Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Being lazy with letter addresses.

Options
  • 24-07-2019 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭

Is it really necessary to write all the lines of an address on an envelope? Have you ever thought about getting lazy when addressing envelopes? For example I'm pretty sure most people know where the GPO in Dublin is.

I'm writing a letter going to the motor tax office in cork. So I have to go to the computer, look it up, write down all the lines of the address, etc. Could I not just put down "Motor Tax" and would it get there? How could a postman in cork not know where it was? Come to think of it I'd also have to write Cork County Council as opposed to Cork City Council.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

First line and postcode will do the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

There is a G.P.O in Dublin and Cork. At least, possibly more.

With the addressee as simply 'Pat the bollix' once got a letter successfully to Pat Spillane at his home in Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

buy a label printer if its such a hard issue, ffs :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Automatic reading machines. Just means someone will have to pull it out of the reject bin and put the correct address on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Friend of mine once got a letter addressed "Fergal, near the airport, Cork"
    He lived 1.5 miles from the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

The eircode alone would work.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭cylor

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Perhaps someone should try writing a letter to "paleoperson from boards.ie" and OP can let us know if it arrives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

If you put down Cork City Council motor tax office or Cork County Council motor tax office they'd get it.

The sorters do be fierce clever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

cylor wrote: »

That’s two years old though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

cylor wrote: »

That's actually hilarious.

"Only in Ireland..." :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

It's an eircode. It was never designed as a postcode.

I can assure you that if you ever require an emergency ambulance urgently you will be extremely glad to have an eircode that will bring medical assistance to your door without delay no matter where you live.
    For that fact alone, eircode is worthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

An Post never had any trouble delivering. The eircode was always for emergency services, couriers and service personnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Darc19 wrote: »

I can assure you that if you ever require an emergency ambulance urgently you will be extremely glad to have an eircode that will bring medical assistance to your door without delay no matter where you live.

Eircodes are great for when you're chatting to a girl you just met and you're too shy to ask them for their phone number

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Eircodes are great for when you're chatting to a girl you just met and you're too shy to ask them for their phone number

D04 KPMG

• Registered Users Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

D04 KPMG

Thatll just get your letter sent to worldstarhiphop

• Registered Users Posts: 15,799 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Not always. Tried to find a friend's place recently. He lives close to a motorway. The eircode got me to a point on the motorway, then I was expected to stop my car and walk over the motorway embankment to get the rest of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Not always. Tried to find a friend's place recently. He lives close to a motorway. The eircode got me to a point on the motorway, then I was expected to stop my car and walk over the motorway embankment to get the rest of the way.

Your navigation system took you there.
    Perhaps it wasn't the fault of the aircode?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,799 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Your navigation system took you there.
    Perhaps it wasn't the fault of the aircode?

Well I don't know, software design isn't my thing.
    Maybe it's yours, but I couldnt care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

That's putting far too much power on the eircode system. Unfortunately the ability to get an ambulance straight to your door without delay, no matter where you live, relies on a lot more than an eircode.... if only it were so simple.

I actually resented hearing the eircode promo radio advert that peddled the same idea, as if it was a magic solution to ambluance service response issues. I'm sure it might be a help, but the advert was a cynical ploy to promote the eircode service, ahead of a commissioned survey to gauge the level of public awareness, and then to pay out performance bonuses. They shouldn't have used an element of fear to promote a service that was set up for commercial gain.

The advert was flagged as 'a public service announcement' - who was making this' public service announcement', and what was it's objective? The advert didn't actually say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Ger Roe wrote: »
    That's putting far too much power on the eircode system. Unfortunately the ability to get an ambulance straight to your door without delay, no matter where you live, relies on a lot more than an eircode.... if only it were so simple.

I actually resented hearing the eircode promo radio advert that peddled the same idea, as if it was a magic solution to ambluance service response issues. I'm sure it might be a help, but the advert was a cynical ploy to promote the eircode service, ahead of a commissioned survey to gauge the level of public awareness, and then to pay out performance bonuses. They shouldn't have used an element of fear to promote a service that was set up for commercial gain.

The advert was flagged as 'a public service announcement' - who was making this' public service announcement', and what was it's objective? The advert didn't actually say.

Last Sunday week I had to call an ambulance. I'm in a very rural area on Kildare / Dublin border.

I just had to give the eircode. The dispatch person then read out my address and I confirmed it.

Rather than having to direct a driver whilst also dealing with a medical issue, the driver had whatever contraption he needed to get to my door.

And if you live in a rural community, you'll hear many many first hand experiences just like mine.

And it's also why you'll find that the majority of rural dwellers will know their eircode without needing to check it.

Maybe one day you will find that you will need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

We have just bought a house. Everything that has to be done before closing has required the eircode to pinpoint it. It's BRILLIANT. Especially when the original address on the ad is different to the actual address but even the actual address leaves it on the edge of two other townlands...blah blah. The eircode cuts out any possible confusion and will presumably help a lot with the legal side also.

Last Sunday week I had to call an ambulance. I'm in a very rural area on Kildare / Dublin border.

I just had to give the eircode. The dispatch person then read out my address and I confirmed it.

Rather than having to direct a driver whilst also dealing with a medical issue, the driver had whatever contraption he needed to get to my door.

And if you live in a rural community, you'll hear many many first hand experiences just like mine.

And it's also why you'll find that the majority of rural dwellers will know their eircode without needing to check it.

Maybe one day you will find that you will need it.

My point is how it was promoted.... using the fear factor to increase awareness of a system that was struggling to achieve the required level of public recall, in order to pay performance bonus payments to the people paid to promote it. My question still stands - Who paid for the 'public service announcement' and for what specific aim?

I am glad it is now useful to the ambulance service because it wasn't when first designed and launched, yet that aspect was the sole focus of a 'public service announcement' advert campaign, rolled out just before a performance bonus survey was undertaken.

Call me an old cynic, but I think that approach was very cynical. Why was a fear focused 'public service announcement' used as a tactic for commercial gain?

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

There is a G.P.O in Dublin and Cork. At least, possibly more.

With the addressee as simply 'Pat the bollix' once got a letter successfully to Pat Spillane at his home in Kerry.

Strange that, there's plenty of bollixi in Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Ger Roe wrote: »
    My point is how it was promoted.... using the fear factor to increase awareness of a system that was struggling to achieve the required level of public recall, in order to pay performance bonus payments to the people paid to promote it. My question still stands - Who paid for the 'public service announcement' and for what specific aim?

I am glad it is now useful to the ambulance service because it wasn't when first designed and launched, yet that aspect was the sole focus of a 'public service announcement' advert campaign, rolled out just before a performance bonus survey was undertaken.

Call me an old cynic, but I think that approach was very cynical. Why was a fear focused 'public service announcement' used as a tactic for commercial gain?

Rubbish. They let you know of the value of the eircode in case of emergency. The only ads I saw were that you should know your eircode, because it might come in handy in case of emergency. The only "fear" there if you could call it that is your own pressure on yourself to learn it because it could be a useful idea.

My only remark would be that maybe they should have encouraged people to learn their GPS coordinates instead of paying so much for eircodes. I think you might have to learn four decimal places (at least three) - hardly too much of an imposition for a healthy adult - and people who couldn't learn them probably wouldn't know their eircodes either. Eircode cost a large amount of money and will continue to cost money as more addresses are being constructed/demolished while GPS would be permanent.

Rubbish. They let you know of the value of the eircode in case of emergency. The only ads I saw were that you should know your eircode, because it might come in handy in case of emergency. The only "fear" there if you could call it that is your own pressure on yourself to learn it because it could be a useful idea.

I have made no mention of any advert that anyone may have seen (press or TV)
    The advert I was specifically referring to was a radio advert, promoted as 'a public service announcement' and I questioned the use of the term and the objective of the campaign, particularly when it was aired in advance of a level of awareness survey being undertaken to justify paying performance bonuses.

Your comment aimed at me personally is unnecessary and irrelevant.

Actually, I have now found out that the advert was in fact found to be misleading and in breech of four advertising standards codes. The ASAI ruled that the add should no longer be broadcast, but it could not be banned because of the 'public service' status attributed to it by ministerial order.

Details here : https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/watchdog-finds-it-cant-ban-misleading-eircode-adverts-435821.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I was told next time I needed an ambulance [for a family member] to get in the car and start driving, then call the ambulance to meet at shopping centre halfway there. Makes sense if you’re in a rural area.

Advertisement