Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Young Irish people speaking with American accents

• 16-10-2019 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

My cousin called over with her two teenage kids at the weekend. Both were born and bred in Dublin but speak as if they've spent all their lives in the States.

We had a college student in on work experience a couple of months ago and when I asked her what part of America she was from, it turned out she's from Wexford. You would not have known from her accent that she'd ever lived in Ireland.

My neighbour's twenty something daughter also speaks with a broad American accent and I know for certain that, apart from a couple of holidays, she's never spent any time there.

Is this the latest fashion or something?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,258 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

As long as they don't start speaking with vocal fry. That is a general tell that all hope is now lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭piplip87

My cousin called over with her two teenage kids at the weekend. Both were born and bred in Dublin but speak as if they've spent all their lives in the States.

We had a college student in on work experience a couple of months ago and when I asked her what part of America she was from, it turned out she's from Wexford. You would not have known from her accent that she'd ever lived in Ireland.

My neighbour's twenty something daughter also speaks with a broad American accent and I know for certain that, apart from a couple of holidays, she's never spent any time there.

Children raised by the TV could be an explanation. I know a few Eastern European kids who speak like that but it's the fact they spent alot of time watching American TV shows whe. They first arrived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

TV...

...and ***** trying to shift the standard bogger/Dub accent to a faux poshy one.

Headwrecking fcuks.

/rant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

They are spending so much of their time watching youtubers from the states that they take on the accents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭randd1

They spend way too much time in front of the TV since they're knee high to a grasshopper these days.

And I don't care what anyone says, girls are way worse for it than young lads, particularly if they're big into watching fashions shows or the music channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I know right?
    Women are more prone to this, there was a linguist accent expert on RTE radio on Saturday saying they are more susceptible to picking up on what's trendy for most things including accents so it's more likely they'll pick up on Americanisms or whatever the most popular accent is at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

TV as an answer doesn’t make sense. We’ve been watching American imports for how long now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

TV as an answer doesn’t make sense. We’ve been watching American imports for how long now?

Exactly. I'm like 31 years old and like, oh my gosh my accent is soooo Irish still.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

It's, like, um, just the way it is.

Amirite?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

Can't stand it myself.
    It strikes me as insecure straight away.
    T pronounced as D for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

People have said to me I have an american accent in Ireland and I really really don't. I am born and bred Northsider. While I don't have a common Dublin accent it certainly isn't american but to the. Normally some country person who doesn't know Dubliners don't all talk the same.
    A culchie Garda accused me of littering when I dropped a burger rapper when the burger burnt my hand. As I was bending down to pick it up he starts yelling at me. As I told him to stop yelling he told me that all Americans are the same. I let lose at him for that explaining how I was from Dublin and his thick culchie accent and attitude to what he thought was a tourist was a disgrace. His partner quickly brought him away apologising as I was stone cold sober coming back from work on a Saturday night while people were urinating all over the place and fighting each other.

Yelling?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Ahhh the mid Atlantic accent's :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

randd1 wrote: »
    They spend way too much time in front of the TV since they're knee high to a grasshopper these days.

And I don't care what anyone says, girls are way worse for it than young lads, particularly if they're big into watching fashions shows or the music channels.
    Mostly yes, but it also depends what standards parents set. We were not allowed to develop the "common" Dublin accent and some younger relatives are currently being trained the same way. Will have to have "like" beaten out of them, though!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Indeed. I worked with a lad in the 1970s, and he thought we all lived in southern California. He was in his thirties with wife and three kids.we younger guys - all under 23 - thought he was a cool dude. However, the lads his own age couldn't stand him. Probably because he hung out with us, and none of us realised he had responsibilities. I went a different route and encountered him 20 years later. He STILL had the accent, and was 55 by then. To my knowledge, he had never visited America.
    To be fair, he was in a minority of one with the accent ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Heor dats not on! No I know what you mean and if anything actual D’s should sound more like a T

Sadhbh are you gedding that sweader you tried on in the fidding room?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,552 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

To be fair, it started with the Yuppies in the 80s developing a new upwardly mobile accent. When you watch Reeling in the Years, you see the "dort" accent didn't exist until recently. Accents change. I don't really get it but I'm a bogger so I also don't really care. Let them at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,814 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Don't some of the kids with aspergers really pick up American accents from the TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,548 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I know right?
    Women are more prone to this, there was a linguist accent expert on RTE radio on Saturday saying they are more susceptible to picking up on what's trendy for most things including accents so it's more likely they'll pick up on Americanisms or whatever the most popular accent is at the time.
    I knew a woman from newry. At work in Dublin she had a stupid Dublin accent with loads of short speak, and in newry she had a fake northern accent. Frickin clown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

It's definitely youtube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,903 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Don't some of the kids with aspergers really pick up American accents from the TV.

They don't have to pick it up as such, they can just develop it themselves, I'm still not sure why, but I don't think it happened to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I never really noticed that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

nthclare wrote: »
    Ahhh the mid Atlantic accent's :)

Azores, Atlantis, Hy Brasil, Achill?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Can't stand it myself.
    It strikes me as insecure straight away.
    I'd prefer that to TH pronounced as T.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

piplip87 wrote: »
    Children raised by the TV could be an explanation. I know a few Eastern European kids who speak like that but it's the fact they spent alot of time watching American TV shows whe. They first arrived.

Not an explanation at all. The vast majority of us grew up watching loads of American & British TV shows yet none of us picked up the accents. It is more to do with them thinking that speaking with an American accent will make them sound more important. It is all fake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Preferable perhaps to many of our local accents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Ipso wrote: »
    Azores, Atlantis, Hy Brasil, Achill?

Quilty ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Preferable perhaps to many of our local accents.

I'd prefer the sound of a genuine unmasked Irish accent than a forced generic American one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I'd prefer the sound of a genuine unmasked Irish accent than a forced generic American one.

Totally

TV...

The fetid doctrine of so-calism within the hallowed walls of our finest viewing institutes :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Where is Wibbs?

He loves that mid Atlantic twang

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,548 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

It's definitely youtube
    That little shyt from ' Ryan's toys ' has alot to answer for!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Oh there are so many Irish accents that are worse than a us accent. So so many.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Oh there are so many Irish accents that are worse than a us accent. So so many.

Yeah I have to agree with this. There's some I can't understand myself and must be even harder for non locals. American accents in general are easier to understand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Where did the Americans get their accents from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Bobblehats wrote: »
    The fetid doctrine of so-calism within the hallowed walls of our finest viewing institutes :eek:
    Go figure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭glaswegian

Started when mom replaced ma and bridal showers and christening showers became the norm,i blame all this Real House wifes shyte.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Where is Wibbs?

He loves that mid Atlantic twang
    Do NOT get me started on the yahoos going to the stoooore with their moooooms. Grrrrrrrr. :mad::D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

IIRC a mixture of old english, french and german with a smattering of other accents all mixed up and shifting over time. The American mainstream accents of today were a bit different to say 100 years ago. You can hear that in some earlier Hollywood accents.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

No clear theory on it but they largely maintained the older rhotic sounds (water) while the Brits became non-rhotic (wateh). That and the influx of German, Dutch, Scandinavians and ourselves are all part of the melting pot.

Wibbs wrote: »
    IIRC a mixture of old english, french and german with a smattering of other accents all mixed up and shifting over time. The American mainstream accents of today were a bit different to say 100 years ago. You can hear that in some earlier Hollywood accents.
    They were a little clipped and non-rhotic, a loose RP, and an affectation of the American upper classes that emerged in the 19th century.

8-10 wrote: »
    Yeah I have to agree with this. There's some I can't understand myself and must be even harder for non locals. American accents in general are easier to understand

Then you must mean Americans accents. Because a lot of us are left scratching our heads, we can’t understand it

We just cannot understand why would a person would go out of their way to adopt an accent not native to them. You cannot be serious! We might like to have some fun with mimicking an accent, (sic) particularly after a little eh too much exposure but to continue on speaking like that is the equivalent of gettin a slap whilst you were crossing your eyes. You’re stuck with the impediment and the joke is on you.... forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,267 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Yah yah I hear it all the time.
    Someone got a postcard from Florida.

glaswegian wrote: »
    Started when mom replaced ma
    How dare you G, didn't you know, that "Mom" is a traditional Irish language pronunciation, apparently with its epicentre in some part of Kerry... But if we imagine it was/is, then how the feckin hell did it get to south county Dublin and become ubiquitous so quickly with absolutely zero examples of it pre circa 95. T'is a Kerry invasion methinks. Never mind that if it was just "mom", but it isn't, it's a general and bloody awful faux 'Merican accent that goes along with it. I've even heard the vocal fry thing with some young wans. I like many of the American accents, but not when it's a diluted and affected copy of same. It's not unlike the Dort accent that tried and failed to sound like received british english. Now it's gone towards the Azores too.

We can have a bit of a self consciousness about our accents(and other things) and have for quite a while. At one point(IIRC 50/60's) Ireland had the highest number of elocution teachers per capita in the english speaking world, usually aimed at young ladies. You don't need elocution if your background already speaks like that.

One hypothesis was this was because of a large scale move from rural to urban living in the 50's and 60's and many of those people, especially if they did well wanted their kids to have "better" accents without the taint of the "country". That is common enough with similar movements in other cultures. I knew a fair few people like this growing up. Again mostly girls from D4 and other leafy suburbias, whose parents had quite distinctive and lovely accents from around the country. Along with TV, but especially the online world I'd bet some of the new mid atlantic stuff sprang from the "Celtic Tiger" years.

is_that_so wrote: »
    No clear theory on it but they largely maintained the older rhotic sounds (water) while the Brits became non-rhotic (wateh).
    Some US accents seem to have also drifted into the non rhotic. I remember watching that American Choppers programme and I noticed that they did the wateU thing and also did that oft English accent thing of adding R's where they don't exist in the spelling like "drawring" instead of "drawing" and adding an R sound to the ends of words that ended with soft A. Interesting how pockets of that can spring up.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭bunderoon

To answer the OP:

Females are ore interested in people and males are more interested in things.

So with TV (starting with Friends) and youtube , viral social media posts, the CarCrashians etc - they want to mimic what they think is popular and not be normal (not standing out).

Most lads don't give a **** which is why it's not as common among them. Any that do, it's down to hoping to score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,153 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It's been going on for around 20 years.

Also, I've called my mother mom/mum interchangeably since I started talking. I'm from Cork.

Nothing new. Get over it.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Some US accents seem to have also drifted into the non rhotic. I remember watching that American Choppers programme and I noticed that they did the wateU thing and also did that oft English accent thing of adding R's where they don't exist in the spelling like "drawring" instead of "drawing" and adding an R sound to the ends of words that ended with soft A. Interesting how pockets of that can spring up.

Well, Boston and some of the other Eastern seaboard did go that route and it's fair to assume that it spread to all levels of "refined" society. I'd say you'll probably find leftovers where there was a strong influence of that. I'd always think of the South as a very likely place to come across it with their overdone sense of gentility.

• Advertisement
Advertisement