Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever been to Scotland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

With all the talk of Scotland, I went to look up Loch Ness on google maps and when you zoom in on Loch Ness the little symbol street view man turns into a little Nessie :D:D:D made my day that...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

With all the talk of Scotland, I went to look up Loch Ness on google maps and when you zoom in on Loch Ness the little symbol street view man turns into a little Nessie :D:D:D made my day that...

Ah it does too! That's lovely. I've never been to Loch Ness even though I lived in Stirling for a year. Scotland rocks. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I live here.
    It's phenomenal pal, ya ken?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

its almost two countries. One beautiful and vibrant, the other grey, very very grey. Edinburgh and Stirling I found lovely, Alloa and Falkirk drab and pretty miserable.

When you get to the highlands though, it is stunning.

Its just a shame 75% of the people that live there have a massive chip on their shoulder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Gaeilge, rain, junkies & mountains.

No need to leave home tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Lived in Edinburgh for a year. It's a beautiful city, aesthetically more pleasing than Dublin but I think Dublin has more life in it and nicer people. The Scotch are known for being tight with money and I have to say they live up to their name! Maybe not in Glasgow, as they're from Irish stock!
    I was pleasantly surprised with Glasgee, not as ugly as I thought it'd be.
    I've never been to the Highlands, but from what I can see, it looks like Irish scenery on steroids, bigger mountains and more dramatic, but not quite as lush as Connemara and Kerry. I'd be more a fan of green rolling hills.
    They have some lovely pubs in the countryside and they don't seem to have the McMansion problem we have here in Ireland in places like Achill, where they just plaster a gaudy mansion on the side of a beauty spot. In Scotland they're probably not as much into Parish Politics and brown envelopes though.
    I like how their Football team is crap, there's only room for one plucky underdog on these islands. They just seem to be perennial losers now. It's hilarious, especially the Euro 2016 campaign. They really hate us for some reason when it comes to football. Seems we get all the breaks. Their dour nature probably brings it upon themselves.

So I'll give Scotland a solid 7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Scotland's great craic been over for a good few Celtic games , Leinster games against the warriors and 2 6 nations match's will be adding a 3rd in February. Glasgow ,Edinburgh ,Sterling and Aberdeen all got spots and the Scots are a great bunch of lads all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

lawred2 wrote: »
    everyone remembers the first time they see the mound

You never spoke a truer word.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,114 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

dd972 wrote: »
    Haven't been for over 20 years, on the whole I've always found it a bit like a 'UK Ireland' if you get my drift, they're mostly friendly folk as well, it's a bit unfair to tar them all with the same brush as regards sectarianism which I think is mostly a Glasgow region thing which gets diluted over in Edinburgh and ebbs away further from the Central Belt of the country where most of the population is, even that aspect of Scottish life isn't that clear cut as Scots Nationalists tend to be well disposed towards Ireland, North and South.

Been to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Inverness and Fort William, wouldn't mind seeing the islands off the west coast though or the Shetlands and Orkneys.

Been in Scotland a few times.
    Once went right around it camping.
    Even visited Skye which was bloody desolate like lots of West of Ireland.
    Wild and beautiful but once the wind and rain comes.

Found some lovely places (Oban, Aberfeldy, Peebles, Ullapool, Callander) and nice people and some shyteholes with some dour bast***s.
    I remember pubs in Dingwall which were shutting at 10pm and takeaways in Wick full of Rangers shirt wearers.

Visited more than a few distillers :D

Went seaplane flying years later and really enjoyed the nightime whiskey tasting in the hotel.
    I know flying, especially on water and drinking don't go.

A lot of the scenery puts Ireland to shame.

Of the cities I liked Inverness (not sure if technically it is one) and Aberdeen.
    Found Glasgow depressing actually, kept getting lost and ending up in Govan, the place that gave the world Rab C Nesbitt, Kenny Dalglish and Alex Ferguson.
    Need i say more.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

Spent a year living there between LC and College. Loved it. A lot more junkies than I would have envisaged (prepared me for Dublin), a lot less Gaelic than I had imagined and just the right amount of self deprecating sense of humour with the people. Didn't get to see enough of it though. It's been 17 years. Must go back soon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee, Aberdeen, Oban, Wick, Invergorden, Stromness (the town that time forgot), Kirkwall, Leirwick, Troon, Cambletown, all over. Enjoyed pretty much all of it, with the exception of Peterhead, the grimist ****hole I've ever stayed in. A good bunch of people by and large and a great sense of humour. Pity they never got the independence vote, feels like quite a distinct culture and country from down sarf.

jmayo wrote: »
    Been in Scotland a few times.
    Once went right around it camping.
    Even visited Skye which was bloody desolate like lots of West of Ireland.
    Wild and beautiful but once the wind and rain comes.

Found some lovely places (Oban, Aberfeldy, Peebles, Ullapool, Callander) and nice people and some shyteholes with some dour bast***s.
    I remember pubs in Dingwall which were shutting at 10pm and takeaways in Wick full of Rangers shirt wearers.

Visited more than a few distillers :D

Went seaplane flying years later and really enjoyed the nightime whiskey tasting in the hotel.
    I know flying, especially on water and drinking don't go.

A lot of the scenery puts Ireland to shame.

Of the cities I liked Inverness (not sure if technically it is one) and Aberdeen.
    Found Glasgow depressing actually, kept getting lost and ending up in Govan, the place that gave the world Rab C Nesbitt, Kenny Dalglish and Alex Ferguson.
    Need i say more.

The Gubbermint letting us down again!
    Why haven't we got The Rockies?
    We should have the Serengeti Plains in Offaly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

yes i have been to scotland ,

glasgow is a grubby little city but great craic to go on the beer in

Edinburgh is great craic all around but quite hilly

bring a coat and lots of money

girls are friendly there

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cosmicfox

Been living in Aberdeenshire for over 2 years.

It's not bad, but fairly expensive. Not as nice as Edinburgh or Glasgow and not as much to do.

Would love to visit Shetland or Orkney but it's not cheap getting there and Shetland bloody takes ages getting too. Haven't done much sight-seeing which is a shame

Some very indecipherable accents round here but most people have been nice enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee, Aberdeen, Oban, Wick, Invergorden, Stromness (the town that time forgot), Kirkwall, Leirwick, Troon, Cambletown, all over. Enjoyed pretty much all of it, with the exception of Peterhead, the grimist ****hole I've ever stayed in. A good bunch of people by and large and a great sense of humour. Pity they never got the independence vote, feels like quite a distinct culture and country from down sarf.

Well, Stranraer is the grimmest hole I've ever been in! But otherwise Scotland is great, and a fantastic place for a family holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I've never been but I'd love to see the highlands. Billy Connolly did a great tour of Scotland on tv. The highlands were breathtaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭Oodoov

Only in my dreams OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Went there a few years back and loved it. Went the Edinburgh, Glasgow, Inverness, Loch Ness, Fort William, Isle of Skye, St Andrews. Magnificent country. Great people. And the scenery is breathtaking, much nicer than Ireland as the place isn't blighted with one off houses everywhere. Really rugged.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Was there several years ago, a fine country I have to say. Skye and the area around Glencoe are some of the most spectacular places in the world IMO. Edinburgh of course is a lovely city (was lashing when we were there though, we could barely see the castle from the bottom of the hill :P), Glasgow was a bit rough I thought but was interesting it its own way.
    Only place I wouldn't go back to is Fort William, fairly sad town tbh, which is a shame given all the landscape around it. It's like Athy plonked into the middle of the Highlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,407 ✭✭✭✭elperello

In 1997 I was staying near Duns. I got the local paper in Berwick and there was a story on the front page about a bicycle theft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I've never been but I'd love to see the highlands. Billy Connolly did a great tour of Scotland on tv. The highlands were breathtaking.

In the episode where he went to the Caledonian Canal you will see a scene where a large fishing boat goes past, a 55footer called "The Seven Sisters" which is rare in those tight canals. I was workign on that boat when it was filmed. We were taking it from Fort William to MacDuff where she was to be put up for sale. Only recently I found out she was in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Ferrari3600

Was there several years ago, a fine country I have to say. Skye and the area around Glencoe are some of the most spectacular places in the world IMO. Edinburgh of course is a lovely city (was lashing when we were there though, we could barely see the castle from the bottom of the hill :P), Glasgow was a bit rough I thought but was interesting it its own way.
    Only place I wouldn't go back to is Fort William, fairly sad town tbh, which is a shame given all the landscape around it. It's like Athy plonked into the middle of the Highlands.

Each to their own...I liked Fort William, and would go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Each to their own...I liked Fort William, and would go back.

We used to drive from Oban to Fort William just to get a McDonalds Big Mac!

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

We used to drive from Oban to Fort William just to get a McDonalds Big Mac!

Big Mac, also known as a Scottish salad. :pac:

As I said before, I live here, idefinitely at the moment, no plans to return home, but if/when I do move back, I'll tell you what I'll bring back with me... the word 'reprobate', they use that word so well, it's the most stunningly articulate insult you could imagine.

That and bringing a hip flask with some Lagavulin to any occasion!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Went to see the Pandas back in June.

<3 pandas

razorblunt wrote: »
    The Gubbermint letting us down again!
    Why haven't we got The Rockies?
    We should have the Serengeti Plains in Offaly.

Are you just trying to act the spanner or something ?

Did I ever mention the government ?

Maybe unlike you I don't blame the government for every fooking thing that Ireland has or hasn't.

Ireland has some nice places and some nice friendly people, but some of us who have actually seen and visited other places can acknowledge that there are nice places elsewhere and nice people elsewhere.

Some people in Ireland appear to believe that this island is so special and we are so special, when really we aren't.
    We have shyteholes, we have shytehouses just like most if not all other places in the world.

Scotland has similar landscape to parts of Ireland (Kerry, Donegal, Mayo, Galway), but there is a hell of a lot more of it in Scotland.
    Yet some here think we are so special.

And yes the Rockies are special and make our mountains look like ant hills in terms of size and ruggedness.
    But going out for a walk on our mountains can be damn special as well.

jmayo wrote: »
    Are you just trying to act the spanner or something ?

Did I ever mention the government ?

Maybe unlike you I don't blame the government for every fooking thing that Ireland has or hasn't.

Ireland has some nice places and some nice friendly people, but some of us who have actually seen and visited other places can acknowledge that there are nice places elsewhere and nice people elsewhere.

Some people in Ireland appear to believe that this island is so special and we are so special, when really we aren't.
    We have shyteholes, we have shytehouses just like most if not all other places in the world.

Scotland has similar landscape to parts of Ireland (Kerry, Donegal, Mayo, Galway), but there is a hell of a lot more of it in Scotland.
    Yet some here think we are so special.

And yes the Rockies are special and make our mountains look like ant hills in terms of size and ruggedness.
    But going out for a walk on our mountains can be damn special as well.

Are you in Mayo? There's a transatlantic whoosh gone right over your head there.

I highlighted the word "shame", shame would imply we have some sort of say in the fact that out landscape pales in significance to Scotland's.
    Hence, the Scottish landscape, while incredible and I agree with you is significantly more impressive than the Irish landscape it doesn't put it to "shame".

My post was tongue in cheek on the "shameful" nature our landscape.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Are you in Mayo? There's a transatlantic whoosh gone right over your head there.

I highlighted the word "shame", shame would imply we have some sort of say in the fact that out landscape pales in significance to Scotland's.
    Hence, the Scottish landscape, while incredible and I agree with you is significantly more impressive than the Irish landscape it doesn't put it to "shame".

My post was tongue in cheek on the "shameful" nature our landscape.

Jaysus use one of those icons as my sarcasm detector is not always on.

Also lets not start going down the road on the precise definition or semantical nuances of words or we will be here all day.

My point still stands on why did you have to drag in the government.
    Although come to think of it Irish Water could have dramatic influence on our landscape.

Now that that grenade is in I am off. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,015 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Came to Glasgow as part of my railway graduate training course in 1993. Planned to stay for a few years, get some experience and then move back to Dublin. Did not work out that way mainly due to the boom in Dublin and 23 years later, I and still here working and love the place

As regards the rest of Scotland, I have been everywhere the railway goes apart from the Borders area

Advertisement