Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Same Sex Marriage Referendum Mega Thread - MOD WARNING IN FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I'd be disappointed.

But would you see them as 2nd class citizens with less rights than others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

If I had kids why would I talk to them about gay people?:confused:

Because gay people exist? Or are you just planning on saying nothing about things you apparently find distasteful and hope they never find out?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,447 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Hyzepher wrote: »
    But would you see them as 2nd class citizens with less rights than others?

No but it depends on what rights you mean. I want the right to do and have lots of things. Doesn't mean i'm going to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

I will absolutely vote NO. It is an insult to God...this is a Catholic country after all... and a yes vote would be unfair on our childerens. Two gays should not be rearing kids.

Just joking. Don't be an arse. Vote yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Lt J.R. Bell, there's no point in engaging with you if you're already assuming I haven't read or researched anything (something you threw about a lot in the last thread to other posters) and make petty insults towards my intelligence. Ordinarily, I'd have no problem discussing the content of that spreadsheet but not if I'm met with that type of condescending, presumption attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

No but it depends on what rights you mean. I want the right to do and have lots of things. Doesn't mean i'm going to get it.

What did you mean when you said you disagreed about rights? Can you answer the question please. This is the third time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I'd be disappointed. But if that's the way they want to be then so be it.

Aye, those crazy kids and the way they choose their sexuality…

David Cross telling it like it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

I'll be voting yes but I am surprised talking to a lot of people IRL who say they'll be voting no.

Because gay people exist?

...and? I should sit my kids down and have a chat because "gay people exist"? Lots of people exist. Not a very compelling reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

The 160 differences between Civil Partnership and Civil Marriage are?

Estate being one of them
    Next of Kin
    Taxes

etc etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

...and? I should sit my kids down and have a chat because "gay people exist"? Lots of people exist. Not a very compelling reason.

What if your kids ask you about gay people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭gravehold

MrWalsh wrote: »
    Why do they need a surrogate?

Its could be that one of the men has custody of his own child from a previous heterosexual encounter.

The point is, all different types of families already exist.

Gay male couple can already have a kid together biologically anyway

What did you mean when you said you disagreed about rights? Can you answer the question please. This is the third time.

They should not have the same marriage rights as heterosexual couples. Simple enough.

Surely you would want them to understand the differences and ensure that they are not bigoted towards their sexuality. You know, to give them an objective viewpoint rather than waiting for them to hear lies and hate from others?

What if your kids ask you about gay people?

If they asked...the chances seem remote. I wouldn't go out of my way to discuss it. Why would I?

If they asked...the chances seem remote. I wouldn't go out of my way to discuss it. Why would I?

One of the important aspects of parenting is to educate your children - not simply wait for them to somehow ask the right question

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Trudiha

Obvioudly this has nothing to do with the referendum but, as you've brought it up, what makes you feel that you are qulified to judge other people's suitability for parenthood?

One of the important aspects of parenting is to educate your children

I agree 100%. You go to any primary school in Ireland, and certainly when I was in primary school, what is the number one offensive term used when kids are being slagged?

I think you are a bit out of touch if you think that even 11 year olds don't know what being gay is.

Trudiha wrote: »
    what makes you feel that you are qulified to judge other people's suitability for parenthood?

What makes you feel i'm not? I am just as entitled to my opinion as anyone else. There are two choices in the referendum.

I agree 100%. You go to any primary school in Ireland, and certainly when I was in primary school, what is the number one offensive term used when kids are being slagged?

I think you are a bit out of touch if you don't think that even 11 year olds don't know what being gay is.

I have an 11yr old.

11 yr olds think they know what being gay is. They hardly know what being straight is.

it would be your responsibility as a parent to ENSURE that your child doesn't bully or verbally abuse any child - regardless of their sexuality.

Educating them yourself is the key to this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Quelle Surprise , no effort to actually show that you have actually read any of it.

You couldn't even be bothered looking it up for yourself!
    Is Google down for the No voters? Are they bullying you now too?

What makes you feel i'm not? I am just as entitled to my opinion as anyone else. There are two choices in the referendum.

Of course you're entitled to any opinion you like and are even entitled to share it with me but to deliberately inflict ignorance on a child seems cruel and an odd choice for someone who sees themselves as an arbiter of parenting.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jimdublin15

KungPao wrote: »
    I will absolutely vote NO. It is an insult to God...this is a Catholic country after all... and a yes vote would be unfair on our childerens. Two gays should not be rearing kids.

Just joking. Don't be an arse. Vote yes!

Well it's up to you how you vote that's your right, I respect that you have a right to your opinion.

Just note I disagree that's my right, however note that whatever you vote or do will never ever stop gay people raising kids. Trust me I am telling you from firsthand experience we already do. :p and nothing you can do to change that :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭222233

Did anyone else hear the Iona peoples debate, they would really encourage you to vote YES

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jimdublin15

Well it's up to you how you vote that's your right, I respect that you have a right to your opinion.

Just note I disagree that's my right, however note that whatever you vote or do will never ever stop gay people raising kids. Trust me I am telling you from firsthand experience we already do. :p and nothing you can do to change that :p

@ KungPao sorryI just got in rain in my eyes and no glasses on. My old eyes must have somehow missed that last line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Nothing more needs to be said if you'd be disappointed your kids are gay. I'm straight. Not afraid to say that I would have been a homophobe when I was younger. I don't have kids but if I do I most certainly would not be disappointed in them if they were gay. I'd hate to have your miserable life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Lt J.R. Bell

One of the important aspects of parenting is to educate your children - not simply wait for them to somehow ask the right question

Educate your children , according to your culture and religious beliefs, which, the State can not interfere with, as the Parent is the Primary carer....

Like it or not, not every household is liberal one

Provided they are law abiding ,which includes refraining from making or inciting hate towards gays or refusing to offer services etc because they are gay... what's the issue?

Why would a person of strict religious beliefs, for example, go out of their way to educate their children on something that opposes their beliefs? Why would a Muslim , (name any religion/ cultural attitude) go out of their way to educate their off spring about the beliefs of another religion?

Why on earth would you go out of your way to discuss sex or anything related to it while a child is under 15 years old?

One senses , if certain people got their way, they would try to control how a person parents their kids

• Registered Users Posts: 25,406 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

You have so much to learn, You have my pity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Lt J.R. Bell

traprunner wrote: »
    Nothing more needs to be said if you'd be disappointed your kids are gay. I'm straight. Not afraid to say that I would have been a homophobe when I was younger. I don't have kids but if I do I most certainly would not be disappointed in them if they were gay. I'd hate to have your miserable life.

So, the poster that you referred to ,is miserable, because

he expressed an opinion different to yours, about a situation that maybe no more than hypothetical , and remote. Who knows, attitudes might even change after realising but getting on with the disappointment of not seeing grand children from the said child...etc

What do you know about him? He might be far from miserable

On the other hand, some gays talk about being miserable and suicidal and not coming to terms with themselves and how society treats them (hey straight people have issues too)

Whose's shoes would you rather be in?

Funny, if anyone made such a comment as you have to another, there would be an notice from the mods telling them that they are being threatened with a ban or actually would be banned , for being "uncivil" etc

Keep that stuff up. No doubt it will remove doubt about gay marriage for those who are not sure how to vote.

• Advertisement

One senses , if certain people got their way, they would try to control how a person parent's their kids

And if others got their way, some folks would be denied the joy of parenting altogether and not because of who they are but because of what they are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement