Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dilemma with having to Sign for Things

Options
  • 04-10-2019 8:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭

Do you hate having to read something under pressure. For me, recently in the case of a couch being delivered and assembled, I had to sign for it when they were finished as my father had left. I tried to read it and this guy quickly interrupted to say something like "all you're signing for is to say that we delivered it". It wasn't quick that simple When this happens, I think people are likely to feel as if they will look paranoid, and often just sign anyway.

My father later discovered a mark on the floor that these guy made when they assembled the couch. He said "they must have been pretty careless putting it together". And if I felt bad for letting myself be pressured into signing too quickly, then that mark on the floor definitely rubbed it in!

Later when I read what I signed for, and one line said "I confirm there is no damage to my property or my purchase following this delivery". The box next to this part was already ticked for me anyway, which he shouldn't have really done. I just had to sign at the end.

I think what it is, is that when someone sees a page that they have to sign, it's hard for the brain to realise which part on the page (amongst all the unnecessary text), that is the part they've to sign. If I could have done this, I would have realised that the important part which I had to read, was in fact quite short... only four boxes I had to tick.

Now can you imagine, if while reading it, I had seen the line about damage to the property and said "hang on, I'll just take a look around the room", and if I preceded to examine the floor? Might have been a bit awkward, right? Especially considering that I wouldn't have really been expecting to find it. If I did, I can already imagine my sister coming in and saying "don't mind him, here I'll sign it"!! But would it have taken long though to spot the mark? Not at all!

Does anyone else find, that after having already had a bit of a chat with the delivery guy, that it might be a bit awkward for you to read through such statements and take each one literally? Is anyone else guilty of just signing, and saying to yourself 'well how bad could it be anyway'? I guess it's important to realise that he is only the delivery guy, and that he is not your friend.

Would you believe the same fella tried to get me to rate their service! I said that I'd rather not. This is why I didn't. It's always best to rate things on hindsight.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭Allinall

Life’s too short.

Signed_______ Allinall

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Do you hate having to read something under pressure. For me, recently in the case of a couch being delivered and assembled, I had to sign for it when they were finished as my father had left. I tried to read it and this guy quickly interrupted to say something like "all you're signing for is to say that we delivered it". It wasn't quick that simple When this happens, I think people are likely to feel as if they will look paranoid, and often just sign anyway.

My father later discovered a mark on the floor that these guy made when they assembled the couch. He said "they must have been pretty careless putting it together". And if I felt bad for letting myself be pressured into signing too quickly, then that mark on the floor definitely rubbed it in!

Later when I read what I signed for, and one line said "I confirm there is no damage to my property or my purchase following this delivery". The box next to this part was already ticked for me anyway, which he shouldn't have really done. I just had to sign at the end.

I think what it is, is that when someone sees a page that they have to sign, it's hard for the brain to realise which part on the page (amongst all the unnecessary text), that is the part they've to sign. If I could have done this, I would have realised that the important part which I had to read, was in fact quite short... only four boxes I had to tick.

Now can you imagine, if while reading it, I had seen the line about damage to the property and said "hang on, I'll just take a look around the room", and if I preceded to examine the floor? Might have been a bit awkward, right? Especially considering that I wouldn't have really been expecting to find it. If I did, I can already imagine my sister coming in and saying "don't mind him, here I'll sign it"!! But would it have taken long though to spot the mark? Not at all!

Does anyone else find, that after having already had a bit of a chat with the delivery guy, that it might be a bit awkward for you to read through such statements and take each one literally? Is anyone else guilty of just signing, and saying to yourself 'well how bad could it be anyway'? I guess it's important to realise that he is only the delivery guy, and that he is not your friend.

Would you believe the same fella tried to get me to rate their service! I said that I'd rather not. This is why I didn't. It's always best to rate things on hindsight.
    Mother of god but that was time I'm never getting back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I usually just scrawl a signature that I could easy claim is not mine, if need be, later.

I usually skim through anything like that much faster than I managed to get through the very detailed OP.

I don't sign anything I haven't read, as a rule. Particularly if someone has ticked a box on my behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

Mark a big line through all the t&e initial this adding in not applicable and sign at the bottom.

Or if it's someone being an a-hole, sit down and read aloud ticking paragraphs and restarting each time you are interruptered after the 3rd restart they may cop on and leave you to read it u interrupted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I made an lawful mistake with signing for my new phone . Short story is got an upgrade, didn't work so 3 sent it off for a week , it came back , a tiny chip of paint off it , which didn't particularly bother me.
    Phone still didn't work so brought it to 3 to fix but they said as it was chipped the warranty was invalid and I'd have to pay.
    Now I check everything before signing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭WrinklyNeck

cjmc wrote: »
    Short story is got an upgrade, didn't work so 3 sent it off for a week , it came back , a tiny chip of paint off it , which didn't particularly bother me.
    Phone still didn't work so brought it to 3 to fix but they said as it was chipped the warranty was invalid and I'd have to pay.
    Now I check everything before signing
    Was it you who knocked the paint off? What difference would it make for warranty? It would be one thing if you were returning it and there was a chip of paint off it.

If you'd read that before signing for it, you might still have bought it though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭Biodegradable

I had a situation like this when I recently I visited the social welfare office to tell them that I'd just gotten a new job. I'd got the job one week prior to this visit to the welfare office and hadn't told them yet as I didn't have the time to go in.

On the day I visited, it would've been the day after my money arrived at the post office, but I didn't collect it as I knew I most likely wasn't entitled to it. The lady there said "your signing date is yesterday". I said "no it wasn't, I got a letter to say that my signing date isn't until two weeks from now". I told her that I had a new job and that I was there to sign off. I also told her the day that the job started. She pressured me to sign something with a digital pen. I said "no, this doesn't apply to me as I now have a job". She made some excuse and again pressured me to sign it. So I took my time to carefully read was I was about to sign. It read something like "I hereby declare that I am still unemployed and have since been seeking employment and am in good health". As I read the word 'unemployed' I said to her "no, I'm not unemployed so it makes no sense for me to sign this". She then walked away without explaining where she was going and grabbed a sheet of paper to get me to write a short letter and sign myself. So I did that instead. Otherwise I could have (if she wanted to) been made out to be a fraud.

I later realised that what she meant by 'signing' was the day that I was meant to collect my money. Quite misleading of her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Never sign anything you haven't read.....problem solved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭Biodegradable

Never sign anything you haven't read.....problem solved.
    I thought it was that simple. But then I ended up signing for things that I never thought I would due to peer pressure. Been in situations where I say I'd like to read over this, and then I hear someone giggle and say "it's only to say blah blah" and I just sign it because of the awkwardness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I thought this was going to be about the tribulations of being deaf. :pac:

Advertisement