Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leave Three Contract Early / Get New Phone

Options
  • 15-10-2019 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Not exactly a bargain alert - YET - but wanted to start a discussion on this.
    I'm sure everyone on Three got their contract amendment texts last week.

What isn't clear from the contract amendment text is that if you are not achieving the speeds and service for their mobile internet you are entitled to exit the contract without penalty.

I have spoken to Three about this who are being pretty vague about it. My understanding is that Comreg have yet to announce the change.
    When this change is announced - if you endure five or more days in a row of sub standard service (not hitting certain speeds, cutting service altogether) you will be entitled to exit the contract with no penalty and no expectation to pay out the remainder of the contract.

I'd doubt this is exclusive to Three, but I know their mobile internet is the worst. City centre drop off, blackspots all over the country. So most people would be entitled to leave once this comes in

Does anyone have info on when this is coming into effect? The call centre staff at Three aren't exactly the most helpful.

Thought people would be interested in this with the new gomo available now as well

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,618 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Last time Three changed their T&C's people ended up getting the latest IPhones for nothing as they could cancel their contracts immediately. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

Pretty much the same this time except I think it's that they are being forced into a situation by a legislature change.
    If customers aren't achieving the advertised minimums they will be entitled to leave. I want out anyway, coverage is dire and it's expensive for what it is

10er a month on gomo

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Wexy86

Hi All,

Does anyone have info on when this is coming into effect?

The text I received stated 1st Dec, I’ve started taking screen recordings of my shocking mobile data, well below the 10mbps minimum, I’m on day 3. Once I have the 5 days data I’ll contact them and see where I end up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Guffy

Is there a site that one should use for the speed tests? Is there certain areas in the city you have to be in?

Im in Galway and in the city centre is bad enough but once you hit knocknacarra you might as well not have a smart phone. Virgin (3 network) contract but got something over the weekend notifying me of upcoming changes.

Although this has nothing to do with data speeds, can it still be used?

CONTRACT CHANGE: Virgin Mobile plans will soon include calls to 1850, 1890, 0818 and 076 numbers and the out of bundle rates for 1850 will change. For more info visit virginmedia.ie/nongeo. This change takes effect on November 28th 2019.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

From reading https://www.three.ie/legal/terms/mobile-network-speeds/ it's not at all a simple process of being able to terminate your contract if you don't get the contracted speeds for five days in a row. And these speeds just have to be achievable once in a 24 hour period, which could be any time of the day or night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

Quackster wrote: »
    From reading https://www.three.ie/legal/terms/mobile-network-speeds/ it's not at all a simple process of being able to terminate your contract if you don't get the contracted speeds for five days in a row. And these speeds just have to be achievable once in a 24 hour period, which could be any time of the day or night.

I've been told by a Three advisor there is an app due to be released by comreg for speed monitoring, however I believe the disruption to service or loss of internet should be sufficient to breach their terms. I experience regular outages and am aware of blackspots also - I'll just leave my phone in one of these areas for a few days !

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Any update on this? My partner has Three down in Kerry and getting 3G is even a challenge most days. So this would be perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Pretty much the same this time except I think it's that they are being forced into a situation by a legislature change. If customers aren't achieving the advertised minimums they will be entitled to leave. I want out anyway, coverage is dire and it's expensive for what it is

Read the document. It's maximum not minimum speeds the have to achieved. Big difference.

Advertisement