Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Known individual not in civil register

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

shanew wrote: »
    there's an extracted version of that marriage on FamilySearch

groom's name: John Brophy
    bride's name: Jane Fagan
    marriage date: 28 Aug 1866
    marriage place: North Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
    groom's father's name: James Brophy
    bride's father's name: Bernard Fagan

Thanks, Shane. Her father's name knocks the birth record I had found out of contention. Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

We don't want to burden you unfairly, but if it's reasonably convenient for you, then yes, please.

Yeah, only takes a few minutes to look it up, so it's no bother.

Herself feels that she should be contributing to this enterprise, and scored a useful hit: the youngest child appears in both the 1901 and 1911 census, and her place of birth is given as Dublin City. Wrong: the birth happened in Kilbride, on the Cavan-Meath border (church record found via rootsireland; civil record to confirm). It looks as if Jane Fegan/Brophy was visiting her daughter, and both of them had babies around the same time.

Lesson (probably not needed by most people, but you never know): do not rely on what is said in census returns, and be prepared to cast your net wider.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭tyview

Hi did the area for kilbride say cavan/meath? I was just thinking there is a kilbride just north of tyrrelstown and south of ratoath and Blanchardstown was Co. Dublin back then. Just thought I'd add it incase its useful.

tyview wrote: »
    Hi did the area for kilbride say cavan/meath? I was just thinking there is a kilbride just north of tyrrelstown and south of ratoath and Blanchardstown was Co. Dublin back then. Just thought I'd add it incase its useful.

Thank you for the suggestion. The church record puts it in Cavan; the civil record was made in Oldcastle, which is the other end of the county from Ratoath.

There are Kilbrides everywhere -- for example, two in Wicklow that I happen to know about. The name comes from the Irish Cill Bhríde, St. Brigid's church or monastic cell, so it shouldn't be a surprise that there are quite a few of them.

We are happy about fixing the location on the Meath-Cavan border, close to Mountnugent. We actually know the house that the family occupied: Herself was brought there on visits as a child, but it has long since passed out of the family. She and I went to see it last year (new territory for me) and the present owner was nice enough to invite us in and show her around. That's one of the nice things about a project like this: you get to experience the good side of people.

• Advertisement

Dun,

I found the Brophy-Fagan marriage:
    name: John Brophy
    registration district: Dublin North
    event type: MARRIAGES
    registration quarter and year: 1866
    volume number: 12
    page number: 547

If that is on your desk, we would love to see it.

Here you go:

2ps13rp.jpg

Many thanks, Dún.

We had great fun finding Flood Street. It no longer exists -- gone completely, not just re-named. It was between Ellis Quay and Benburb Street.

I read the groom's address as Queen Street. Do people agree?

I note his occupation was given as stone mason. In later records, he appears as a stone cutter. I had thought the occupations were distinct from one another.

That's what I read it as when I saw it.

Advertisement