Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goujons: A Jeremiad.

Options
  • 22-05-2015 10:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭

So we're in a building with rudimentary enough canteen facilities. Microwave, toaster kettle etc., so most people bring their lunches with them, or go down to the local shops/cafes/restaurants. Today I didnt bring lunch, kids were off school so I snuck (sic?) out of the house rather than clattering around the kitchen making sandwiches.

My man (adjacent cubicle drone) anyway said around lunchtime, that he didnt bring his lunch either , and would we go out for a sandwich. I said, will we go to the (modest) restaurant beside us. He said "fine, but I might have to borrow a fiver". I said "my treat, no worries".

In we go, I order the toasted special at 6.50, hand my menu to the waitress. My man says he'll have the chicken goujons with chips and salad.

So after horsing down the grub, I go up to pay. 18euro it came to (11.50 for his (saucy enough for f**kin goujons!!). As i was entering in my PIN, he said he had 7 euro and offered a handful of shrapnel. Surprised he had any money, I said "ah no, hang onto it, get me next time". The went back into his pocket in a blur.

Now I know I had offered to pay as "my treat", thinking he had f**k all cash, but am I right in thinking the cute Kerry hoor stiffed me? He had 7, and could have got the tasted special, or even cheaper sandwiches, or soup and a roll etc. No, when he got wind I would be paying he ordered the f**kin goujons.

Seeing as I am leaving next week, was i stiffed, he has no intention of getting me back?
    Should I have taken his 7, and cleaned him out?
    Should he have gotten something with the money he had?
    Should I order steak next week?
    Should I just blast him with piss, and to hell with his f**kin goujons?

I dont know if i'll be able to sleep playing this out in my mind tonight...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

You were screwed OP, no kissing either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Husband?
    Boyfriend?
    Homie?
    Equerry?
    Lackey?
    Butler?
    Nordie?

Who the hell is your man?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

jeremiah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

You call that a jeremiad? Pah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

catallus wrote: »
    You call that a jeremiad? Pah!
    I know, it doesn't even rhyme.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Husband?
    Boyfriend?
    Homie?
    Equerry?
    Lackey?
    Butler?
    Nordie?

An astonishing oversight on my part. I'm so upset I neglected to clarify.
    Now fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

All this 'my man' talk makes it sound like a date. So, you paid, tough sh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Isn't Goujon Ajeremiad the President of Iran?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

It cost you 11.50 to learn never to be taken for such a mug again. A bargain, as life lessons go. (Tightwad will never buy you lunch btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Order steak next week.

that is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,117 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

He said he might need to borrow a fiver because he wanted the chicken goujons and knew that he only had 7 euros on him. He'd already said this before you offered to pay. he did try to give you money towards it but you refused. It's your own fault!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

when you say "my treat " you pay i don't believe this man is the master of deception

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

You got rogered, roger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Sounds like a hungry bollix.

Life is full of them.

He's probably at home now thinking about how much he didn't spend while pulling his flute and picturing your face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    He said he might need to borrow a fiver because he wanted the chicken goujons and knew that he only had 7 euros on him. He'd already said this before you offered to pay. he did try to give you money towards it but you refused. It's your own fault!

I dont think anything sinister is going on, he did say could he borrow a fiver. You said "My treat". You could have given him a fiver and you'd be on here a month from now wondering when is the right time to ask for it back.

Now you have the upper hand, wait for a few days after payday and ask him if he wants to go for lunch and casually go, oh and its your shout! If he runs away, then you got screwed. If he doles out for goujons for you it turns out, he didn't roger you, he is just normal.

Guy didn't do anything wrong.. He said he needed a fiver so you thought he had nothing when really, he just needed it to make going out for lunch worth it.
    Exact same result if you had taken his seven euro but you didn't because you're too polite. Or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Thinly veiled I've loads of money to buy everyone lunch and you're skint thread !

21/25

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Fresh or frozen goujons?

ceadaoin. wrote: »

If roles were reversed, I'd have ordered something I could afford, certainly not something almost twice the cost of what the person who was offering to pay cost!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

So in the end, you refused to take the difference, which woukd have resulted in him owing you LESS than a fiver.

Yeah, tottally your own fault OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Send him an invoice or burn his house down.

The ball's in your court now OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

burn his house down.

Thread is two days old and this is the first piece of constructive advice given to the op.This place is starting to slide,not a single suggestion of scat revenge whatsoever.Not even a fleeting mention :(

Send him an invoice or burn his house down.

The ball's in your court now OP.

After I get my steak?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Gotta watch out for those adjacent cubical drones

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

After I get my steak?

Naturally...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

next time when you offer to buy someone lunch make sure you specify that they're limited to the 3 cheapest things on the menu only. Tight ass.

Guy didn't do anything wrong.. He said he needed a fiver so you thought he had nothing when really, he just needed it to make going out for lunch worth it.
    Exact same result if you had taken his seven euro but you didn't because you're too polite. Or something.
    next time when you offer to buy someone lunch make sure you specify that they're limited to the 3 cheapest things on the menu only. Tight ass.

f**k it now I feel bad I didn't get the Meursault he was eyeing...

Advertisement