Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the Irish Navy a disgrace?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,117 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Did you watch the rescue?. Would you have let them drown?.

I think something like 8 of the 120 people on that boat died btw, but many lives were saved, its all there in the first ten minutes of the clip.

I didnt say let them drown. We should have ferried them from where they sailed or not be there at all. It wasnt a rescue mission.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭malinheader

Where are they taken after they have been rescued. The answer to this is why people are drowning. If they were sent back to where alot of them are coming from I don't think as many of them would be willing to risk their lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

odyssey06 wrote: »
    It wasnt a rescue mission.

No, pulling those drowning women and children from the sea and administering CPR to them wasn't a rescue.

For awhile I thought you were trying to make some sense, but I can't be arsed with this level of stupidity. I'm done.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,117 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

No, pulling those drowning women and children from the sea and administering CPR to them wasn't a rescue.

For awhile I thought you were trying to make some sense, but I can't be arsed with this level of stupidity. I'm done.

It not a rescue mission when your presence encourages people to sail in unseaworthy vessels. Thats a level of stupidity thats costing lives and we are now culpable in those 8 deaths.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

odyssey06 wrote: »
    It not a rescue mission when your presence encourages people to sail in unseaworthy vessels. Thats a level of stupidity thats costing lives and we are now culpable in those 8 deaths.
    He can't make the connection. The migrants come out and hole their boats knowing either the Navy or one of the other migrant ferry services will pick them up. Some of the ferry services send up a flare when they arrive a whole 10 - 15km off Libya coast. they are then "rescued" to pretty much the furthest possible shore.
    ISIS had a head chopping extravaganza on the Libyan coast and during the festivities announced they were sending guys into EU to sow mayhem.
    These ferry services are bringing them in and if nothing else will ruin the welfare state in EU. The same virtue signalling psychos who cheered on the destruction of Libya by NATO are welcoming the fruits of that labour - ISIS and other islamists - into EU. Don't rule out it could be some pseudo religious pennance type thing for the harm we did Libya, Syria etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Oxter

Its very top heavy.
    The patrol boats are commanded by officers with the rank of Lt Commander - this indicates that the most senior officer should be a Commander not a Vice Admiral ffs.

The total fleet size barely comprises a squadron.

The Army and AGS are also top heavy.

Even Gadaffi only gave himself the rank of Colonel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭davetherave

Oxter wrote: »
    Its very top heavy.
    The patrol boats are commanded by officers with the rank of Lt Commander - this indicates that the most senior officer should be a Commander not a Vice Admiral ffs.

You are not wrong, it is top heavy but Mellett is a Vice Admiral because he is the Chief of Staff of the Defence Forces.

The Flag Officer Commanding Naval Service is a Commodore.

You are not wrong, it is top heavy but Mellett is a Vice Admiral because he is the Chief of Staff of the Defence Forces.

The Flag Officer Commanding Naval Service is a Commodore.

The highest rank should still be a Commander, its a squadron of patrol boats at best, not a navy.

Next we will have Varadker giving himself the rank of Field Marshall; prefix His Exhalted Excllency Field Marshall Leo; complete with pink shoes, purple lipstick and gold braid everywhere, memories of Idi Amin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

statement says
    For comparison purposes, the Naval Service detained 7 fishing vessels in 2018 of which 2 were UK registered fishing vessels.
    http://merrionstreet.ie/en/News-Room/Releases/Statement_by_the_Department_of_Defence_in_relation_to_Naval_mission_in_Dundalk.html

where can I find information about these detentions? ( I found info about the last 4 https://t.co/gM8xjrWNM0 naval detentions of 2018 but perhaps because the Defence Forces have a new website the press releases about earlier ones is gone. )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭ohfa6muwtsvkc1

The military, any military, is disgusting and a disgrace tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

is that a captain planet quote?.

greencap wrote: »
    is that a captain planet quote?.

What was he a captain in, is the question

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭Ted Johnson

Who would defend the nation?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Including the Salvation Army ?

Who would defend the nation?

Wouldn't need to if there were no militaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

what if theres a famine in one country and all the people there get desperate, and decide to take their neighbors food?

The police, coastguard and humanitarian organisations would be able to help.

The police, coastguard and humanitarian organisations would be able to help.

The Army Air Corps provides a humanitarian air ambulance service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Oxter wrote: »
    The Army Air Corps provides a humanitarian air ambulance service.

We don't have an Army Air Corps, the UK does, we have an Irish Air Corps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Are you sure you are allowed to operate a computer on your own? Does your Mommy know you are on the internet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

"The issues included that the propellers can come out of the water when the ship pitches in rough seas, with concern that this may affect the ship's machinery."

Its not like you can run back, pick up the propeller and reattach it like a back wheel on a Lada. I will pass on this one if you dont mind.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Where does it say they can ?

Going out into the North Atlantic in winter can be interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peacock-class_corvette
    They were specifically built for service in Hong Kong with the 6th Patrol Craft Squadron; for work in tropical climates they were fully air conditioned and were capable of remaining at sea during typhoons.
    While the British Royal Navy classifies these vessels as offshore patrol boats, they are classed as coastal patrol boats by the Irish Naval Service, probably because of the climate in the Atlantic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

"The issues included that the propellers can come out of the water when the ship pitches in rough seas, with concern that this may affect the ship's machinery."

Its not like you can run back, pick up the propeller and reattach it like a back wheel on a Lada. I will pass on this one if you dont mind.
    why would you need to be able to do that , coming out of the water doesn't mean becoming detached from the shaft

Advertisement