Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Same Sex Marriage Referendum Mega Thread - MOD WARNING IN FIRST POST

1194195196197198200»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

ronivek wrote: »
    I wonder why the support was so lob sided?

Maybe because the majority of people involved positively in our society saw the merits of a 'Yes' vote and didn't buy into the scaremongering and at times pure fantasy of the 'No' campaigners?

I'm actually happy it turned out this way; most countries just enacted legislation but this way the Irish people got to say 'Yes' to homosexuals in a way that no other nation has ever done.

And that was despite a vile hate-filled campaign devoid of any evidence or fact and based entirely on trying to pick at the fears and prejudices that simmer beneath the surface of quite a few people in this country.

I am always accepting of a result in a referendum. It is best to put things like this before the people to decide, it then clears up the intention of the people.
    However some are never accepting and then want things repealed...(not this, but previous referendum from 1983).

Lob sided as it is the popular cause of the day in western societies. The good thing is Irish people decided and not a court or a legislature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

Anita Blow wrote: »
    100% Yes vote in the tally for Finglas West. Holy Jeebus

Was it not that one box in Finglas West was 100%? Or do you have something more up to date?

https://twitter.com/elizadolally/status/602082572907216896

That would be amazing if it was 100% overall for the constituency :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Proud day to be Irish! we are making headlines across the globe for all the good reasons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

RobertKK wrote: »
    I am always accepting of a result in a referendum. It is best to put things like this before the people to decide, it then clears up the intention of the people.
    However some are never accepting and then want things repealed...(not this, but previous referendum from 1983).

Lob sided as it is the popular cause of the day in western societies. The good thing is Irish people decided and not a court or a legislature.

Lob it into me boss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

100% Yes vote in the tally for Finglas West. Holy Jeebus

Source?

That can't be right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Wasn't hard, the full might of the state backing it, from all political parties, the gardai, IDA, multinationals, media, celebs, sports personalities, millions of foreign money.
    It was not hard to win, given how lob sided the support was.

Congrats to Yes.

I actually don't understand. You're complaining that the Yes vote won because the Yes side had more support? Isn't this how it's supposed to work? The side with the most support wins.

Source?

That can't be right

See my post up above. Think it was reported that one box in Finglas West was 100% yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Not a NSA agent

K4t wrote: »
    Breda O'Brien on the radio just now:

"Who's going to speak for the 35%?"

"I was afraid of getting involved in this campaign"

"I had a rough year, I was called a homophobe"

No Breda, you're far, far worse than a homophobe.

What does the 35% need to be said for them?

"Some of us are unhappy, others will just continue with their life"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Was it not that one box in Finglas West was 100%? Or do you have something more up to date?

https://twitter.com/elizadolally/status/602082572907216896

That would be amazing if it was 100% overall for the constituency :)

Might just have been the box! I'm following the #MarRef timeline on Twitter and one of the tweets just said 100% Yes for Finglas West!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

It was not hard to win, given how lob sided the support was.

So on the one side you had the RCC and their spokespeople, and on the other you had a government with a poor satisfaction rating. If this was all about marketing and propaganda then the NO side could have won easily.

And there were two referenda. One has been accepted by the people, one has been rejected. It's a bit petty and insulting to suggest that it was about the money being pumped into posters, door-to-door campaigns, YouTube videos and newspaper ads.

In some respects the "NO" campaign won this referendum for the YES side: They told lies, they displayed scorn towards our LGBT citizens, and they refused to debate the real issues. The final blow (I think) was when the bishops opened their mouths and threatened to no longer solemnise weddings. People saw through the arrogance being displayed there, and through the pretence that the church was "all about the kids".

Seems accurate

She went on to say that the result raises a "very big question for representative democracy in Ireland" and wants to know who will represent those who voted No.

Local homophobe doesn't understand the concept of representative democracy, shocker

It is not accurate.

Over a third of voters are not represented by any political party, given they are all sheep and sided with what they knew would win. A lot of politicians from Yes parties couldn't be bothered campaigning.
    Just Yes hanger ons for the victory which opinion polls were showing.

I had no one canvass me for Yes or No in the referendums.

Might just have been the box! I'm following the #MarRef timeline on Twitter and one of the tweets just said 100% Yes for Finglas West!

Same here. Following the #marref timeline, and that's where I saw them say one box was 100% :)

There's someone called CR who 11 minutes ago said '100% Yes vote in Finglas West! O mo Dhia. Unreal. So well done Finglas! #MarRef' but think they may have mis-interpreted the original and all other tweets that said 100% in one ballot box. (All others on it seem to just say one box).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

See my post up above. Think it was reported that one box in Finglas West was 100% yes.

Ah, that makes a whole lot more sense. Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

The frame!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭kal7

great to see how representative are Iona lobby group are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Thing is they spoke for themselves, by voting. Just so happened that there was more people who also spoke for themselves, by voting the other way. So everyone gets to speak, and if you were genuinely interested in democracy rather than the imposition of dogmatic ideology, you'd be happy about that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Looks like tipp south may be the constituency with the highest no vote

I'm pissed that we in north tipp have to merge with them now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Shure don't they have the likes of Democratic Right Movement to vote for now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

It is not accurate.

Over a third of voters are not represented by any political party, given they are all sheep and sided with what they knew would win. A lot of politicians from Yes parties couldn't be bothered campaigning.

This isn't like a political election; people will have been voting with their individual, personal prejudices not going with parties!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Anybody else worried for the homosexual who said if we could get married I'd totally marry you, is now thinking oh f@€k.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Nice one on that Finglas West station. In fairness, here only last week, areas with a lot of problems like Finglas West were deemed backwards and likely places with high "no" returns.

Go on the Fingerless! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Same here. Following the #marref timeline, and that's where I saw them say one box was 100% :)

There's someone called CR who 11 minutes ago said '100% Yes vote in Finglas West! O mo Dhia. Unreal. So well done Finglas! #MarRef' but think they may have mis-interpreted the original and all other tweets that said 100% in one ballot box. (All others on it seem to just say one box).

Tis the exact tweet I read! Cheers for the clarification :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Breda basically just said how brave she was...

Takes a lot of bravery to deny rights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I think the issue is that hardly any political representatives that they elected stood up for them because they were more worried about votes that what they believed in.

Zen65 wrote: »
    So on the one side you had the RCC and their spokespeople, and on the other you had a government with a poor satisfaction rating. If this was all about marketing and propaganda then the NO side could have won easily.

And there were two referenda. One has been accepted by the people, one has been rejected. It's a bit petty and insulting to suggest that it was about the money being pumped into posters, door-to-door campaigns, YouTube videos and newspaper ads.

In some respects the "NO" campaign won this referendum for the YES side: They told lies, they displayed scorn towards our LGBT citizens, and they refused to debate the real issues. The final blow (I think) was when the bishops opened their mouths and threatened to no longer solemnise weddings. People saw through the arrogance being displayed there, and through the pretence that the church was "all about the kids".

I was in church where they read out the bishops's statement, which was not anti-gay.
    But the priest said at the end, that people should vote, and with their conscience, whatever way that is.
    The church has a very reserved approach to the referendum, compared to previous decades.

pg. 666 WE DID IT LADS

A GAY IN EVERY HOME HAIL SATAN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

Great to know that some of the Yes campaigners now think that approx. 35% of the population are homophobes and bigots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

myshirt wrote: »
    Come on K4T, that is outrageous.
    No more outrageous than still feeling sorry for herself and seeing herself as a victim for losing a fight to continue inequality that discriminates against gay people. Outrageous is that this had to be decided by a referendum because of people like her. Outrageous is that this referendum was so vigorously fought by herself and her pals at Iona who spun lies and misinformation in an attempt to continuously muddy the waters. That is outrageous, a disgrace, unconscionable, whatever word you want to use.

Now she's saying that despite the even broadcast and debating time she received, it was an influx of money from years ago that decided this. Yes, far worse than a homophobe.

I think I need to get off my laptop and stop following all the updates, and get into town and try to find some rainbow coloured food or drinks to bring to the eurovision party tonight to celebrate! :D

It is not accurate.

So political parties are "sheep" for representing the viewpoint of the electorate? I think it's time to stop posting and go enjoy the sunshine, mate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

PeteFalk78 wrote: »
    Great to know that some of the Yes campaigners now think that approx. 35% of the population are homophobes and bigots.

Suck the lemon. Suck it good.

fr336 wrote: »
    This isn't like a political election; people will have been voting with their individual, personal prejudices not going with parties!!

6 out of 165 TDs in the Dail said they were voting No, excluding Ceann Comhairle.
    96.4% yes support in the Dail, will that be representative of the public vote?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Since this thread is about to reach 10k posts, I've set up a new thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95597740

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement