Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kobo Touch Black eReader £29.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭pah

great little yoke. even posting this with it right now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Fired mine up this morning, doesn't seem too keen on setting up via Kobo Desktop setup...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭wingnut

You can't install the Kindle App but you can get software to convert your Kindle books.

pah wrote: »
    great little yoke. even posting this with it right now :)

Have you rooted it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 CAUN

I cant add the black one to the basket! Anybody else having the same problem?

By the way what sort hack/modding can you do to this?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 CAUN

Fuuuuuuuuuu!!!! Black one out of stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

Thanks for this. Just ordered 2, only had lilac in stock though but as we all know only real man have Lilac accessories

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Interrobang

I picked up mine from Parcel Motel on Thursday. It's quick and easy to set up, and I was keen to see how it reads so I just copied and pasted in a couple of epubs directly into it. It's a great little device for that price, and it's rarely been out of my hands since :-)

I'll use Calibre rather than Kobo Desktop to organise books on it, though.

An absolute steal for the price - thanks, OP!

I picked up mine from Parcel Motel on Thursday. It's quick and easy to set up, and I was keen to see how it reads so I just copied and pasted in a couple of epubs directly into it. It's a great little device for that price, and it's rarely been out of my hands since :-)

I'll use Calibre rather than Kobo Desktop to organise books on it, though.

An absolute steal for the price - thanks, OP!

To copy epubs directly to Kobo, where do you aim them?
    I ended up using Calibre but really hate the GUI on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

You could use Adobe Digital Editions! I'm actually using a mix, since some of my books from Calibre uploaded with no cover pages / wrong page used as cover!

• Advertisement

pm1977x wrote: »
    To copy epubs directly to Kobo, where do you aim them?

Once you connect the Kobo and it shows up as a removable disk on your computer, just drag and drop the epubs directly into the drive.

If you're using calibre, here's a handy page to set up managing your library:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193184

I used the following as I have lot of books that are in series, and found it easier than editing the names:

Changing Book Titles to include Series Info

One probably also wants to change book titles to include Series info. That gets done via what is called a "metadata plugboard". Through these you are able to modify items like the book's title or author as it gets transferred to your device.

Go to Preferences | Import/Export | Metaboard plugboards

It looks complex, but is not.

On the line that reads Add new plugboard do the following
    In the box Format (choose first) select epub
    in the Device (choose second) box select KOBOTOUCH
    In the Source Template the magic happens . Here you have a lot of options
    To modify the book's title to <Series> - <Number> - <Title> type
    Code:
    {series}{series_index:0>2s| - | - }{title}

To use it you need to have the series column filled, and have to fill it in the correct order, but it looks neater doing it this way! :D

To use it you need to have the series column filled, and have to fill it in the correct order, but it looks neater doing it this way! :D

Neat is good!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Raoul

Anybody know of a good clip on type light to use? Preferably very cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Mary1910

These are available in WHSmith downstairs in Arnotts , Henry St Dublin for 39.99 euro this works out just about about the same when the 29.99 st is converted to euro and parcel motel cost.

The black one is back in stock again. It shows as out of stock on the search results page, but in stock when you click into the product page (OP's link). I ordered another two this morning for upcoming birthday presents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

how is this for browsing the web? Limited?

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    how is this for browsing the web? Limited?

It's passable - B&W, obviously, no audio, no Flash, etc. Grand for pages that are predominantly text-based, just ok for everything else. Handy if you want to check something, but I'd say you'd more readily turn to your smartphone.

Edited to add: Scrolling will drive you bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

Thanks OP - and the BT11AA worked fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭rebellad

Thanks OP - just ordered 1. Having a sister in the North is costing me a fortune and very handy at the same time!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

styron wrote: »
    Thanks OP - and the BT11AA worked fine.
    did. you use bt1 for the kobo?
    if so it's risky. why not use pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Mary1910 wrote: »
    These are available in WHSmith downstairs in Arnotts , Henry St Dublin for 39.99 euro this works out just about about the same when the 29.99 st is converted to euro and parcel motel cost.

can anyone confirm this?

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

did. you use bt1 for the kobo?
    if so it's risky. why not use pm?

Oblivious to the risk to be honest. The OP matter-of-factly added they used the code successfully and more or less suggested it. After the horse had bolted (ie. discovering all other orders were via PM) I did rationalise it as a justifiable risk - on such a low price an extra 10% to PM, taking it over €40 etc.

TNT ship it through Royal Mail for W. H. Smith and it looks as if a second smaller barcode sticker (including the code N11 inside a rectangle) is overlayed for the journey south - so likely there's a definite procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Mary1910

As per previous post this exact reader is available from WHS in Arnotts in Henry St, Dublin for 39.99 euro. So no hassel with codes postage etc and in fact I think it works out a lilttle cheaper.

It was a bang-on price match for my first order. My W. H. Smith transaction came through as €36.49, plus €3.50 for Parcel Motel... I think that's the first time I've ever had that happen! :). If anyone living in Dublin is considering picking it up in Arnotts, it's a really good price for a great little device.

Much obliged to the OP for posting the W. H. Smith link, as Arnotts isn't an option for me. I got one for me and two more as birthday presents, so I'm well pleased.

Yeah, if I count in public transport it would have cost more from Arnotts, but a great price! Nooks (Glo?) are going cheap in Currys / PC World according to another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Raoul

Anybody know of a good cheap cover? And a good cheap clip on light?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Mary1910 wrote: »
    As per previous post this exact reader is available from WHS in Arnotts in Henry St, Dublin for 39.99 euro. So no hassel with codes postage etc and in fact I think it works out a lilttle cheaper.

sound, thanks for the heads up. Ill be around there friday afternoon, hopefully still some left. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Nice bargain. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭lukaszd2007

Thanks, anyone know a good and a cheap cover for it and can share a link?

Advertisement