Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you have unprotected sex with a person who has aids, even if takings meds

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

According to the medical profession if the infected person takes their medication then the viral load would be so small that it would be impossible to transmit the virus to another person.

So if the person is taking the medication their is no danger.

If. But what if they don’t?
    Why the hell wouldn't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

it's highly discriminatory not to have sex with AIDS sufferers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I wouldn't even have protected sex with one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Sardonicat wrote: »

Well because they are human? Forget to take it, take it incorrectly, get sick and don't realise that can affect it, become complacent and think they'll be ok if they miss a few. All these things can happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,018 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Forgetting to take them, not being able to afford them, is there anything that can stop them working like drink or drugs? People aren’t infallible.

The best thing anyone can do is to stay as safe as possible when having sex, if your partner has HIV and is taking medication, I think, you should still use protection.

And anyone who doesn’t tell someone they are HIV+ before engaging in unprotected sex should be liable to prosecution.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

ceadaoin. wrote: »

Well because they are human? Forget to take it, take it incorrectly, get sick and don't realise that can affect it, become complacent and think they'll be ok if they miss a few. All these things can happen
    I guess they can bit when you're talking about a disease that used to mean certain death within a few years of contracting it and you've got medication that keeps you alive and living a perfectly normal life I'd imagine you'd be pretty vigilant, both for your own sake and your partner's. I'd have no problem having unprotected sex with a long term partner on this medication. I wouldn't have unprotected sex with someone I didn't know well.

And anyone who doesn’t tell someone they are HIV+ before engaging in unprotected sex should be liable to prosecution.
    It gets worse than that. Some friends who are gay (including one who works in sexual health, and who is not prone to exaggeration) tell me that there is now in the gay community a phenomenon of claiming to be taking prophylactic HIV drugs in order to convince someone to have unprotected sex.

As much as I believe in the near-miracle of the development of drugs that prevent HIV transmission (me being a shill for Big Pharma and all !!), you're absolutely correct to emphasize the frailties of human nature, which may include forgetting to take such drugs accidentally, or even deliberately lying about taking them.

Although I don't think there remains a good reason to be traumatised about contracting HIV, none of the latest developments are an excuse for unprotected sex. HIV may not be much more serious than syphilis these days, but you shouldn't be particularly blase about either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,018 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Although I don't think there remains a good reason to be traumatised about contracting HIV, none of the latest developments are an excuse for unprotected sex. HIV may not be much more serious than syphilis these days, but you shouldn't be particularly blase about either.

I’d be traumatised if I caught syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes!!

Would be pretty pissed if someone gave me Hep C too.

Manageable or not HIV is a big deal and shouldn’t be seen as nothing to worry about.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

I’d be traumatised if I caught syphilis, gonorrhea or herpes!!

Would be pretty pissed if someone gave me Hep C too.

Manageable or not HIV is a big deal and shouldn’t be seen as nothing to worry about.
    Actually, I reckon I'd be a lot more traumatised about Hep C than Syphilis or HIV.

I'd liken HIV and Syphilis to a failed marriage. You'll never forget it, can be irrationally embarrassing for some, will be somewhat taxing, but it certainly won't kill you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,315 ✭✭✭CoBo55

HIV or AIDS? There's a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭yuridwyer

Genuine question from a heterosexual male to homosexual men on this thread, (who has never had anal sex with a woman (or a man obviously)) - why would you have unprotected (anal) sex with anyone? One night stand whom you know nothing about or committed relationship - sorry if I offend anyone but I just don't get it from a pleasure point of view - ok, better feeling without a condom (cons outweigh the pros in my opinion however I acknowledge my inexperience in this area), or a sexual health point of view (potential HIV). I've been offered it by women in the past but I just don't see the point in any way, and I'm far from homophobic.

Genuine question.....

Advertisement