Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Have you ever attended a trial/court case?

Options
  • 05-05-2019 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,185 ✭✭✭✭

I sometimes wondered what the experience would be like. I did study law for a semester at college and the lecturer was a barrister and she recommended that we should give it a try just to see what it was like. I however haven't attend one.

During Liveline Joe interviewed a few of the people who regularly attended the Quirke trial and they were very stereotypical of how Coronation Street used portray them. Retired busy bodies with nothing else to do. It would kind of turn you off doing it.

If you have what was it like?

Mod Note Don't discuss anything before the courts at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I’ve served on a jury but attending trials that you have no connection to is for the retired and the unimaginative.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Yes, to see what they were like when was I was covering for the County Court officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I've popped into a few trials in my younger days, mostly high profile murder or drug cases.

It's actually very interesting to see things live and then read about it in the following days newspaper, reporters often miss or neglect to mention details that stand out to a neutral observer.

I got called for jury duty in a murder trial about two years ago but wasn't selected, the chap was found guilty by a unanimous decision which wouldn't have happened if i was on the jury.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Once accompanied someone to the Traffic Court. Manic stuff! Fines and bench warrants to beat the band.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭franklyon

the chap was found guilty by a unanimous decision which wouldn't have happened if i was on the jury.

Explains why you weren't picked. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Served on a jury. With a judge I cant stand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

I sometimes wondered what the experience would be like. I did study law for a semester at college and the lecturer was a barrister and she recommended that we should give it a try just to see what it was like. I however haven't attend one.

During Liveline Joe interviewed a few of the people who regularly attended the Quirke trial and they were very stereotypical of how Coronation Street used portray them. Retired busy bodies with nothing else to do. It would kind of turn you off doing it.

If you have what was it like?

Mod Note Don't discuss anything before the courts at the moment.

Yes on jury duty wasn't a pleasant experience, 3 week trail excused from ever appearing for jury duty again. Thank god

Had to attend a good few times when I worked in security.

The only time I had to actually give evidence was against a guy from Cork who tried to glass me in the face when I wouldn't let him and his pissed up mates into a pub. He ended up with a six month suspended sentence and a 1000 pound fine (Talking over 20 years ago here)

The rest of the time just a half day standing around waiting and they pleaded guilty as soon as their case was called or were absent and warrants issued.

I've studied law, and was also advised to attend trials, but the process is surprisingly tiresome.

If you walk into a random criminal trial hearing, the chances are you will hear the Prosecution or the Defence discuss/examine material which seems focus on the most irrelevant, asinine subjects you've ever encountered.

Its certainly a worthwhile project to observe a criminal trial, but prepare yourself for being utterly bored. Criminal trials do not resemble what you may have seen on TV. They are usually very forensic, non confrontational, and dignified, as they ought to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Strolled into the Graham Dwyer trial for a while. The courtroom was packed so we couldn't get a seat and left after about 20 minutes. Saw a person on the jury who I recognised from a good few years back. At the same time as the Dwyer trial there was 7 dissident IRA lads up for trial in the Special Criminal Court a few doors up so we went in there for a while instead. There was no-where near as much public interest in that trial so plenty of seats available. I know you can't convict lads based on looks but if you could then this bunch were definitely guilty! I remember one of them had his hand down his grey trackie bottoms scratching his nuts brazenly in the middle of court. All seven of them just had the look of hardened criminals.

Meant to get down to the recent Denis O'Brien defamation case, specifically where Michael McDowell had him on the stand and gave him a roasting. Missed it because of work. Also would have loved to have been there when Judge Peter Kelly told Michael O'Leary to get his hands out of his pockets and pay the court some respect or he'd lock him up, I'd say that was a hoot.

I've heard before that the Tralee and Killarney district courts are an absolute comedy show. Tons of lads up on drunk and disorderly charges and they all have their excuses ready. Judge Zaidan in Naas would be another a good one, mainly because he comes across as a complete bollox to everyone he judges. Had a mate up before him a few years back, he was caught with literally one single joint at the Oxegen festival. It was a first offence but that didnt matter to Zaidan, he hammered him with a conviction and a €1,500 fine whereas most other judges would allow the probation act and no convinction for paying a small fine, maybe €250.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

I've attended all of my own trials. I used to be a right toerag back in the day. Looking back I must say I found the whole experience of standing up in front of the judge very interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I attended one for about an hour when in TY (murder) and accompanied a class to one (attempted murder) a few years ago as a teacher. I have to say both were quite dramatic and exactly like you might expect from TV.

I was called as a witness in the old district court in Kilmainham once too. My evidence proved the Gardai were lying and I have been on the receiving end of plenty of harassment and unprofessional behaviour from them since.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I studied law so i had to for a bit.

Most cases are boring. Its ok if you get to choose which ones you want to see.

Family law courts are awful. You end up thinking adults are morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Yeah, I attended a court case. And I didn't attend anything else for the next six years after it had concluded :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I attended one for about an hour when in TY (murder) and accompanied a class to one (attempted murder) a few years ago as a teacher. I have to say both were quite dramatic and exactly like you might expect from TV.

I was called as a witness in the old district court in Kilmainham once too. My evidence proved the Gardai were lying and I have been on the receiving end of plenty of harassment and unprofessional behaviour from them since.
    Yes we believe you Gemma

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

I studied law so I had to spend time in court. Some cases are quite interesting. Not always the high profile cases either. I quite liked the Specials, and there’s rarely anyone in there so no issue with seats.

Dublin District Court is a sh!tshow though. Been in there a few times as an observer. It’s like a conveyor belt of the downtrodden, hopeless and just plain wrecked. It’s depressing really. I’ve seen ambulances bringing defendants to hospital as they’ve been so strung out.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Served on a jury at a trial 20 years ago and it was very interesting but otherwise I wouldn't be drawn to attend a court case or a trial unless I was a law student or closely related to the person(s) involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Id convict anyone wearing socks with sandals :D

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Or anyone who says "beers" rather than "pints"

Edgware wrote: »
    Or anyone who says "beers" rather than "pints"

Pints and beers are ok ...scoops though! Those people are aliens!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Pints and beers are ok ...scoops though! Those people are aliens!

The first time someone said this to me I thought they wanted ice cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

I'd convict any guy wearing shoes without socks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

I've been in the dock once, not a nice experience but the weeks leading up to it are worse, an expensive hobby too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I got called for jury duty in a murder trial about two years ago but wasn't selected, the chap was found guilty by a unanimous decision which wouldn't have happened if i was on the jury.

Which trial was this, anything well known?
    Edgware wrote: »
    Yes we believe you Gemma

In a country where we know the Gardai have tried to frame one man for murder and harassed him and his family for a decade and then also tried to frame one of their own for child sex abuse and harassed him to the point he nearly committed suicide are you really that surprised at that poster who says they were harassed as a result of proving a Garda was lying in court? This is what some Gardai get up to if you cross them, most of them are grand but there are some pig headed bullies in the force too who are well capable and willing to break the law, as has been proven numerous times to anyone who observes these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I gave evidence in a coroner's court.

Muahahaha wrote: »

In a country where we know the Gardai have tried to frame one man for murder and harassed him and his family for a decade and then also tried to frame one of their own for child sex abuse and harassed him to the point he nearly committed suicide are you really that surprised at that poster who says they were harassed as a result of proving a Garda was lying in court? This is what some Gardai get up to if you cross them, most of them are grand but there are some pig headed bullies in the force too who are well capable and willing to break the law, as has been proven numerous times to anyone who observes these things.

I would reckon they are less corrupt here than the states and the UK by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I was summoned for Jury Duty, but I managed to get an exemption

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

I work for a bank and years ago, staff were called over to court offices to be independent witnesses to proceedings at inquests. Death by misadventure or drink driving, that type of thing.
    Not quiet court cases but horrendous all the same really, when I think of it now, asking a junior member of staff to hear about how some young lad died and his parents sobbing throughout. Awful stuff, they put a stop to it a while back and I’ve no idea how it came about in the first place it but it was a regular thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Muahahaha wrote: »

It took over an hour for the pathologist to read out the list of injuries to the deceased, so it's probably well known.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Frightening.

Having attended and sat on a jury I would never want to do it again although it was interesting & thankfully noy a murder or rape.

I'd like to have the time or headspace to sit in on an entire drugs trial but suspect it would be far from the interesting dynamic cliffhanger I would want it to be.

Advertisement