Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No 3V vouchers any more?

Options
  • 26-07-2019 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭

I purchased €60 worth of vouchers in the square, they are not 3V vouchers as I thought, but 3 prepaid vouchers. In case nobody knows what 3V vouchers were, they were a handy prepaid visa that you could use on Amazon,Ebay ect. When you bought these 3V vouchers you got the long 16 digit code, expiry date and CVV code on the same day. I bought the €60 voucher thinking that I'd be able to log into my paypal account and then use them on ebay. The problem is I'm not a 3 mobile or a 3 customer at all.

I can't even sign up to the 3 community to ask how I get a refund. I did ring 3 customer support but I didn't get any satisfaction from them, and they said to ring Payzone which I did. Payzone couldn't give me a refund, and wondered why 3 said definitely ring Payzone. Overall I'm very annoyed with their performance. I wouldn't advise anybody to buy these vouchers if they want to buy something on ebay and the like. You are probably better off buying Swirl vouchers as they are a prepaid mastercard. Does anybody know how I can get a refund on these vouchers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Thought eBay was almost exclusively PayPal?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭hynesie08

So, do you need a 3 money card to use them, if so just head into a 3 shop and get one, or the 3 website......

3v is a blast from the past though, you using it to pay for your clearwire broadband?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

https://www.three.ie/3money/ don't think you need to be a three customer. Three don't really have anything to do with it because its all run by a card company for them.

I purchased €60 worth of vouchers in the square, they are not 3V vouchers as I thought, but 3 prepaid vouchers. In case nobody knows what 3V vouchers were, they were a handy prepaid visa that you could use on Amazon,Ebay ect. When you bought these 3V vouchers you got the long 16 digit code, expiry date and CVV code on the same day. I bought the €60 voucher thinking that I'd be able to log into my paypal account and then use them on ebay. The problem is I'm not a 3 mobile or a 3 customer at all.
    I had to switch bank accounts last year, and as an emergency measure, I bought a 3 Money prepaid-mastercard, just so I'd be guaranteed to keep at least one working debit card, if I needed it.

You can still get the card up and running on the same day, you'll just need a 3 Service phone number and a national ID document.

3V has been gone for years, I think, and I wonder who even was even using those cards outside of emergencies? All the domestic banks offer mastercard (or similar) debit facilities now, very inexpensively.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

3Money and 3V never had anything to with each other. 3V is gone maybe 5 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

L1011 wrote: »
    3Money and 3V never had anything to with each other. 3V is gone maybe 5 years.

I agree but when three took over O2 didn't they pretend to transfer and hold onto the 3V business with there replacement 3 money card?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

3v are/were a payment technology company that was bought out by another payment technology a few years ago.

Nothing to do with three the mobile company.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

my3cents wrote: »
    I agree but when three took over O2 didn't they pretend to transfer and hold onto the 3V business with there replacement 3 money card?

No. The O2 Money card already existed and it is a completely different product to how 3V worked.

3V renamed before the end anyway as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

sugarman wrote: »
    Besides kids and young adults, who still uses these on 2019???
    The Op could be a kid. I used them when i was a kid.

The Op could be a kid. I used them when i was a kid.

A kid wouldn't remember them, though. They are gone a LONG time.

• Advertisement

A kid wouldn't remember them, though. They are gone a LONG time.
    I see yeah I think the last time i used one was at least ten years ago.

Then I got my debit card. Two years later.Useful things they put a limit on your spending.

Op do you mean a swirl card?

http://www.swirlcard.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

kneemos wrote: »
    Thought eBay was almost exclusively PayPal?

Ebay is Paypal only, but you can still use a prepaid voucher top top up your PayPal account. It doesn't matter if it's a visa or mastercard, you can still buy stuff through ebay that way.

I had to switch bank accounts last year, and as an emergency measure, I bought a 3 Money prepaid-mastercard, just so I'd be guaranteed to keep at least one working debit card, if I needed it.

You can still get the card up and running on the same day, you'll just need a 3 Service phone number and a national ID document.

3V has been gone for years, I think, and I wonder who even was even using those cards outside of emergencies? All the domestic banks offer mastercard (or similar) debit facilities now, very inexpensively.

I don't want to switch to another phone service as I'm very very happy with Tesco Mobile. I think I'd be better getting a Swirl card or applying for a visa card from my bank.

hynesie08 wrote: »
    So, do you need a 3 money card to use them, if so just head into a 3 shop and get one, or the 3 website......

3v is a blast from the past though, you using it to pay for your clearwire broadband?????

You do apparently need a 3 money card which costs an extra 20 to top it up, which is absolute bull. I thought 3V vouchers were far better as you get the long 16 digit number, expiry date and CCV number on the same day. I won't be giving them any more money. Thankfully my sister is with 3 and she says she will buy the voucher from me. The reason I got the voucher in the first place is I wanted a book from ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

They were good for paying shady websites that I didn't trust to use my own bank card with. I just swapped websites to ones that accepted PayPal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I used them all the time in my early 20s to buy books / music online. This was before the atm card was also a credit card and didn't have a credit card + maybe a little young and backward... but they did work. A flat €2.50 service fee and a fee for tranferring the remains of a voucher to another voucher. Really poor value for money in hindsight also were often the bane of shop assistants lives who mightn't have known exactly what they were or how to print one. I saw an email some time back saying they were increasing the service fee which, with now having both a debit and credit card, made them seem so unattractive. My condolenses to those that lost their jobs though.

The change from Laser to Visa/Mastercard Debit killed that market outright really. The replacements are for people who are using them for security reasons or better forex rate mostly

Op do you mean a swirl card?

http://www.swirlcard.com/

Hi, I do. It seems a much better option.

Hi, I do. It seems a much better option.

Was reminiscing about 3v vouchers of any help to you?

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Was reminiscing about 3v vouchers of any help to you?

It wasn't much help reminiscing about them, but they were way superior than 3 vouchers.

• Advertisement

It wasn't much help reminiscing about them, but they were way superior than 3 vouchers.

Sorry you got caught, you might find some use for the 3 vouchers so they're not a waste.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭black_and_blue

3V vouchers, what year is this?

3V vouchers, what year is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭Greyfox

The change from Laser to Visa/Mastercard Debit killed that market outright really.
    True and it was a good change. It sounds like the company assumed everyone changed and forgot about the fact that they still have an obligation to support any issues with there product.

3V Vouchers were available back in 2007 and probalby up to 2014.

3V Vouchers were available back in 2007 and probalby up to 2014.

Its worth mentioning that 3 are a boll*x of a company. Many other companies would just give you a refund and possibly also a pat on the head :)

Its worth mentioning that 3 are a boll*x of a company. Many other companies would just give you a refund and possibly also a pat on the head :)

Ah finally someone who is blaspheming 3, and speaking out against them.:D Yeah f**k them. If I want a prepaid visa/masercard I'll get a mastercard in future. Thankfully like I said my sister is buying those vouchers from me.

Advertisement