Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you agree to 80% income tax if everything was free?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Obviously not everything being free, but the big ticket items like healthcare, education, transport, childcare, property tax, motor tax, tv licenses, bin charges etc.

Also you would only have to work 4 days a week.

Does it include rent/mortgage repayments, or is that what the 20% I'm left with is meant to cover?
    When you say "transport".. does that mean the cost of replacing my car and putting fuel in it? Or does it just cover a smelly, overcrowded bus shuttling me from home to work?
    By healthcare, do you mean 2 years waiting list for a "non-urgent" consultation and then waiting another 12 months for a "non-urgent" follow-up MRI?

Keep your free stuff, just don't expect me to pay for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Look how broken our current system is. Non functioning health service...

To fund the HSE, a dysfunctional state monopoly, taxpayers pour billions annually into a black hole. Numerous other state-run services are run in a similarly costly, bureaucratic, and ineffective manner, with thousands of overpaid and unaccountable employees delivering relatively little in return for all the cost.

Your solution to this broken system is to turn everything into a state monopoly and assume, all evidence to the contrary, that this will make things better.

I'm not sure if you're trolling or just incredibly naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Newuseruntaken

There was an experiment in 1977 which did away with property tax, water charges, bin charges and road/motor tax. Fianna Fail got the biggest majority in the history of the state when they proposed it.

The only thing they forgot to tell the people was that income tax would be 60% within a couple of years. Anyone old enough will remember the tax marches which dwarfed anything seen recently against water charges. The country has been trying to recover from this disaster to local funding since.

Well obviously if you tell people they are getting loads of benefits but forget to tell them about the increase in tax they are going to be furious

• Registered Users Posts: 20,614 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Well obviously if you tell people they are getting loads of benefits but forget to tell them about the increase in tax they are going to be furious

It shows that even a slimmed down version of your overhaul of public finances, is a failure.

It shows that even a slimmed down version of your overhaul of public finances, is a failure.

No it shows if you are dishonest you will fail, that’s all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

You can take the free public transport or else pay for car rental, your choice.

Considering how dire the paid system is, I wouldn't be holding out much hope for quality in a free one.

Imagine the bus drivers, driving people around all day, then handing over 80% of their salary, left with 20% which they can spend on a car...or take a bus :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭begsbyOnaTrain

More than 20% of our monthly takehome goes into savings/investments. So no, sounds like a really bad deal tbh.

One thing is for certain, there will be unintended consequences. Economies are complex, tinker with them at your peril.

As a rule of thumb the question I ask myself is this, will people be more or less productive if this is implemented?

With less incentive to work overall people would be less productive. Some of the largest productivity gains come from people trying to become rich. If it is much more difficult to become rich society would become poorer. Less products and services produced, less quality of products and services and less innovation.

An unintended consequence would probably be that 80% tax would not be sufficient, and it could go as high as 90%. Unless someone has worked it out, it seems like a figure plucked from the air.

One thing is for certain, there will be unintended consequences. Economies are complex, tinker with them at your peril.

As a rule of thumb the question I ask myself is this, will people be more or less productive if this is implemented?

With less incentive to work overall people would be less productive. Some of the largest productivity gains come from people trying to become rich. If it is much more difficult to become rich society would become poorer. Less products and services produced, less quality of products and services and less innovation.

The most important resource of an economy is not oil, gold, steel etc, it's the motivation of it's citizens to be productive and innovate.

But the last 10 years has seen a significant increase in taxes and it hasn’t negatively affected productivity and employment

But the last 10 years has seen a significant increase in taxes and it hasn’t negatively affected productivity and employment

What do you mean by significant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Has there been a significant increase in taxes? I don't think so.

OK, there has been an increase in income taxes, yes.

Whether it's "significant" is up for debate.

See here:

https://www.oecd.org/tax/tax-policy/taxing-wages-ireland.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

No, of course not. After paying for all those things myself I have more than 20% of my wages remaining so why would I even consider such an idea???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Why would I contribute to more free houses and free money for people while I worked 100hrs a week as a consultant/doctor for 20k.... If I was...

No, of course not. After paying for all those things myself I have more than 20% of my wages remaining so why would I even consider such an idea???

Because you would only have to work 4 days a week instead of 5.
    Because there mould be bullet trains between cities.
    Because we would have a much better health system which you might be grateful for in the future.
    Because if you ever lost your job you would have good social protections in place.
    Because you would have a better house as the cost of housing would go down significantly if there was large scale social housing .

Why would I contribute to more free houses and free money for people while I worked 100hrs a week as a consultant/doctor for 20k.... If I was...

Because your spending power would be the same as always. 20k seems small but when the average person may be taking home 6k that 20k suddenly looks good.

Because your spending power would be the same as always. 20k seems small but when the average person may be taking home 6k that 20k suddenly looks good.

If you refine the system so that everyone earns the same, say 10K, it would be easier to do the taxes and spending. The big bosses of private companies pay themselves multi millions. They could just as easily live on 10K if everything was free.

I know if I had to go to the emergency department for whatever reason I would be put on a trolley in the waiting room for about 36 hours.

No. No. You'd be waiting 36 hours before being seen. Get the "message" right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Because we would have a much better health system which you might be grateful for in the future.
    Because if you ever lost your job you would have good social protections in place.
    Because you would have a better house as the cost of housing would go down significantly if there was large scale social housing .

So working less hours so presumably less money, that’s a fifth of your tax take gone already.
    Billions on bullet trains plus millions to run the service.
    Healthcare that would cost way more than the one we can’t currently run
    The housing thing has so many problems I don’t know where to begin.

There was an experiment in 1977 which did away with property tax, water charges, bin charges and road/motor tax. Fianna Fail got the biggest majority in the history of the state when they proposed it.

The only thing they forgot to tell the people was that income tax would be 60% within a couple of years. Anyone old enough will remember the tax marches which dwarfed anything seen recently against water charges. The country has been trying to recover from this disaster to local funding since.

Well considering FF had a significant hand in practically bankrupting the country within the last generation and are now vying for power again per the polls I think it's fair to say vanishingly few remembers that political "experiment".

salmocab wrote: »
    So working less hours so presumably less money, that’s a fifth of your tax take gone already.

At least this is in AH. And even then practically nobody supporting the OP. Doesn't bode well as a vote getter.

• Advertisement

salmocab wrote: »

No because employment would have to increase as more workers are needed if people would only work 4 days a week, therefore tax take remains the same

At least this is in AH. And even then practically nobody supporting the OP. Doesn't bode well as a vote getter.

Ah in fairness if it was up to AH we would all still be living in caves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Someone from the Labour party over in the uk is suggesting this sort of thing: 4-day week.
    The trouble is they say it'll take at least 3terms (12yrs) to fully impliment.

Annual cost of something like 100bn, they also want the highest minwage in Europe.
    Naturally the rich will have to give up their public school, polo and horseys, for all the new foodbanks and extra nandos/whetherspoons.

Over in the US the 4th fav for POTUS20 wants to hand out 1,000 bucks to everyone, every single month, for nothing.

Let the good times roll!

Ah in fairness if it was up to AH we would all still be living in caves

Fairness is not something I would associate with your ideas. Or common sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

How about I pay 5% tax and pay for everything I need out of the rest. Education/Healthcare/Housing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

20% of myself and my husband's monthly income wouldn't pay our mortgage. If I was to be gifted a house in a nice area then it still won't work, as it won't pay for my childcare. If was to be gifted a house and a place at a convenient childcare facility, the remainder would barely cover our food, bills (and I'm not counting utilities) and kids after school/weekend activities. I'd never be able to get my hair cut, buy new clothes, go on holiday or buy the kids any Christmas/birthday presents.

Myself and my husband earn in the top 6% of household income. And even the additional tax we would pay would barely cover the cost of the things we pay for already, let alone go any way towards subsidizing the cost of providing free accommodation, transport, healthcare and childcare for the remaining 94% of the income earners. I'm not even going to broach the fact that 25% of households do not earn any income apart from social welfare.

It simply wouldn't work without a large proportion of income earners taking a significant dip in living standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Would there be dole? Would it be 20% of the current dole rate? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

The Government already waste enough of my tax. Why the f*ck would I want to give them any more?

Even if we chucked another 100bn at the HSE they'd still find a way to be completely useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

No because employment would have to increase as more workers are needed if people would only work 4 days a week, therefore tax take remains the same

Employment increase? We are practically full employment. Your plan would require 20% more staff for all services which we aren’t even close to having let alone having with all the right qualifications.
    I applaud your ability to keep this up though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

It is funny how people compare other countries with Ireland and say we should do the same. All the rent controls in Germany should apply in Ireland but forget the other details. Rent a place in Germany and you have to provide your own kitchen and repaint before you leave. The countries housing stock was destroyed in WWII. The land then was taken by the state and international money was provided to build the housing under strict rules. So for us to have the same as Germany first you need to kill a huge portion of the population take ownership of the land then get other countries to pay for the new buildings.
    Scandinavian countries have a huge income from their natural resources proping up their economy so the residents while having high tax don't pay for it.
    We have a small population for the land and people expect the services to be everywhere. The point to a hospital closing and go on about how it was there before so why not still have it? The hospitals were run and supported by religious orders. That means the staff were all underpaid. Don't forget the literally used slave labour to wash the bed sheets for these hospitals.
    If you live in rural France they don't expect there to be a local hospital but here people do.

Advertisement