas too. You can shove your breakfast rolls up your bangle.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The Ulster fry is superior to any other breakfast anywhere

There you go.

Fried potato bread dipped in egg yolk with a bit of rasher - yum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I love Belfast, if I didn't live in Dublin it'd be my definite next choice. Some things do feel 20 years behind Dublin but nothing too major.

I don't buy this garbage about a "vibe" I've often gotten the bus back at 2/3 in the morning and felt every bit as safe as Dublin, I think people are convincing themselves because of some sheltered preconceptions about the evil nordies.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    Bacon, sausage and egg sodas too. You can shove your breakfast rolls up your bangle.

Yeeeowww.

A big buckin soda farl is a man's breakfast. Breakfast roll sounds like sound dainty pastry. Soggy muck.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    I love Belfast, if I didn't live in Dublin it'd be my definite next choice. Some things do feel 20 years behind Dublin but nothing too major.

I don't buy this garbage about a "vibe" I've often gotten the bus back at 2/3 in the morning and felt every bit as safe as Dublin, I think people are convincing themselves because of some sheltered preconceptions about the evil nordies.

People must think we cross the border to take your jobs and steal yer weemin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,671 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Wouldn't mind living in Derry or Down but apart from that not so sure, definitely not Belfast anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Oh my holy fuckin Jesus. This shit again.
    There. Is. No. Such. Thing.
    Same as there is no such thing as a southern accent, there is no such thing as a "northern" accent.
    What you're referring to is the north east regional accent. North down up to parts of antrim (and you would be fully justified in hating it, it's a real marmite thing).
    A whole range of different accents everywhere you go, particularly along the border counties (Which is all of them but Antrim).
    Saying"northern" accent is like me claiming everyone in the state speaks like a dub.
    I dont know where this idiocy began but the notion that as soon as you cross the border everyone speaks like theyre from Belfast seems particularly prevalent on Boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Same as there is no such thing as a southern accent, there is no such thing as a "northern" accent.
    What you're referring to is the north east regional accent. North down up to parts of antrim (and you would be fully justified in hating it, it's a real marmite thing).
    A whole range of different accents everywhere you go, particularly along the border counties (Which is all of them but Antrim).
    Saying"northern" accent is like me claiming everyone in the state speaks like a dub.
    I dont know where this idiocy began but the notion that as soon as you cross the border everyone speaks like theyre from Belfast seems particularly prevalent on Boards.

Calm down darling, I'm entitled to my opinion!
    To me they all sound the same and it's all the same horrible accent!

PS I notice you're from Armagh. Which is where I lived. You're probably one of those people I mentioned who are narky :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

There may be derivations county to county.....
    But none of it is pleasant on the ear.

Not everyone talks like Jim McDonald, so they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

PS I notice you're from Armagh. Which is where I lived. You're probably one of those people I mentioned who are narky :D

South Armagh. And if you cant tell the difference between a south Armagh and north Armagh accent it's not a matter of opinion, it's an issue for an ENT doctor.

It does tickle me to be called darling though

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/345/169/bc7.png

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

South Armagh. And if you cant tell the difference between a south Armagh and north Armagh accent it's not a matter of opinion, it's an issue for an ENT doctor.

It does tickle me to be called darling though

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/345/169/bc7.png

Yea, we don't sound like yokels in North Armagh. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

To people outside Ireland we all sound similar anyway. They will barely be able to tell the difference between a Cork, Dublin or Belfast accent.

Everyone always seems to have a fear of their closest neighbours. There's regularly people on this forum going on about Dublin being like Baghdad when in reality it's extremely safe.

Anyways I was out in Belfast twice. Had great craic in the Rotterdam one night. It's a ****er to get a taxi in though. What's the story with not being able to hail one down off the street?

Wouldn't mind living in Derry or Down but apart from that not so sure, definitely not Belfast anyway.

Why? just askin'

There may be derivations county to county.....
    But none of it is pleasant on the ear.

Your ear, you mean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

There is definitely a northern accent and it's quite distinct from the southern accent. Some people from Donegal and Monaghan speak with NI accents too.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭jjC123

Its Northern Ireland, not North Africa. I'd move no problem, Belfast's a great city :D Healthcare is a bit better there too

• Advertisement
Advertisement