Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What’s up with that

Options
  • 04-10-2019 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

What’s the story with the drunk lads/ladies in jobs that turn up late everyday but act like they own the place.

Every job has them. They need to be in complete control though even though usually they are at the bottom of the ladder senioritywise.

The people that make it their business to hold all the keys and try their best to look like the boss in front of other people.

They ring the boss every evening to give a progress report that the boss doesn’t want. Make big calls they weren’t asked to make.

I worked with one of them before and we first fixed 6 hotel bathrooms before I found out he hadn’t actually been given any drawings/blue prints and was just making up where the toilet and sink etc would be.
    He just wanted to be in charge so pretended he knew.
    When I questioned him on it he told me somebody had to grab the bull by the horns and get the job moving along. We had to redo all the work again obviously. He was happy he got to speak to some more senior people for a few days.

What’s up with them lads?

They also always lie about even the most mundane of things like what they had for lunch.

Comments

deal_with_it_seinfeld.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Had one of those “types” in an old workplace, he’d usually miss either a Monday or a Friday. Almost every week. When he’d come in after a “sick” day he’d be 25 minutes late, reeking if booze and bloodshot eyes.

He was in charge of producing certain “reports”. He would never show anyone how to do anything that he left would threaten his position. He took 3 weeks holiday and a junior staff member had to take over his role. The jig was up fairly quickly when the kid was doing things in half an hour that the other guy would say took a week.

He did that for a good 5 years before he was finally “spoken” to. He was cleaning up his act around then anyway, got married and had a kid so wasn’t drinking as much. No one said much about the work, the kid “inherited” his role and he just turned up and pushed paper around.

He’s still there.

The tide is turning…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

But is it an undiagnosed mental thing or just alcoholism?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

BDI wrote: »
    But is it an undiagnosed mental thing or just alcoholism?

This guy was just lazy and then got away with taking the “piss”.

He’d corner a few jobs that were easy, but necessary, and wouldn’t share any information with anyone around him.

It hasn’t done him too many favours as he’s still in the same “position” while everyone else either leaves for better jobs or gets promoted over him.

The tide is turning…

A fella I know claimed to work on a job in a foreign country. Fairly prestigious job I suppose that a crew of Irish people travelled to do with an Irish builder and a few Irish trades all doing the work.

When this happens all the lads usually end up tight knit or atleast know each other.

Anyway this job was at the end of every conversation. Every conversation steered to when he was on this job..................until somebody who was on that job joined the company. They didn’t know each other. One of them was lying anyway.

The controlling drunk fella never mentioned the job again but still told stories about the country he wasn’t supposedly in. If questioned about the country he gave mainly Wikipedia type answers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Young fella who failed his college exams in the final year got a graduate job better than any of his contemporaries, just because he lied about getting the degree. All going fine until a year later when he took time off to do repeat exams and got rumbled. Kinda have to give him a type of credit, it was an entrepreneurial mindset.

Every job has them. I worked in a factory years ago and there was a big scissors used for cutting material we used about twice a day.

This fella took ownership of the scissors and one day as a young whippersnapper the older lads for a joke told me to go take the scissors that they needed it.

He grabbed me by the throat when he seen me reaching for it. Then let me go and never spoke to me again. Honest to god true story.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I worked in a factory years ago and there was a big scissors used for cutting material we used about twice a day.

He grabbed me by the throat when he seen me reaching for it. Then let me go and never spoke to me again. Honest to god true story.
    Probably thought you were going to cut paper with a fabric scissors :eek:

Hangings too good fo' the likes of you.

He just wanted to be in charge of his own scissors. It was bananas.

Supposedly this fella was seen a few times turning up at Sunday local football matches and getting in fights with players or refs by abusing them from the sideline until they reacted. It’s funny that stuff that went on in parts of Dublin at the time that if they happened now would make national news with twitter and Dublin live etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,491 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

What’s the story with the drunk lads/ladies in jobs that turn up late everyday but act like they own the place.

Every job has them. They need to be in complete control though even though usually they are at the bottom of the ladder senioritywise.

The people that make it their business to hold all the keys and try their best to look like the boss in front of other people.

They ring the boss every evening to give a progress report that the boss doesn’t want. Make big calls they weren’t asked to make.

I worked with one of them before and we first fixed 6 hotel bathrooms before I found out he hadn’t actually been given any drawings/blue prints and was just making up where the toilet and sink etc would be.
    He just wanted to be in charge so pretended he knew.
    When I questioned him on it he told me somebody had to grab the bull by the horns and get the job moving along. We had to redo all the work again obviously. He was happy he got to speak to some more senior people for a few days.

What’s up with them lads?

They also always lie about even the most mundane of things like what they had for lunch.

That's only one lad.

That's only one lad.

Every job has them. If you think your job hasn’t got one,
    ............:..
    ————-
    Ah
    ......::: ye know the rest.

Every job has them. If you think your job hasn’t got one,
    ............:..
    ————-
    Ah
    ......::: ye know the rest.

I would know if my job had one. How would you know?

I would know if my job had one. How would you know?

Because my job has one,

Because my job has one,

I must be the one in my job.

I must be the one in my job.

So was drinking a cause of it or a symptom of it?

So was drinking a cause of it or a symptom of it?

Would you like to know what I had for lunch?

Would you like to know what I had for lunch?

I’m afraid you might lie.

Advertisement