Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm no wimp - I'm Simply the Best

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Dipsomaniac

They're excellent. Between the barrier layer and the insulation, they work for me, and I don't have great circulation in the hands either. Take care to measure the sizing right, bigger is better than smaller so there's no tightness exacerbating circulation issues.

My hands were fine cycling in this morning using these. Take a bit of time to fully dry out. They're a bit damp now but I didn't notice the cold or rain on my hands. Much better than any of my previous pairs of gloves in those conditions.

Also, Im no wimp (Not this morning anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Vincenzo Nibbly

My hands were fine cycling in this morning using these.

I stupidly haven't dug mine out of the winter box in the shed and had to make do with mid-season gloves this morning. Not pleasant! I'll be wading out to the shed later to get them...

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

'loved' how filthy the water was that I squeezed out of my gear this morning.. can't wait for round two.. oh and my shoes are sopping

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    .... oh and my shoes are sopping
    Always handy to keep a stack of old newspapers at work (if you have a locker) for stuffing shoes with. It helps draw out the moisture for the return commute although on a day like today, it's probably pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Mon and Wed evening were bad but a whole different level this evening, was nearly half way home thinking I might escape the worst with only spitting rain and drizzle but thought too soon as it lashed out of the heavens for a royal drenching. Surprised there isn't more localised flooding as it's been pretty horrendous the past week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Manky morning. This evening was better. Headwind and rain the whole way in :mad:
    I shoved a load of photocopier paper into my shoes, and there was significant radiator coverage in work today!

Not the wettest I've ever cycled in, but it was cold. I was soaked to the skin and it cleared up for 10 mins, and I got colder than I have been on a commute ever, I never got warm and the cold soaked into the dampness.

Another one for the Sealskinz gloves, great waterproofing. I find the padding really thin, I need a decent bit of padding in a glove cos my shoulders are fcuked.
    Are the galibier ones pad-y?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Not all heroes wear capes, but I did today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Is there anything as grim as putting back on wet clothes to cycle home in?

Hrududu wrote: »
    Is there anything as grim as putting back on wet clothes to cycle home in?

Awwwwwww that has to be the actual worst.
    I have commandeered radiators cos I no longer want to be that solider.

I must get a nice smelling candle...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭De Bhál

a solution to wet clothes is (if you have a bit of free space) to hang them off the back of chairs or whatever in front of a fan like below. Like on a clothes line with a strong breeze your clothes will be dry pretty quickly.
    I've done this myself but our office had an unused basement that I could do it in.

it's better than radiators as there's no smell.

fan.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

Certainly a fan

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

Doubt it - too much spin

De Bhál wrote: »
    a solution to wet clothes is (if you have a bit of free space) to hang them off the back of chairs or whatever in front of a fan like below. Like on a clothes line with a strong breeze your clothes will be dry pretty quickly.
    I've done this myself but our office had an unused basement that I could do it in.

it's better than radiators as there's no smell.

fan.png

There'd need to be some serious workplace space and equipment upgrades before we're at fan levels :pac:
    But that would be ideal.
    Rads will have to do for now.
    We do have a clothes rack in the loo which we usually use if things don't need to be dried out so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

I bought a shoe / boot dryer a couple of years ago. It's a great yoke and it does a really good job drying my cycling shoes (and all other shoes) even when they're soaked through. About €25 from Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Upstartech-Electric-Portable-Folding-Adjustable/dp/B07KB7ML7Y/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=shoe+boot+dryer&qid=1573469709&sr=8-6

I want a medal for fighting my way home this eve.
    20k into a block headwind and pissing rain. And lane changing gusts. :mad:

I'm afraid to look at what the weather is doing tomorrow...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

eeeee wrote: »

Some going, rain was seriously coming down. I didn't have the wind to contend with this afternoon thankfully heading west but was under time pressure to make a ParcelMotel delivery van in Coolmine, Dublin 15 as all their local lockers are full so they had an extra service van.
    Had a bit of work to do on the bike after work as snapped a chain for the first time ever this morning (only 10 months old and replace them every sping). Pedaled like a demon helped along with the wind and in plenty of time for the van to find he'd left over 30mins early so compliant in with ParcelMotel currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

eeeee wrote: »

I want a medal for going on the Luas and bus today, because I had an appointment on the way home. Crammed in like sardines, more people pushing in on top, people have to shout at others to move out so they can exit at their stop, getting wet socks and wet clothes moving to/from stops.

I'd have paid €50 to be on the bike instead.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I thought yesterday evening was great craic altogether, we have definitely had worse.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

My commute is pretty short at present (6 km) so yesterday was fine. Outdry Extreme repelled the rain. A couple of gusts and some terrible driving aside, there's definitely been worse. That first week in November for example.

I was heading east and it was a constant headwind.

It's pissing it down out there now, down for the evening.
    My shoes still aren't fully dry from last night :(

• Advertisement

Stuff them with newspaper. Only thing that works

Great, looking like another miserable spin home. Oh well last commute for this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Weepsie wrote: »

SPD sandals ftw...

Sandals are going to end in stubbed toes for me, guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Fcuks sakes. It's red rotten out there. :mad:

Yeo did that They were soaked through, even though I had overshoes :(

Miserable enough on the way home this eve but not anywhere near as bad. It wasn't a wall of wind and rain not blasting into my face!

I bussed in thinking I was meeting someone after work. I wasn't. Got wetter walking back to bus home than I would've on the bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

It definitely wasn't as bad as the previous day. It wasn't as cold and no driving wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Got wetter walking back to bus home than I would've on the bikes
    Exactly my experience last week. Give me the bike any day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Lovely day to commute , ended up getting my first puncture in 5,000km. Couldn’t get the tyre to sit back correctly on the wheel, one side was sitting higher, anyway moved on and my second tube went soft. I had checked the tyre and couldn’t find the cause.

Ended up on the DART with the bike. Wouldn’t be so bad but i ordered a new cassette and chain this morning. I’ll need to get tubes and a tyre now.

Advertisement