Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should the Iona Institute back off?

Comments

worded wrote: »
    On a scale of 1 to Iona how bigoted are you?

I like that expression

With 1 being "I hate Catholics and their opinions" and Iona being at the other end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

The Iona Institute appears to take some positions I don't agree with. However, a yes result doesn't mean the Iona Institute should back off any more than a no result means the gay community should back off.
    anna080 wrote: »
    we are a democracy and all, but

Is this the new "I'm not racist, but..." ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

LorMal wrote: »
    Absolutely zero respect for the point of view opposing your own. Very undemocratic really. I'm for the yes side but I have no respect for the way the no side has been oppressed

Oppressed? Are you sure that's the word you were looking for?

Let me help...

Palestinians are oppressed. Kurds are oppressed in Turkey. Oppression is a strong word.

Are you suggesting that having people disagree with the No campaign on twitter is oppression?

Really?

I mean Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

If we have a blasphemy referendum and that passes it will show them up to be very out of touch. A second referendum defeat in a row ffs.
    Ideally they'd disband but whatever it is about religion it makes people very stubborn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Oppressed? Are you sure that's the word you were looking for?

Let me help...

Palestinians are oppressed. Kurds are oppressed in Turkey. Oppression is a strong word.

Are you suggesting that having people disagree with the No campaign on twitter is oppression?

Really?

I mean Really?

A bit hysterical, no? unclench your panties there

• Advertisement

Yeah, it was really undemocratic they way the yes side sued RTE for daring to criticize them.

Wait, no, that was Iona.

Well, that's just not what happened.
    But what is happening is people being sued for not baking SSM cakes.
    That's oppression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

Christ no, sure their such nutjobs, they're usually an advantage to the opposing side. Their 'every child needs a mammy and daddy' only served to offend widows, single parents, adopted children, children in care etc. I know a lot of people who voted yes just because they hated Iona and how offensive their posters were.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Some people seem to think freedom of expression is a right only if your saying the right things.

People who shout them down and say they should be put out of existence are surely the biggest hypocrites of all.

Equality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,338 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Well, that's just not what happened.
    But what is happening is people being sued for not baking SSM cakes.
    That's oppression.

OMG, I didn't bake one either, will I get sued?

Oh wait, it wasn't "people being sued for not baking SSM cakes", it was a company accepting an order and then breaking the contract for a reason that is not allowed under Northern Ireland's very strict (naturally) anti-discrimination legislation.

(On the subject of the OP, I think the more we see Iona the better, they drive everyone into the arms of whatever they're opposing. But it's a slightly painful process alright, having to watch them display their craziness to the world.)

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

The country would be a very boring place to live if there was no difference of opinions. If they're not breaking the law I don't really care what they get up to.

• Advertisement

volchitsa wrote: »

Oh wait, it wasn't "people being sued for not baking SSM cakes", it was a company accepting an order and then breaking the contract for a reason that is not allowed under Northern Ireland's very strict (naturally) anti-discrimination legislation.

(On the subject of the OP, I think the more we see Iona the better, they drive everyone into the arms of whatever they're opposing. But it's a slightly painful process alright, having to watch them display their craziness to the world.)[/

The company was dragged through the courts and fined for not agreeing to bake a cake with a message supporting SSM.
    To me, that's a worrying development. We need to preserve freedom of speech and freedom of thought.
    The fact that you support this development only proves to underline my concern.

(On the subject of the OP, I think the more we see Iona the better, they drive everyone into the arms of whatever they're opposing. But it's a slightly painful process alright, having to watch them display their craziness to the world.)

The company was dragged through the courts and fined for not agreeing to bake a cake with a message supporting SSM.
    To me, that's a worrying development. We need to preserve freedom of speech and freedom of thought.
    The fact that you support this development only proves to underline my concern.
    Do you understand that commercial law doesn't allow companies to break contracts willy nilly? And that Northern Ireland has historical reasons to be particularly severe about companies refusing to work with minorities?

Or are you determined to play the victimization card no matter what?
    Too much doesn't work you know. it's a double edged sword, that.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭daUbiq

Yes they should, they're obviously head bangers.

Do you understand that commercial law doesn't allow companies to break contracts willy nilly? And that Northern Ireland has historical reasons to be particularly severe about companies refusing to work with minorities?

Or are you determined to play the victimization card no matter what?
    Too much doesn't work you know. it's a double edged sword, that.

Willy Nilly. Unfortunate term given the context.

Willy Nilly. Unfortunate term given the context.

Freudian slip I guess. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Its only right that a counterpoint be put across in big decisions. Following a single agenda with little dissent is not a good thing, just look at where the past obsequiousness to the church lead us.

If those counter augment's don't stand up to scrutiny all it can do is to strengthen the opposing view or vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

YFlyer wrote: »
    I doubt that. Plenty of organisations or groups would bite the hand off you to be on radio or TV.

Well that is what I was told, Ireland is a small country and it is hard to find people on the conservative side when it comes to debate, as most don't want to get involved with the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Some people seem to think freedom of expression is a right only if your saying the right things.

People who shout them down and say they should be put out of existence are surely the biggest hypocrites of all.

Equality?

Exactly, I might not agree with someone, but everyone has a right to express their opinion in a peaceful manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alexis Sanchez

RobertKK wrote: »
    Exactly, I might not agree with someone, but everyone has a right to express their opinion in a peaceful manner.

Would that include generalizations of races?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

jonny666 wrote: »
    What Americans??

This might be a good place to start: http://www.bocktherobber.com/2013/06/what-exactly-is-the-iona-institute/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Well clearly RTEs legal team, presumably pretty well up on the law of defamation, didn't agree with your hole!

Obviously don't agree with you, but I couldn't help a chuckle at that one!

Seriously though, I think it's hypocritical that they cry foul when someone brands them as something they don't like, yet they can use whatever language they like to insult whoever they happen to be campaigning against.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

It's was the very fact that we have the Iona crowd aka religious right that played its part in a high turnout imo. I think ppl who were hitherto unaware of them were simply aghast at the lot of them. Did any of them think they came across well on TV , such as Paddy Manning or Ronan Mullins? Look at Mullings on Prime Time for example. What a vile performance. I think the vast majority of ppl were utterly disgusted with them. They could not come across as GENUINE with their main objection argument. Good riddance to religious zealous and idealists who have no place or clout left in this country and that's what I'm most happy about today ! Totally over the moon !

I really hope we don't go down the road of suppressing dissenting voices - through the courts, the media or on the web.
    I remember the suppressive atmosphere of Holy Catholic Ireland in the 70s. It's beginning to feel like Holy Liberal Ireland now - with similar suppression of dissenting voices being called for.

colossus-x wrote: »
    It's was the very fact that we have the Iona crowd aka religious right that played its part in a high turnout imo. I think ppl who were hitherto unaware of them were simply aghast at the lot of them. Did any of them think they came across well on TV , such as Paddy Manning or Ronan Mullins? Look at Mullings on Prime Time for example. What a vile performance. I think the vast majority of ppl were utterly disgusted with them. They could not come across as GENUINE with their main objection argument. Good riddance to religious zealous and idealists who have no place or clout left in this country and that's what I'm most happy about today ! Totally over the moon !

Didn't see that, but Mullen is one of the few politicians that make the Seanad relevant. I don't agree with his stance, but he can articulate a good argument in that forum. I think it's very healthy in a democracy that all voices are heard, even if we may not like what they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Didn't see that, but Mullen is one of the few politicians that make the Seanad relevant. I don't agree with his stance, but he can articulate a good argument in that forum. I think it's very healthy in a democracy that all voices are heard, even if we may not like what they say.

I didn't mean to center my point around Mullen particularly , he wasn't the only one. You didn't really say anything about my main point only 'you didn't' see it'. Fine ! I really don't care today !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I despise organizations like Iona and YD but they should be given the oppurtunity to speak. It's better to let idiots and bigots air their views and then watch as they're picked apart.

The level of debate on this issue was astonishingly poor. Those who opposed amendment were very poorly represented by the likes of David Quinn and the Iona Institute. His rallying call to the 'over 55s and Rural Ireland' was pathetic - making it out that only old codgers and culchies were opposed to the Amendment.
    The problem was that few who that concerns about the amendment wanted to be lambasted and denigrated on social media and held up to be homophobic.

It's amendment was passed through a campaign of vitriol unfortunately. It's a pity, because what is a nice victory for a small group in our society has turned into a nasty and bitter hatefest.

colossus-x wrote: »
    I didn't mean to center my point around Mullen particularly , he wasn't the only one. You didn't really say anything about my main point only 'you didn't' see it'. Fine ! I really don't care today !

It seemed a rant about some Mullings guy. He was mentioned twice in a short post. Assumed you meant Mullen and answered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

Groups like iona are handy, so extreme that even the people they think they represent are put off by them.

No idea how they think they know what they're talking about. 2 of them have phds in theology and economics. Hardly experts on marriage or children.

• Advertisement

No idea how they think they know what they're talking about. 2 of them have phds in theology and economics. Hardly experts on marriage or children.

Is that really valid?

Think if we extended the logic to homosexuals, "their opinions are invalid, hardly experts on marriage or children".

What courses or lifestyle makes one an expert on marriage and children. A Catholic with 10 kids and a degree in sociology?

Advertisement