Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conor McGregor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I wouldn't wear any poppy on my shirt. No way.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You know when a junkie is trying to sound profound by using big words and ridiculously florid sentence structures?

That's what this fella sounds like most of the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-UjRhP_dbI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Whosthis wrote: »
    Does any of that remove the fact that thousands of Irish nen have died in wars as part of the British Army?

No...but it deos make it hard to justify giving money to remember them (All of whom are dead) when it's spent on those who ran amok killing/helping to kill nationalists in the north though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Conor McGregor is really clever because he figured out that controversy means more publicity, all on his own. Genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

No...but it deos make it hard to justify giving money to remember them (All of whom are dead) when it's spent on those who ran amok killing/helping to kill nationalists in the north though?

Now if you're going to get into that then we could steer way off topic . . . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Conor McGregor is really clever because he figured out that controversy means more publicity, all on his own. Genius.
    Slightly worrying how many people haven't copped this on at this stage though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

I dont have a problem wearing the Poppy but the whole backlash is blown out of proportion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Politics and sport.

When will people learn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

So every Irish man that has ever served in the British military is dead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Bulbous Salutation

This UFC fad really seems to bring out the worst in people. Lots of outrage, nationalism and 'hard man' talk. The people who own the company must be pissing themselves laughing as they check out their personal wealth as a result of lots of disenfranchised and angry young men watching and attending a very boring spectacle involving people trying to kick each other in the face.

• Advertisement

So every Irish man that has ever served in the British military is dead?

No...but those in ww1 are

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I think the popularity has gone to his head.
    All the videos of him **** talking. He just comes across as an arrogant wanker.

He is a very good fighter. He needs to shut up and let his actions speak for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

This UFC fad really seems to bring out the worst in people. Lots of outrage, nationalism and 'hard man' talk. The people who own the company must be pissing themselves laughing as they check out their personal wealth as a result of lots of disenfranchised and angry young men watching and attending a very boring spectacle involving people trying to kick each other in the face.
    People are entitled to their opinion of a particular sport, but "boring" it most certainly is not.

No...but those in ww1 are

They sure are but you're missing the whole point. The poppy is worn as a symbol of remembrance, the poppy appeal raises money for The Royal British Legion, The Royal British Legion provides assistance and care to British military veterans, can you join the dots yourself or do you need me to finish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

This controversial statement was brought to you by Pepsi, official sponser of Pepsi Poppy War November.

Check how new Pepsis "War on ISIS" flavour-PEPISIS!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

I think the popularity has gone to his head.
    All the videos of him **** talking. He just comes across as an arrogant wanker.

He is a very good fighter. He needs to shut up and let his actions speak for themselves.

Is he really that good? Who of note has he fought that would warrant that notion? Most are has beens or like the last chapter had no training time. I think in an equal fight he will be found wanting.....really do hope I am wrong though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

This is the annual poppy thread in disguise :-)

Would you should you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

:pac::pac::pac:

How's the weather in your ivory tower? You can not like a sport without resorting to ignorantly stereotyping its fan base.

I don't like gaelic football but I don't go around calling their fans inbred muck savages? It's called not being a twat.

El Guapo! wrote: »
    People are entitled to their opinion of a particular sport, but "boring" it most certainly is not.

They're not entitled to opine that it's boring? Strange.

They sure are but you're missing the whole point. The poppy is worn as a symbol of remembrance, the poppy appeal raises money for The Royal British Legion, The Royal British Legion provides assistance and care to British military veterans, can you join the dots yourself or do you need me to finish?
    Yes and the British legion provided assistance to those who ran amok in the north killing nationalists and assisting/colluding in a murder campaign

Can you see why I'd be reluctant to support this...

• Advertisement

Yes and the British legion provided assistance to those who ran amok in the north killing nationalists and assisting/colluding in a murder campaign

Can you see why I'd be reluctant to support this...

Would you support the nationalists that murdered the loyalists?

Would you support the nationalists that murdered the loyalists?

Innocents No
    Quite why you wish to follow this rabbit hole of logic over someone choosing to not wear a poppy is beyond me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

I supported Palestinians where they were in the Octagon last week. Man, they got those Israelis in such a bad ass head lock, I was, like, shouting at the screen. #tapoutshalom

Hey, guys, anyone get the new tapout gear!?

http://www.ufcstore.eu/mens-conor-mcgregor-black-ufc-189-fighter-repeat-t-shirt/detail.php?p=857292&v=ufcuk_ufc_fighters_conor-mcgregor

It looks, like, really cute on me #jealousjelly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Bulbous Salutation

I'm very much aware that UFC is popular at the moment. Like the WWF in the 90's and snooker in the 80's.

It doesn't mean that it isn't a barbaric and extremely boring spectacle though. Last Sunday morning had me going through the various media sites, only to be continuously confronted by the sight of a picture of some lad with his face covered in blood after losing a fight in the Point. Is this what now passes for entertainment? Watching men kick, gouge and knee each other in the face for money? It's a depressing narrative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Anyone who doesn't enjoy watching men beat the shìt out of each other clearly has no testicles.

I'm very much aware that UFC is popular at the moment. Like the WWF in the 90's and snooker in the 80's.

It doesn't mean that it isn't a barbaric and extremely boring spectacle though. Last Sunday morning had me going through the various media sites, only to be continuously confronted by the sight of a picture of some lad with his face covered in blood after losing a fight in the Point. Is this what now passes for entertainment? Watching men kick, gouge and knee each other in the face for money? It's a depressing narrative.

Completely soulless exercise, the glorification of thuggery. We haven't come far since the days of throwing Christians to the lions.

Innocents No
    Quite why you wish to follow this rabbit hole of logic over someone choosing to not wear a poppy is beyond me...

Nobody has convinced me that I shouldn't wear one, I'm trying to understand the opposition to it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Yeah maybe try to know the bare minimum about the sport before talking about it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Its a pretty stupid remark and he is just after making himself popular with the Ira heads as i call them.There is a blatant anti English sentiment in Ireland and given that he is a role model and people do copy his haircut and style its very sad to hear him say **** the Queen.I appreciate his story about how he went from the dole queue to present but the number of people that I have seen commentating on his post are people who if the Ira starting bombing parts of England they would be over the moon about it people tend to forget there is Irish nurses doctors teachers over in England and they should stop with this United Ireland crap

I think he is slagging off the Ra Heads when he is mentioning them getting up in arms about him wearing a flower whilst they are wearing their British Celtic jerseys.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I think he is slagging off the Ra Heads when he is mentioning them getting up in arms about him wearing a flower whilst they are wearing their British Celtic jerseys.
    It was about the hypocrisy of him using the Foggy Dew as his entrance song
    And from the plains of Royal Meath strong men came hurrying through
    While Britannia's Huns, with their long range guns sailed out o'er the foggy dew
    T'was Britannia bade our Wild Geese go that small nations might be free
    But their lonely graves are by Suvla's waves or the fringe of the Great North Sea
    Oh, had they died by Pearse's side or fought with Cathal Brugha
    Their names we will keep where the Fenians sleep, 'neath the shroud of the foggy dew
    then going and wearing the british poppy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement