Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you do about sweaty hands/feet?

Options
  • 10-09-2010 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'd love some advice.

I get really sweaty hands during yoga class, so I end up sliding all over the mat, especially in downward dog. I forgot my towel in class this week and it was a struggle, so I'd love to hear any tips.

Here's what I do try:
    - Don't use oily moisturisers the day of class
    - Clean my map after each practice with an astringent-type cleaner (ie not oily)
    - Bring a small towel (usually I forget)
    - Really plant my fingers down in down dog or prasarita padottanasana

Anything else I could be trying?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

I used to have this problem a little bit in one particular class and they had like a little chalk bag and you used to dust it on the mat and it would temporarily stop that from happening until you needed it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

I've bought a pair of GAIAM gloves and socks. I haven't used them yet but am hoping to keep my balance at my next yoga class, I will update with the results soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭ivy tilsley

Good idea with the chalk. Look forward to hear about the socks, ta!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

I used to have this problem a little bit in one particular class and they had like a little chalk bag and you used to dust it on the mat and it would temporarily stop that from happening until you needed it again.
    This is a brilliant idea!

I thought this was a problem only I had :o I have yet to find a solution to it. It certainly distracts the mind when you're in downward facing dog!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

I think everyone thinks its just a problem they have!

Can't imagine what they have to deal with in Hot Yoga!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

So I bought the socks and gloves. I'm so glad I did, I could actually stay up on the poses instead of slipping horribly. I did, however, slip inside my gloves but that wasn't as bad. The ironic thing is that it makes you more heated and probably sweat more but they're good. They grip my mat so I'm happy.

The ones I bought were Gaiam brand, they're here

Thanks for that. I imagine I'd get really overheated with gloves on, but they might be the way to go.

That link also shows 'Thirsty Yoga Towel', which I'm really curious about now too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 stick_figure

Right now I do hot yoga, so forgetting your towel just isn't an option! I use three - one under the hands, a large one to cover the rest of the mat for seated postures and wide leg forward bends, and another one to wipe me down. You can get a specific towel by YogaToes but I believe it's pretty expensive. I did try baby powder but it was no match for the slippiness - down dog isn't much of a break if you're stressing out about slipping all over the mat!

down dog isn't much of a break if you're stressing out about slipping all over the mat!

Exactly! If I forget my towel it is the most stressful pose. I remembered it last few classes though and I was almost surprised by how nice a pose it is when I'm not freaking out about slipping and landing on my face.

I'm going to stick with a towel for now and see if my hands get stronger over the next few months.

Advertisement