Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone here literally never been on a date before?

Options
  • 04-05-2019 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭

I'm 29. Fuuuck. It's so weird, I'm not even particularly socially awkward, I've loads of friends, alright looking, likeable and friendly but just thought there how I've never ever had a date with a girl.
    R
    Anyone in the same boat. How did ya get to that point in your life? I blame bullying by girls back in school then going to an all boys school and not being particularly good at sport, turned a bit fat for a few years and was a bit awkward for a while. Not exactly Russell Brand these days but I'm like any regular guy but those early experiences condemned me to this life. I always feel inferior to birds. Strange I know. I also have bad sexual charisma to be fair, I am cute but no sex appeal. That’s a combination of personality and my frame, pretty diminutive. Maybe relationships aren’t so good but it would be great to really connect with someone. Someone to buzz off and do cool trips with and see the world. Only if you really clicked though. It’s funny I’ll be watching a show like first dates and even though I resemble more the kinda guy that looks the part, my experiences will be like the hapless hopeless romantic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Ah, just because birds can fly, there's no need to feel inferior. They may have wings but you have opposable thumbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

You're not weird you're you.

You're not inferior at all.

Being in a relationship is not all that.

Life can be good single :)

OP imma bird i don't feel confident all the time. Imma nobody etc. Who should i feel superior to?

Who are these superior people? They sound like they think they are our bosses ! :mad:

Superior people are not the boss of us! :mad:

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Ah, just because birds can fly, there's no need to feel inferior. They may have wings but you have opposable thumbs.

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I was on one yesterday. Didn't go as well as I'd hoped.

http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F140514111500-moomin-cafe-03.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

You're not weird you're you.

You're not inferior at all.

Being in a relationship is not all that.

Life can be good single :)

OP imma bird i don't feel confident all the time. Imma nobody etc. Who should i feel superior to?

Who are these superior people? They sound like they think they are our bosses ! :mad:

Superior people are not the boss of us! :mad:

I have girls who I am mates with but superficially. It’s not real connection even though they are nice people. I blame that on myself and my subconscious feelings of inadequacy all because some 11 year old girls were mean to me back in the day

Tbf, parts of dating seem ****e especially when you’ve never experienced being close like that with someone so when you actually break it down, you start to wonder would it be more hassle than it’s worth.

• Advertisement

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I was on one yesterday. Didn't go as well as I'd hoped.

http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F140514111500-moomin-cafe-03.jpg

Is this the Moomin Café in Tokyo, Japan? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Is this the Moomin Café in Tokyo, Japan? :p

Yes! My Moomin didn't look like her picture at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Ask_her_out....gif

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Yes! My Moomin didn't look like her picture at all.

Cuddly Toy Trap! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

I think the best way to deal with this is Nike-style, just do it

Ask a girl out. Coffee is a good first date, because you can leave after half an hour if you're not hitting it off, or you can stay for hours and go for food if it's going great.

Are you on any of the dating apps? I've had a good few ****ty experiences on them but some good ones too.

Side note: If there's some kind of PTSD there holding you back from being bullied as a kid, maybe get some counselling around that.

• Advertisement

Yeh ofc use Tinder, but for someone who has never really hit it off with a girl, I don’t like it. I would preferably for me to hit it off organically with someone and I say that as someone who could actually get with a hotter girl by using Tinder. With real life, you’re gonna be attracted to other qualities, with Tinder, I’ll only swipe on girls I consider conventionally very attractive. But I just use it for ego not gonna lie.

Yeah maybe I should get some therapy.

• Site Banned Posts: 51 ✭✭Brendan Delaney

1. Learn to dress
    2. Get fit
    3. Go out and meet women. Keep grinding away until you get lucky.

Yeh ofc use Tinder, but for someone who has never really hit it off with a girl, I don’t like it. I would preferably for me to hit it off organically with someone and I say that as someone who could actually get with a hotter girl by using Tinder. With real life, you’re gonna be attracted to other qualities, with Tinder, I’ll only swipe on girls I consider conventionally very attractive. But I just use it for ego not gonna lie.

Well, maybe you should work on being less shallow. Tinder does place a lot of focus on looks, but not exclusively, you can tell a lot about a person's personality and interests from their photos and bio.

If you want to meet a girl organically, you need to be getting out of the house a lot - nights out, join clubs, go to lots of events.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Yeah maybe I should get some therapy.

Maybe this though? Not in any mean way but if you think it it's likely true. If you think that lowly of yourself... Or go out and enjoy yourself with normal humans

I'm 29. Fuuuck. It's so weird, I'm not even particularly socially awkward, I've loads of friends, alright looking, likeable and friendly but just thought there how I've never ever had a date with a girl.
    R
    Anyone in the same boat. How did ya get to that point in your life? I blame bullying by girls back in school then going to an all boys school and not being particularly good at sport, turned a bit fat for a few years and was a bit awkward for a while. Not exactly Russell Brand these days but I'm like any regular guy but those early experiences condemned me to this life. I always feel inferior to birds. Strange I know. I also have bad sexual charisma to be fair, I am cute but no sex appeal. That’s a combination of personality and my frame, pretty diminutive. Maybe relationships aren’t so good but it would be great to really connect with someone. Someone to buzz off and do cool trips with and see the world. Only if you really clicked though. It’s funny I’ll be watching a show like first dates and even though I resemble more the kinda guy that looks the part, my experiences will be like the hapless hopeless romantic.
    Maybe I'm reading too much into your post, but you don't seem to lack a healthy level of self-awareness (you're realistic about your looks, but not dismissive; you acknowledge your positive attributes without emphasising them); you seem not to be overly confident nor too phobic towards interacting with strangers, and you are acutely worrisome towards your romantic life in a way that most healthy twenty-somethings are. In short, you seem like a normal person of your age.

I suspect you've either been a little unlucky with women, or what's holding you back is that you're overthinking things, and not allowing things to happen of their own accord.

I don't think anything you've described is 'weird', my only suggestion is to confide in some friends and ask them for help in hurrying things along when it comes to the opposite sex (not too hurried mind you, oh matron)

Yeh but can’t help but feel I just lack that it factor. As I get older and my sitch has changed, my luck with girls hasn’t. I’m not sexually confident at all, being a near 30 year old virgin will do that to you. It makes you kinda feel like a man child and it always plays in the back of your mind. It’s just sex but in one aspect of my life I don’t feel like a grown up.

How atypical do you think it is in Ireland? Imagine there’s guys out there my age who lost their virginity 14 years ago, even longer. That’s scary

Yeh but can’t help but feel I just lack that it factor. As I get older and my sitch has changed, my luck with girls hasn’t. I’m not sexually confident at all, being a near 30 year old virgin will do that to you. It makes you kinda feel like a man child and it always plays in the back of your mind. It’s just sex but in one aspect of my life I don’t feel like a grown up.

How atypical do you think it is in Ireland? Imagine there’s guys out there my age who lost their virginity 14 years ago, even longer. That’s scary

There aren't too many 30 year old virgins these days. Are you introverted? Introversion will kill your chances with women.

I wouldn't necessarily be jealous of anyone who lost their virginity at 15-16. A lot of them will have had bad experiences. And anyway, comparing yourself to other people will get you nowhere.

You might be surprised the amount of people in the same position.

I'd def say counselling is a good idea, and then just start taking action - you can't think yourself out of this problem, you've been thinking about it for years... start doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I haven't been on a date either

When is your book coming out?

Next month. How many copies will I put you down for?

• Advertisement

There aren't too many 30 year old virgins these days. Are you introverted? Introversion will kill your chances with women.

I know many introverted men in stable, happy relationships.

I'm introverted in some ways but extroverted in others. I don't think I look like someone who would struggle with girls.

I'm introverted in some ways but extroverted in others. I don't think I look like someone who would struggle with girls.

You seem way too focused on looks, yours and the girls...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Go to the disco have a dance and then the slow set comes on

Dates me h0le

Go to the disco have a dance and then the slow set comes on

Dates me h0le

Lmao disco. 2019 brah get with the times.

Lmao disco. 2019 brah get with the times.

The lingo is dated but he's not wrong. Are you based in Dublin? Get thee to Coppers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

1. Learn to dress
    2. Get fit
    3. Go out and meet women. Keep grinding away until you get lucky.

Not going to have much luck on Grindr I reckon.

KikiLaRue wrote: »
    The lingo is dated but he's not wrong. Are you based in Dublin? Get thee to Coppers.

I get lost in the coppers shuffle. It's a lion's den in there. Never enjoyed pulling random girls in a night out. It's nice if you get with someone you kinda know but other than that, **** that

I get lost in the coppers shuffle. It's a lion's den in there. Never enjoyed pulling random girls in a night out. It's nice if you get with someone you kinda know but other than that, **** that

It seems like you're putting up a lot of barriers - you don't want to meet someone in a nightclub but you also don't want to meet someone on a dating app... where do you want to meet someone?

What are your hobbies, or what could you take up?

Are there any women you fancy at work?

Or mutual friends?

• Advertisement

KikiLaRue wrote: »
    It seems like you're putting up a lot of barriers - you don't want to meet someone in a nightclub but you also don't want to meet someone on a dating app... where do you want to meet someone?

What are your hobbies, or what could you take up?

Are there any women you fancy at work?

Or mutual friends?

Yeh I fancy a chick but she has a bf. We got on well, bit too well and I noticed she sort of pulled away over last while

Advertisement