Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man's dying wish is to see The Force Awakens.

Options
  • 30-10-2015 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭

A terminally ill cancer patient has been a "Star Wars" fan from the time he was 8 or 9 years old and now his dying wish to see the new installment is going viral.

Some 12 years ago Daniel Fleetwood was even the subject of an article in his hometown newspaper for camping out for tickets.

His greatest hope now is also his dying wish: to see the latest installment of the movie before he passes away.

"Judging by how progressive the disease has gotten in the past two months," Daniel says, "I really don't think that I'll be able to make it.

"The Force Awakens" is scheduled for nationwide release on Dec. 18.

Back in July Daniel's oncologist gave him only two months to live from a rare form of connective tissue cancer called spindle cell sarcoma. By that count Daniel should've already passed away but believes he's hanging on to see the movie.

"I just love Star Wars," he says. "With everything I got I love Star Wars.

Daniel is in hospice care at home now, spending as much time as possible with his wife Ashley and hoping beyond all hope to see the Star Wars film before time runs out.

http://m.click2houston.com/news/local-terminal-cancer-patients-dying-star-wars-wish-goes-viral/36136054

**** man. Reminds me of the thing with the little girl who wanted to see Up before she died, and Pixar rushed a DVD copy of it over to her house. I hope the chap gets to see it, Disney are usually really good with this sort of thing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

It would be really nice if they would

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Dying wish is to start a trilogy that they will never finish?

So many other wishes...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,209 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

isnt this just the plot to Fanboys? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0489049/?ref_=nv_sr_1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

im sure he'll get a screening if they can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭Sunflower 27

Really makes you think about how precious life is. I am away this weekend for my birthday in a fab hotel. Earlier I was worrying about something that is so trivial in comparison to this man's plight.
    Really made me stop and think. I hope he gets to see the film. I don't know if I'd be so courageous facing imminent death! Thanks for posting the link :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Wouldn't it be terrible for him if he got to see the film and it turned out to be shít? What a waste of a dying wish…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

The Up story
    Colby Curtin got her final wish.
    The 10-year-old girl desperately wanted to see the new Disney-Pixar movie, “Up.” But the cancer-stricken girl was too sick to go to a theater.
    Thanks to a family friend who got in touch with the movie studio Pixar, an employee of the Emeryville-based company arrived at Colby’s home with a DVD copy of the movie, The Orange County Register reported Friday. The girl died later that night.
    Colby’s mother, Lisa, said she had asked her daughter if she could hang on until the movie arrived.
    “I’m ready (to die), but I’m going to wait for the movie,” she said her daughter replied.
    “Up” is the animated tale of a grumpy old man who, after his wife’s death, tries to fulfill their joint dream of visiting South America by tying thousands of balloons to his house and floating away.
    “When I watched it, I had really no idea about the content of the theme of the movie,” Colby’s mother told the Register. “I just know that word ’Up’ and all of the balloons and I swear to you, for me it meant that (Colby) was going to go up. Up to heaven.”
    Colby, who was diagnosed with vascular cancer in 2005, saw previews for the film in April.
    “It was from then on, she said, ’I have to see that movie. It is so cool,”’ family friend Carole Lynch said.
    But the girl’s health began to deteriorate. On June 4, Curtin asked a hospice company to bring a wheelchair so that her daughter could go to a movie theater but the chair was not delivered over the weekend, Curtin said.
    By June 9, Colby was too sick to go anywhere.

Another family friend, Terrell Orum, called both Pixar and Disney, which owns the animation studio. The message was received by Pixar officials, who agreed to send someone to Colby’s house the next day with a copy of “Up” for a private screening, Orum said.
    The employee arrived with the DVD, stuffed animals of characters and other movie memorabilia.
    Colby was unable to open her eyes to see the movie so her mother described the scenes. When her mother asked if she enjoyed it, the girl nodded, Curtin said.
    The Pixar employee left after the movie, taking the DVD, which has not been released. Lynch, who was with the family during the screening, said the employee’s “eyes were just welled up.”
    A call to Pixar seeking comment was not immediately returned Friday.
    Colby, with her parents nearby, died later that night.
    Her mother said one of the memorabilia left by the Pixar employee was an “adventure book” based on a scrapbook that, in the movie, is kept by the wife of the main character.
    “I’ll have to fill those adventures in for her,” Lisa Curtin said of her daughter.

I'm not crying I'm chopping onions.

The Up story

Ah, Jesus, as if the first 10 minutes of that film aren't sad enough…

It's kind of awkward to find onions to chop here in work.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm making a lasagne....

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I'm making a lasagne....

For one…

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

Ah that is so sad, I really hope they allow him to watch it. He just seems like a complete star wars fanatic so it would be a lovely thing to do. Well, that story puts things in perspective for me today, anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Orangebrigade

Hope he gets to see the movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

The worst possible thing would be he gets to see the movie and it's really really really disappointing.

Imagine if a guy was dying in 1999 and their wish had been to see The Phantom Menace? George Lucas rushes a preview copy to their bedside in the Hospice.

They put it on. Everyone is very excited.

2 hours and 16 minutes later.

The guy works up the strength to speak.

"Mr. Lucas?"
    George Lucas beaming with pride at his masterpiece "Yes?"
    "Come closer Mr. Lucas."
    George leans in.
    *SMACK*
    "What the f*ck was that? GET OUT OF MY ROOM YOU HACK!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭Carlo Ancelotti

Really hope he gets his wish
    Maybe soon too he will be in a galaxy far, far away

Stories like the Up one gives me some faith in the world.

A similar story is with the video game developer, Gearbox, and their Borderlands 2 game.

It was all finished when they received an email from a friend of someone called Michael John Mamaril; the friend and Michael loved the first Borderlands game and when Michael was diagnosed with an illness, it served as a source of great happiness for them.

When he passed away, the friend emailed Gearbox just to tell them how much their game meant to Michael and their friendship. This touched the studio so much that not only did they record a eulogy for him, voiced by one of their best known characters, but they also went back into their game and created a character for him, which pops up randomly in places and grants the player an achievement.

Michael now lives forever in the Borderlands.

Eulogy below:

Michael in the game & achievement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

The Up story

You made me cry at college haha..thankfully IM facing a window so nobody can notice

wakka12 wrote: »
    You made me cry at college haha..thankfully IM facing a window so nobody can notice

My boss walked in on me just after I read it. Which was fantastic…

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

It's nice for us all to get a jolt of some perspective every now and again and the subject matter of this thread certainly does it. Thanks OP, I needed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Dying wish is to start a trilogy that they will never finish?

So many other wishes...

Full of the joys of life aren't you?

The guy is dying and he loves Star Wars. He's probably been waiting for this movie for years.

If he wants to watch re-runs of Glenroe then so be it...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,764 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

He probably will get his wish seeing as how Abrams has previous with this kind of things
    When New York-based film buff Daniel Craft was told he had terminal cancer less than six weeks ago, Craft's friends and family took it upon themselves to make his last days as happy and comfortable as possible. His friend Doug posted a plea from Craft's wife, Paige, on the popular Internet message board Reddit, and the message was picked up by social media and the press until it eventually found its way to J.J. Abrams. The director granted him access to see an early edit of the film, which isn't set to be released until May.

"A day or so after the thread began, Paige, Dan’s wife, got a voicemail from J.J. Abrams and Damon Lindelof that was very nice and very straightforward: A producer for the movie would get in touch with them," friend Grady Hendrix wrote in a follow-up post on Reddit. "The next day, one of the film’s producers showed up at the door of their apartment with a DVD containing a very rough cut of Star Trek: Into Darkness in his hands. Paige had made popcorn, Dan had spent the previous day resting so he could sit through the movie, and after signing about 200 nondisclosure agreements, they watched the film and had a blast."

Hendrix told The Hollywood Reporter: "J.J. Abrams and the producer who came to give them the early cut told Paige and Dan, 'Please don't judge this -- it's very rough, but we wanted you to see what we had.' Of course, he loved the film. It was the last thing he got to do before he passed away."

After watching the film, Craft went back to bed and didn’t get out again. His wife took him to the hospital for hospice care Jan. 4, and Craft died at 10:15 p.m., with his wife and his brother by his side. He was 41.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Oddly enough, small world etc. I know someone who was at High School with this poor guy...

Advertisement