Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Records boss steps down over black face

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Free country and mostly a free world I see it as a non issue as is wanting to dress up as someone say you may idol ...

Skin colour is just that a colour and the human being behind that skin is exactly that so I see them as equal as I do Asian, Eskimos and German....

You can easily dress up as RUN DMC without blacking up. It's an adidas tracksuit and
    and over sized chain ffs.

Would walk down any predominantly black neighbourhood dressed as Kanye West say then? If it's a non issue surely there would be no repercussions?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

No, but this is Ireland and we didn't have such a globalised society in 1992 we were more insular and there were no black people here. I probably wouldn't do it in 2019 though.

Ooh ahh Paul McGrath doesn't exist
    Some black people might be offended by it, so probably best avoided to black up, who cares, I don't know why people are so offended by not being able to do this without a bit of a furore.

Aren't we so good protecting them

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    You can easily dress up as RUN DMC without blacking up. It's an adidas tracksuit and
    and over sized chain ffs.

You've just described Ali G :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Facism :eek:

The thought of wearing blackface has never even crossed my mind.

I'm going to assume that you never thought about it because you feel superior to black people!!!!

Racist.

• Advertisement

I wonder if you dressed in black face and put whiteface makeup on to dress up as a racist black person, who would be offended first?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Skin colour is just that a colour and the human being behind that skin is exactly that so I see them as equal as I do Asian, Eskimos and German....

You sound completely fake. Enough with the racist terms.

Some black people might be offended by it, so probably best avoided to black up, who cares, I don't know why people are so offended by not being able to do this without a bit of a furore.

That is not my problem. If it is not my intention to offend and I altered my appearance to look like someone who I admire 7 years ago, I don't think I should lose my job.

Funny that this "appropriation" isn't an issue when a lad wants to wear a dress and piss in women's toilets. It's actually encouraged.

Maybe this lad should have claimed to have identified as black for the duration of the party.

Effects wrote: »

Can't tell if joking or not....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,790 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

That is not my problem. If it is not my intention to offend and I altered my appearance to look like someone who I admire 7 years ago, I don't think I should lose my job.

Doesn't really matter what you think though does it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Fart wrote: »
    Robert Downey Jr. next?

2ziUn6o.gif

Doesn't really matter what you think though does it

Of course it does. Oh is it because I said it wasn't my problem if some found offense in something I had done without any malice?

Exactly the same. Great comparison...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Omackeral wrote: »
    I hate everyone in these situations. The dopes who do it knowing people will get offended and the dopes getting offended at it. Fcuk sake.

Think you just summed it up perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I hate everyone in these situations. The dopes who do it knowing people will get offended and the dopes getting offended at it. Fcuk sake.
    Think you just summed it up perfectly.

Thanks B.A.
    Neither does my family but my cousin dressed up as BA Baracas in 1992. Is he scum? I pity the fool who says he is.

Sorry about the cuz, he was 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I dressed up as a black ghost before when I was a child.... It was that or go as a multicoloured sheet....

I liked the black sheet as nobody could see me or well I as a child thought that....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Stupid to leave his job because of this. He should have shown a bit of backbone and stayed.
    Despite what his statement says, no way was it his decision to leave such a high profile, high paying job ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I wonder if you dressed in black face and put whiteface makeup on to dress up as a racist black person, who would be offended first?

If Sinead O Carroll from the Journal was reporting it would be described as 'a person of colour face'.

Such utter bullsh1t this pc madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

One of my mates was a cricketer, and he asked me why I played, I replied, I was the black sheep of the family, and he said he was the white sheep of his family. I am still laughing at that answer. He was a big black dude, with a London/Bajan accent, funny out. People who are looking to be offended always will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,265 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Jayus, it is lucky the pasty Irish don't need black face

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

It seems they've gotten more offended at what people do at parties since the 1970s. Here's Jimmy Page and his 13 year old 'girlfriend' Lori Maddox at a party thrown by Atlantic Records.

70ccac06d0bad1f64c0578ad384a424e.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭enricoh

+100. Bunch of w@nkers. I was delighted Trudeau was made to sweat when he did it because @ssholes like him are usually the ones flapping their gums in outrage when someone does things like that.

Stormzy demanded your man be sacked apparently. Absolute thin-skinned tw@ts.

On the plus side, this git is responsible for Sheeran’s rise. Good riddance to him before he does any more damage to the music business. Pity he couldn’t take Stormzy with him.

They were on about stormzy on 2fm the other day - he's on the cover of time magazine this month apparently, good going . On about how influencial he is, a great guy that has set up a foundation to help black students.

Imagine the outcry if some white singer said that he would only help white kids. 2fm would be in meltdown!

enricoh wrote: »
    They were on about stormzy on 2fm the other day - he's on the cover of time magazine this month apparently, good going . On about how influencial he is, a great guy that has set up a foundation to help black students.

Imagine the outcry if some white singer said that he would only help white kids. 2fm would be in meltdown!
    I can understand the black vs white racism in America because there is a 400 year history of black people being enslaved and oppressed. What I can't understand is that culture being exported all around the world and people just going along with it. There is no reason why a white person in Ireland should feel any sort of guilt over slavery just because they're white, considering Ireland never went plundering and oppressing anyone. We were too busy being oppressed ourselves!

How dare he!

I wore cornrows recently cos the '90s are back in vogue and I got my hair pulled :(
    (not really. Cornrows aren't my thang.)

We have so much freedom these days but yet we don't and have to watch everything we do or say in case someone gets offended.

I'd be more liberal than conservative, but this getting offended by everything is really annoying.
    About 14 years ago my sister wanted to give me a full head of box braids. She said we could buy the hair in the African salon and do the braids ourselves. I agreed and we went along and bought the hair. The African woman didn't bat an eye and gave us tips on how to do it. It took us two days over the weekend and not one person gave me any agro over "cultural appropriation". I took them out after a week because they were too heavy and pulling on my hair at the roots. I bet if we did the same thing today I'd get loads of abusive comments because cultural appropriation is in these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,090 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

You might want to change the thread title he dressed up as a member of Run DMC.

Just for contextual sense and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Atlantic Records has probably done more for the black community than any other label

But ignore that fact outraged ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

This is blackface. What multi millionaire rappers are these people dressed as?

black-and-white-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Effects wrote: »

I do hope you're having a laugh as otherwise oh dear lord jebus you are some absolute nut imo.

I agree. Sorry.

Like many terms, overuse and misuse has broadened the phrase to encapsulate anything from traditional blackface right up to a lad wearing too much fake tan on dancing with the stars.

I shouldn't have added fuel to that fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,265 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-50067203

amazing really how this can result in someone being essentially forced out of their job.

"Come as your favourite musical icon"
    "Cool, I love Run DMC plus they have a distinctive style, I'll go as one of them"

****7 years later****

RACIST!!!!!!!!

Trudeau really managed to weather his own storm. Sad that others cant.

The Diceman in Dublin was lucky he only did 'whiteface'
    Thom_McGinty_TheDiceman_DublinStreetPerformer.jpg

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Indeed. He dressed as a band he liked. He works in the music industry. How could anyone with any sense be offended by that?

Advertisement