Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Open University at 50

Options
  • 15-10-2019 11:11pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So the Open University, a project set up by a group of academics and policy makers in the UK in the late 1960s in an attempt to democratise higher education and make it available to all, and not just the professional classes, turns 50 this month.

the-open-university-116240.jpg

When the Open University was founded in 1969, its guiding principle was to broadcast key aspects of its courses and modules via the medium of television, to the wider public in order to foster a desire to learn and develop knowledge. To date tens of thousands of people worldwide have received degrees via the OU, and by most measures it has been a success.

Of course the internet has augmented the television based material, and the whole question of the direction third level education has taken in the past 25 or so years, where corporate interests are increasingly dictating the content and culture of higher education to the concern of many, puts the role in the Open University into perspective.

What of its future? Has anyone here ever done a course via the OU? Does anyone remember, back in their childhood, watching Open University programmes on TV and being fascinated with their subject matter? Would you ever consider doing an OU course?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Such a great logo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

It's very expensive to study with them if from the South e.g. it's about £3000 per year (and it'll take about 6 years for a degree) but in the North it's only £1000 odd for a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I have a degree from the OU. I enjoyed doing it, found it really well organised and incredibly supportive. It is very expensive though, and I'm glad I had a typical college experience first as I feel that was very worthwhile too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A place that gave plenty of Irishmen and women a way to better themselves esp in disciplines that were unavailable or had only very small numbers of places at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I applied for a lecturing job there a few weeks ago. Feckers never got back to me :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I vaguely remember the open university being aired early, like very early on BBC2 (I think) when I was a kid, in the early/mid 80s.

And I vaguely remember seeing my first fanny ever on that show, during some kind of pregnancy show/lesson.

First thoughts were 'there's hair down there':confused:

Followed by 'babies come out of there?? Mam said we come from her bellybutton!!!':eek:

So I owe them a lot in a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I'm currently studying at masters level with them. It's very well organised and the quality of materials and study platforms is brilliant. As someone said they are expensive to study with but always worth checking if your employer will sponsor some or all of the fees. You'd be entitled to the 20% tax relief failing that. I'd have no hesitation recommending them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,436 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

JupiterKid wrote: »
    So the Open University, a project set up by a group of academics and policy makers in the UK in the late 1960s in an attempt to democratise higher education and make it available to all, and not just the professional classes, turns 50 this month.

the-open-university-116240.jpg

When the Open University was founded in 1969, its guiding principle was to broadcast key aspects of its courses and modules via the medium of television, to the wider public in order to foster a desire to learn and develop knowledge. To date tens of thousands of people worldwide have received degrees via the OU, and by most measures it has been a success.

Of course the internet has augmented the television based material, and the whole question of the direction third level education has taken in the past 25 or so years, where corporate interests are increasingly dictating the content and culture of higher education to the concern of many, puts the role in the Open University into perspective.

What of its future? Has anyone here ever done a course via the OU? Does anyone remember, back in their childhood, watching Open University programmes on TV and being fascinated with their subject matter? Would you ever consider doing an OU course?
    Doing one now but I really wasn't prepared. Found out when I started that a module has been on 2 weeks before I copped it !
    My fault completely. I need to put the hours in now.
    I think employers look on it as slightly lesser than a normal college

• Registered Users Posts: 24,155 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I've looked into it numerous times but have always backed away due to the high cost of it.

There was an attempt to create an Irish equivalent at one point (Oscail), but again, it was prohibitively expensive. It seems to have become DCU Online now and a quick google shows that most universities are now offering on-line learning programmes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,811 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

You just never know what your next thread is going to be OP, do you have some kind of random thread generating software?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

I just associate it with staying up late and taking drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

and I was thinking (when saw the thread title): c'mon JupiterKid - I can't remember you said anything about being 50 before :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

mvl wrote: »
    and I was thinking (when saw the thread title): c'mon JupiterKid - I can't remember you said anything about being 50 before :)

Many people study at age 50 and beyond. Shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Many people study at age 50 and beyond. Shouldn't be a problem.
    ah, that is not what I mean, of course it's no problem at all (I am not that far from it myself - less than a decade)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

mvl wrote: »
    ah, that is not what I mean, of course it's no problem at all (I am not that far from it myself - less than a decade)

I get a petty joy in going off on a sidetrack.

Advertisement