Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

davis vantage vue corrosion?

Options
  • 14-01-2012 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

hi all,i have had the vantage vue weather station the last year,all i have had is hassel with it,when ever there is wind and rain the rain gets in around the battery causeing corrosion,after a few months it stoped working all 2gether,then i sent it back to where i purchased it,after a few weeks they sent me out a new iss station,i have the new one over a month now,and now the new iss station is letting in rain around battery causeing corrosion,it stoped working,so i took it down and cleaned the corrosion,its working fine now,but when the rain is back the corrosion will be back,just wondering anyone else with the vantage vue have similar problems,thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Joe Public

I don't know the unit but are you sure it's not condensation? You could try putting vaseline on the areas that are inclined to corrode.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

eastmayo wrote: »
    hi all,i have had the vantage vue weather station the last year,all i have had is hassel with it,when ever there is wind and rain the rain gets in around the battery causeing corrosion,after a few months it stoped working all 2gether,then i sent it back to where i purchased it,after a few weeks they sent me out a new iss station,i have the new one over a month now,and now the new iss station is letting in rain around battery causeing corrosion,it stoped working,so i took it down and cleaned the corrosion,its working fine now,but when the rain is back the corrosion will be back,just wondering anyone else with the vantage vue have similar problems,thanks

I've had my Vantage Vue nearly 16 months now and haven't had any problems.It you haven't already do a google search to see if others are having those issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Joe Public wrote: »
    I don't know the unit but are you sure it's not condensation? You could try putting vaseline on the areas that are inclined to corrode.
    thanks for the reply,well what ever it is its causeing it to stop,i think its strange there is no rubber seal under the cover of the battery?,ya i could try the vaseline.

I've had my Vantage Vue nearly 16 months now and haven't had any problems.It you haven't already do a google search to see if others are having those issues.
    good for you having no problems,is there a rubber seal under the cover of the battery on ur iss,ya i will google it,thanks 4 the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭tphase

don't use vaseline, it will destroy a rubber seal. better to use some silicone grease (same stuff divers use)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Joe Public

The vaseline is for the contacts and there is no noticeable rubber seal. No need to spend money on silicone grease if there's some vaseline at hand.

Some people put vaseline on the seals of car doors during cold weather so the frost won't cause them to stick but they can end up with black marks on their clothes as the vaseline does indeed dissolve the rubber.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭tphase

sorry, misread the post, Vaseline® is perfectly fine for battery terminals

thanks for the replys,davis are to get back to me one of the days,so it will be intresting what they have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭jdee99

Got me thinking now eastmayo - I brought one of these in October - think i might just get it down and have a look at it. Have to say though it has worked flawlessly since I have had it.

jdee99 wrote: »
    Got me thinking now eastmayo - I brought one of these in October - think i might just get it down and have a look at it. Have to say though it has worked flawlessly since I have had it.
    no harm to have a look,is there a rubber seal under the lid of the battery on ur iss?i put silicon around the lid,hope that stops the rain getting in for now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement