Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tax on Garda bike

• 16-12-2016 6:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

Just watching a report on Garda check points on TV3 news and it looked like the camera man went out of his way to get a close up of the front of a Garda motorbike with a very out of date tax disc.
    I take it that all Garda vehicles are subject to road tax and would the driver of this bike be responsible for it

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭Johnboner

aziz wrote: »
    Just watching a report on Garda check points on TV3 news and it looked like the camera man went out of his way to get a close up of the front of a Garda motorbike with a very out of date tax disc.
    I take it that all Garda vehicles are subject to road tax and would the driver of this bike be responsible for it

They are exempt same as everything else such as mobile phone use due to their superior genes. Gardai in Ireland are known as Mr. Hitler would refer to as ''Master race" so don't you dare questions your masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Holysock

Was it stock footage from 2014-2015?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

That bike came from a good family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Exempt IIRC from the RTA, in fact it is a waste of pheking paper that any departmental car has to have a tax disc, in fact it is a waste in general of paper, toner and staff to have tax discs and insurance disc as well as NCT certs, should be all computerised and compulsory to carry your cert of insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭aziz

No, looked like a very recent report

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

If it's anything like businesses taxing their vehicles it would be up to the business not the driver.

I would have thought it a complete waste of resources and time taxing state vehicles. It's just using money to do paperwork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

ScumLord wrote: »
    If it's anything like businesses taxing their vehicles it would be up to the business not the driver.

I would have thought it a complete waste of resources and time taxing state vehicles. It's just using money to do paperwork.

It's the law, I thought the law does not differentiate the State from individuals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

Which is it we're looking for -
    1. the state to pay itself motor tax. (tough negotiation)
    2. the state employee to personally pay to tax the state vehicle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

All state vehicles are exempt.

Its just put on as due course and more so for unmarked as some parking dudes wouldn't know other wise.
    This includes the likes of Irish fisheries board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's the law, I thought the law does not differentiate the State from individuals.
    But those are state vehicles, making them pay tax is like me leasing my own vehicle to myself. The state would be paying tax to itself. That's just spending money on unnecessary administration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Johnboner wrote: »
    They are exempt same as everything else such as mobile phone use due to their superior genes. Gardai in Ireland are known as Mr. Hitler would refer to as ''Master race" so don't you dare questions your masters.

Someday you may need "the master race" son.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

Garda vehicles have a discs ambulances and fire engines also but if you look at them the amount of tax is just €0.00 where on my or your car it shows the amount of tax paid

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭Johnboner

Steve012 wrote: »
    Someday you may need "the master race" son.

I needed on 3 occasions but they never showed up :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

Garda vehicles are excempt from road tax but the still carry a disc which states they are the driver is only responsible the disc is up to date really rest would be looked after by a fleet manager of some sort

Advertisement