Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MyHeritage - move or copy a tree?

Options
  • 15-05-2020 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭

Just looking to see if anyone knows if it's possible to move or copy a tree from one Family Tree to another? I started doing my own tree and also started my wife's tree as well. But now I wanted to split these out into 2 separate family trees. I've already done a fair bit of work on her family, but can't see how I can copy this into a new tree.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

It's probably worth phoning them. They have decent customer service.

I've done it a couple of times because I couldn't figure out how to do what I wanted.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭chewed

pinkypinky wrote: »
    It's probably worth phoning them. They have decent customer service.

I've done it a couple of times because I couldn't figure out how to do what I wanted.

Cheers Pinkypinky. I'll do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

chewed wrote: »
    Just looking to see if anyone knows if it's possible to move or copy a tree from one Family Tree to another? I started doing my own tree and also started my wife's tree as well. But now I wanted to split these out into 2 separate family trees. I've already done a fair bit of work on her family, but can't see how I can copy this into a new tree.

I believe you can only do it with Myheritage Family Tree Builder. (Not the online version of Myheritage)

Go up to "file" then "export GEDCOM"

Press "save as" and enter a file name. Start with either your name or your wife's name.

Press Next

Press Next

Click "include only selected people"

On the pop-up screen select your wife and press "select"

Press "Edit" and include the ancestors of your wife and press "ok"

Press "add" and find one of the earliest ancestors of your wife and press "select". Do this for each branch of your wives ancestors. So for example if you only have your wives grandparents, then add one of her maternal grandparents and one of her paternal grandparents. By doing this you are including all the decendents of the people you select so make sure you include all branches (or however many branches you want !)

Click "ok"

Click "next"

Click "finish"

This tree has now been exported as a GEDCOM (the original tree remains the same).

Go to "file"
    "Import GEDCOM" and find the file name you have just created and import this!!

Repeat the above steps with your own ancestors. You'll then have three trees. The original, your own, and your wife's !

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭chewed

I believe you can only do it with Myheritage Family Tree Builder. (Not the online version of Myheritage)

Go up to "file" then "export GEDCOM"

Press "save as" and enter a file name. Start with either your name or your wife's name.

Press Next

Press Next

Click "include only selected people"

On the pop-up screen select your wife and press "select"

Press "Edit" and include the ancestors of your wife and press "ok"

Press "add" and find one of the earliest ancestors of your wife and press "select". Do this for each branch of your wives ancestors. So for example if you only have your wives grandparents, then add one of her maternal grandparents and one of her paternal grandparents. By doing this you are including all the decendents of the people you select so make sure you include all branches (or however many branches you want !)

Click "ok"

Click "next"

Click "finish"

This tree has now been exported as a GEDCOM (the original tree remains the same).

Go to "file"
    "Import GEDCOM" and find the file name you have just created and import this!!

Repeat the above steps with your own ancestors. You'll then have three trees. The original, your own, and your wife's !

Hope this helps!

Thanks for this! That's really useful to know. I didn't realise there was an offline version. I was able to export my wife's tree and ancestors from the offline version and then re-import this file back into the website so I now have the 2 separate trees.

Thanks for the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭kanadams123

chewed wrote: »
    Thanks for this! That's really useful to know. I didn't realise there was an offline version. I was able to export my wife's tree and ancestors from the offline version and then re-import this file back into the website so I now have the 2 separate trees.

Thanks for the info!

Happy to Help!! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement