Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you date a robot?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,502 ✭✭✭✭banie01

If I can get a Gemma Chan lookalike that is USB rechargeable and has a mute button to nosh me off on a regular basis...

I for one welcome our new robot Overlords!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

If Intelligent sexy robots existed today ? Would you date one?

Would it feel unnatural? Are you technophobic? Would it evolve to be any different than having a smartphone?acceptable and trendy?

Could you fall in love with a robot? More than likelyhttps://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2019/05/07/could-fall-love-robot-romance-machines-could-future-relationships/

09024555.jpg

Yes. My rubber friend is getting so predictable in bed. She makes no effort and just lies there moaning. I could have got married if that i what I wanted.

wakka12 wrote: »
    I would have sex with a robot but i cant believe the majority would date one, date somebody who has no genuine independent thought of their own throughout your entire relationship?

I suppose that is the question really. How do you even know the people you date have those things?

What do we mean by "robot". Is it something approximating independent thought and free will - or does it actually have these things? There are debates even as to whether _we_ even have these things or are the illusory.

But even if they are only approximating it - so what? There is the "uncanny valley" effect in play then. Since you can not even prove the person you love has free will or independent thought - why does a robot require it?

For "love" to happen perhaps all it has to do is to be competent at giving the illusion of having these things accurately enough to trigger your sensibilities. Perhaps this is all the people you actually do love are doing for all we know - and all we ourselves are doing for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Not if she looks like the crushinator!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

I would have sex with a robot but i cant believe the majority would date one, date somebody who has no genuine independent thought of their own throughout your entire relationship? Date somebody who will never feel love or even affection towards you no matter how many decades you spend together? I think thats sad! But if it makes people happy, then I suppose its not sad really.

Why can’t an AI have a genuine independent thought? Why can’t an AI feel love or affection? Just because an AI that advanced hasn’t been created yet doesn’t mean it will not be impossible in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

it took guy less then episode to bang the one after purchase :pac:

fckit why not, no whining about feminism,income, house cleaned dinner made, out of picture when not needed whats not to like, almost living like royal :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Niska

Depends. Is it fully functional and programmed in multiple techniques?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    Absolutely, provided she doesn't have a robot mother in law for me to visit as well.

I suspect Woman might be a Cylon. Her mother is bolted to a girder in Japan - she's a welder at Kawasaki Heavy Industries.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Poll needs a "It's too bad she won't live. Then again, who does!" option. RIP Rutger Hauer. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,828 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I would have sex with a robot but i cant believe the majority would date one, date somebody who has no genuine independent thought of their own throughout your entire relationship? Date somebody who will never feel love or even affection towards you no matter how many decades you spend together? I think thats sad! But if it makes people happy, then I suppose its not sad really.

I'd be thinking that they would be something akin to the ones in Westworld.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I think you have to buy the naughty parts separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Would I .... Yes.

But only if I had a large tub of lubricating gelly, plus a tin of 3in1 oil and set of jump leads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Are we talking a Rachel like in blade runner? If so it's a definite yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,638 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Headline I read recently in a tech mag "The Sex robots are cumming";)

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

I'm just waiting for the rest of ye to get on board with the idea. I've been dying to bring Matilda out in public for 15 odd years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭zimmermania

I am not so sure but but i would'nt mind being married to one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭zimmermania

I MUST HAVE STUMBLED IN HERE BY ACCIDENT SO I WILL SAY GOODBYE.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,311 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

anacc wrote: »
    Why can’t an AI have a genuine independent thought? Why can’t an AI feel love or affection? Just because an AI that advanced hasn’t been created yet doesn’t mean it will not be impossible in the future.

Can anything have an independent thought? Do thoughts exist outside electrical and chemical cause and effect?
    I'm not convinced free will exists for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,060 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

We'll stop calling them robots, we'll start calling them synthetic humans, it'll be grand :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

jimgoose wrote: »
    Poll needs a "It's too bad she won't live. Then again, who does!" option. RIP Rutger Hauer. :D

Batty: Questions... Morphology? Longevity? Incept dates?

It's likely that any company selling such robots would be a prime target for those wishing to steal their client list for the purposes of blackmail.

What if the robot gets a virus ?
    Ransomware isn't cheap.
    But in a "honest amongst thieves" thing it's in their best interests to unlock stuff when the victim pays.

Speaking of which already live in a world where even tractors are locked down to prevent third parties repairing them.
    "If a farmer bought the tractor, he should be able to do whatever he wants with it," Kevin Kenney, a farmer and right-to-repair advocate in Nebraska, told me. "You want to replace a transmission and you take it to an independent mechanic—he can put in the new transmission but the tractor can't drive out of the shop. Deere charges $230, plus $130 an hour for a technician to drive out and plug a connector into their USB port to authorize the part."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

odyssey06 wrote: »
    We'll stop calling them robots, we'll start calling them synthetic humans, it'll be grand :)
    There is an issue though: if we push for gendered humanoid robots, guess they'd need to balanced, male and female.

- Was reading how there is a prevalence for female gendered as is ...(one reason being they would be perceived as less threatening)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

No thanks, but it could be of benefit to those who can't form lasting relationships either due to chronic illness or some kind of disability, so I can see how that side of the synthetic industry could potentially be a boon for that demographic. A lot of money could and will be made.

However, at the same time human emotions and connections are extremely complex. Make no mistake AI is only going to become more and more advanced in the centuries to come and will be an entity we will have to share a living space with.

That's what is so fascinating about Blade Runner and AI; what are the ethics of artificial life and what rights should/would they/it have?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Greyfox

No thanks, but it could be of benefit to those who can't form lasting relationships either due to chronic illness or some kind of disability, so I can see how that side of the synthetic industry could potentially be a boon for that demographic. A lot of money could and will be made.

However, at the same time human emotions and connections are extremely complex. Make no mistake AI is only going to become more and more advanced in the centuries to come and will be an entity we will have to share a living space with.

That's what is so fascinating about Blade Runner and AI; what are the ethics of artificial life and what rights should/would they/it have?

If people can get great comfort from talking to dogs it's possible an AI could one day be of some comfort. The shows humans, Westworld and Battlestar Gallactica all touch on the question of wheter or not its ok to abuse a robot.. id say in about 500 years we will be asking the question for real

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

As soon as they make them realistic enough that you can't tell and there's no feeling of uncanny valley, we're all screwed. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The big issue with freeing the slaves was the capital investment in them.

Many slave owners were financially compensated for not being able to resell them.

Advertisement