Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 1982

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Great pic there Dubsmax, bring back memories here. Haven't seen snow covering windows etc like that in years and years, was just like that where I grew up too.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Vmaxer

Longfield wrote:
    Great pic there Dubsmax, bring back memories here. Haven't seen snow covering windows etc like that in years and years, was just like that where I grew up too.

Moments frozen in time allright, heres another one from 82 not a great picture but I'd say the drifts are at least 3 foot in this one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Wow 25 years ago and hardly a decent fall of snow since. I remember Jan '82 well and our park was bustling with us kids "Skeeting" down the footpaths and road using biscuit tin lids left over from Christmas, we sat on them and flew down the road (the cars were buried under snow so no danger from them) the acceleration was fab on them.

I remember the huge snow drifts covering pillars at the front gate of the house and watching the blizzard conditions at night with a howling wind and horizontal snow....brilliant! I have no photos of that time but as long as I and others remeber it then it'll live on.

Innocent days long gone but never forgotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

i remember that there were rations in the supermarkets. you were only allowed something like two pints of milk per customer. bread was also rationed to one loaf per customer. it was crazy! i can recall going to bed the night it started and my grandad calling me to look at it. the next morning was mind blowing. remember the neighbours jumping out there bedroom windows onto it. jcbs were brough in to help clear some of the main roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

and where are you lads living at the time?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

dathi1 wrote:
    I have 8mm movie footage of Crumlin south Dublin and surrounding areas. Let me digitize this weekend and I'll youtube some of it.

Love to see this - I grew up in crumlin (cashel rd) and I remember that winter!( I was about 6-7 at the time) .My little brother had managed to knacker up his foot and my entire family ended up walking to crumlin hospital ("Our Ladys")pulling him on a homemade sleigh!

Snowbie wrote:
    and where are you lads living at the time?

Cork city, on a an elevated area north-east of the city centre (a lot of Cork suburbs are up on hills)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

When was the last time we had a Polar low in Ireland?

End of Feb 2001.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Not around for this myself but i just found one of my parents photo albums from the eighties including 82 and 87 and the flooding in this house after hurricane charlie. Will scan them up tomorrow night:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

When was the last time we had a Polar low in Ireland?
    Christmas Day 2004

That wasnt a polar low Danno,that was just an unstable northerly airflow with a lot of wide spread snow showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

I posted the link to the pictures in the weather pics thread but here it is again http://www.brayweather.com/winter_82.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

Better late than never. Its a bit home Movie-ish but 8mm film was expensive and you only had 7 mins per cartridge hence the fast panning. :rolleyes: well..... I was only a chisler. Note people walking down the main road to avoid deep snow on paths.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afss7QL4wAc

dathi1 wrote:
    Better late than never. Its a bit home Movie-ish but 8mm film was expensive and you only had 7 mins per cartridge hence the fast panning. :rolleyes: well..... I was only a chisler. Note people walking down the main road to avoid deep snow on paths.

Brilliant and great work comes to mind:)
    Well that flooded back the memories.

It aint like it use to be.Weathercheck,this will interest you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

dathi1 wrote:

That was an amazing piece of footage Dathi! Enjoyed watching it, I left you a comment too ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Nice footage there, dathi1. Cheers. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

dathi1 wrote:

Good stuff !!

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Indeed enjoyed the footage, 1982 was a once in a lifetime event. I lived in the Kildare countryside where roads around us were closed with 6ft drifts, a real winter wonderland. I remember how the country was gripped by this and how unprepared we were. The then tainaste Michael O'Leary earned the title of Minister for Snow as services had ground to a halt. There was no snow ploughs in the country. Chaotic but happy days.

Great video there, just gives you an idea of the scale and amount of snow that fell, in the 25 years since there's really been nothing to compare to the snow of Jan 1982. My sister lives in Boston and they get this and more EVERY year....I wish it was like that in Ireland too.

• Advertisement

just noticed on the footage that east facing rooftops have little or wind swept snow, where as the west facing roofs have thick layers. Was it an easterly wind?

Yeah it was an Easterly alright.The only thing i could think of is the blizzard hitting the roof and snow riding over the top of the house and settling on the far side of the roof where it is less windy or else you have your directions wrong:o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

dathi1 wrote:
    nice one - very interesting.
    just wondering though , what part of crumlin was it? I was trying to work it out (although my memory's hazy - We lived on cashel rd (near leo labs) but moved away 25 years ago..)

The car driving scene is on the Crumlin Road with the Children's Hospital to the left. That scene was taken as we we're bringing in a work colleague of my Father's wife in labour to the Combe Hospital!!! from Lucan. My early teenage ambition in life was to be a war cameraman. :D I'll never forget that..shoveling snow from under tyres on the lucan road. The first and last scenes are Walkinstown Cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

I remember the 82 snow well, the first night it hit we were trying to get from Dublin to Drogheda! :eek:

Of course we didn't make it, and ended up spending the night staying with some people I didn't know in Bayside. Thank God, I remember stories of some having to stay in Garda cells as they couldn't get home!

Older people were saying that it was as bad as 1947 or 48.

Good film dathi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Ah 1982 what a fantastic time in the snow........:D :D:D
    I lived near Dun Laoghaire at the time.
    An inch of ice on the road outside the house, covered in snow.
    Watching a 46A slide down Kill Lane sideways.
    Jumping off 6 foot walls into 5 foot drifts.
    Building an massive igloo in a friends cousins house in Holly Park.
    No School of course!
    Walking to Premier Dairies to get milk
    Building the greatest snowmen, snowballs fights endless fun for days and days,,,
    Friends hanging onto car tail pipes and being dragged down the road (lunacy)
    Got me addicted to the stuff.....

PUre pure heaven , I just hope my kids get to see something in the coming years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I'll never forget it, I was in sixth class at primary and we had two weeks off school. We live down a lane and we couldn't get to the main road because of the 6 foot drifts! My uncle is a digger driver and was very busy - he mantained it would take a month for all that snow to melt! A month off school, we thought, but we only got 2 weeks off. We walked through the fields and the wavy patterns made by the drifts were fascinating. We found it hard to believ the theory that no 2 snowflakes are the same - there must have been a few duplicates in all that snow. Don't think we'll ever see the like of it again. Is it true we're supposed to have snow in February?
    Great footage on Youtube, Daithi - I left you a comment too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Blizzerthj8

Hello.. Was just reading all your posts as research to set up a Big Snow 1982 Fan Page, and thought you might be interested in posting your stories or photos there. Check it out anyway: You could win a stove for your house...[URL="ttp://www.facebook.com/tos.php?api_key=9aaadc859a1c4c4ea7ef625c9b0c82ab&next=%3Ftoolbarid%3D867b3bb9-a66f-7423-08a1-4383b844a926&v=1.0&canvas#/pages/The-Big-Snow-January-1982/229933821825?ref=ts"]http://www.facebook.com/tos.php?api_key=9aaadc859a1c4c4ea7ef625c9b0c82ab&next=%3Ftoolbarid%3D867b3bb9-a66f-7423-08a1-4383b844a926&v=1.0&canvas#/pages/The-Big-Snow-January-1982/229933821825?ref=ts[/URL]

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Your link is not working

• Advertisement
Advertisement