Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attacking Strangers

Options
  • 16-06-2017 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭

When I was growing up in Dublin I remember there were certain people who were known for randomly attack people. Judging by the news nothing has really changed. It happened to me a few times but I was underestimated on each occasion so was lucky not to have been severely injured.
    Minding my own business when somebody just randomly says "What are you looking at?" and then a pretence of some slight is made and then the attack. Normally when there is more of them than you.
    Just wondering is there anybody here who was the attacker and what they get out of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    When I was growing up in Dublin I remember there were certain people who were known for randomly attack people. Judging by the news nothing has really changed. It happened to me a few times but I was underestimated on each occasion so was lucky not to have been severely injured.
    Minding my own business when somebody just randomly says "What are you looking at?" and then a pretence of some slight is made and then the attack. Normally when there is more of them than you.
    Just wondering is there anybody here who was the attacker and what they get out of it?

Nice try Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

There will unfortunately always be assholes out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭jeanjolie

Pics or GTFO..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Overt nosyness and snap judgement are part of this nation's psyche, whether it's withering disdain from someone who self-perceives themselves as socially superior or some random nutjob from one of the more socially disadvantaged areas who thinks 'f*g' or 'w**ker' the moment they clap eyes on you, it's a very tiresome aspect of Irish life.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

here is one way of getting out of it

them: what aare yis looking aaat?

Us: nootin , hear , where do yuse live?

them: Gardener St.

Us: wot, them big posh houses?

---we go our sepeate ways

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Theres the problem......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

You wont get any responses because in the scumbags eyes the attack was justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

You wont get any responses because in the scumbags eyes the attack was justified.

And very few of them can read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Invitation to fight:

scobe: "are you lookin at my bird sham?"
    "No"
    scobe: "why, what's wrong with her?" Or "are you calling me a liar are you?"
    "Ah FFS, Here we go..."

*Lob a dig

• Registered Users Posts: 19,125 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Sounds to me like you were asking for it. The cheek of you. Walking around and growing up. That'll feckin' learn ye!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It was always the wannabe hardmen from the better estates that would give the most trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 9,690 ✭✭✭buried

what yuuu lookin at??

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

When you were a kid, you knew the drill. No sense in waiting for the inevitable outcome of the charade. You just did something to try and distract them, punched them as hard as you could and legged it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Only recently found out that my dad was attacked by four lads when he was 17/18 on his way home from his part time job. He sort of knew them and i think it was planned to steal his wages so in that case there was a motive. The attack was quite serious though.

Anyway he use to carry a sort of baseball bat thing after that for a while when he was going to and leaving work. One day, one of his sister's kept getting prank calls on the house phone from fellas messing (not the same as the people who attacked him) and they had made a call just as he was leaving for work.

When he left and got around the corner, he saw some lads that he knew laughing in the phone box so he put two and two together, walked up to the phone box, stuck his arm in with the bat with just enough space to give them a few hits but held the door closed so they couldnt get at him :pac:

He didnt beat them up now or anything but just a few whacks, he was friend's with them and palled with them a lot in later years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,125 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Lorelli! wrote: »
    Only recently found out that my dad was attacked by four lads when he was 17/18 on his way home from his part time job.  He sort of knew them and i think it was planned to steal his wages so in that case there was a motive. The attack was quite serious though.

Anyway he use to carry a sort of baseball bat thing after that for a while when he was going to and leaving work. One day, one of his sister's kept getting prank calls on the house phone from fellas messing (not the same as the people who attacked him) and they had made a call just as he was leaving for work.

When he left and got around the corner, he saw some lads that he knew laughing in the phone box so he put two and two together, walked up to the phone box, stuck his arm in with the bat with just enough space to give them a few hits but held the door closed so they couldnt get at him :pac:

He didnt beat them up now or anything but just a few whacks, he was friend's with them and palled with them a lot in later years :)

Reminds me of another story.
    I remember being woken up early some morning by the lady next door screaming. Her husband John had had a heart attack. Myself and a few of my friends from other neighbours houses ran out. This was back in the day before everyone had a phone. We ran down to the local phonebox to try to dial 999 and some local mentaller with a baseball bat came up and started attacking us.
    Anyway to cut a long story short, we couldn't call the ambulance and John died. We eventually became "friends" with the mentaller, i.e. allowed him to hang around more out of fear rather than anything.
    He turned out to be a decent enough fella. That said, I heard his kids are right arseholes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

I remember being woken up early some morning by the lady next door screaming. Her husband John had had a heart attack. Myself and a few of my friends from other neighbours houses ran out. This was back in the day before everyone had a phone. We ran down to the local phonebox to try to dial 999 and some local mentaller with a baseball bat came up and started attacking us.
    Anyway to cut a long story short, we couldn't call the ambulance and John died. We eventually became "friends" with the mentaller, i.e. allowed him to hang around more out of fear rather than anything.
    He turned out to be a decent enough fella. That said, I heard his kids are right arseholes

Oh right! :/ well I meant that it was more of a "kick up the arse" kind of thing with the lads in the phone box and it was them who were making the prank calls! Don't get too outraged there Donald over a few 17/18 year old lads having a bit of a fight over prank calls made to one of their sisters in the 70's! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Haha! :) Gas post.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It was always the wannabe hardmen from the better estates that would give the most trouble

Not where I lived it wasn't. Thinking back 30 years and seeing whats happened to them since it is now fairly clear to me that the most aggressive and violent of the guys from the council estate (next one over to us) had fairly rough home lives. I got smacked around a few times for no reason from the scrotes and there was the constant threat in school however without exception they performed poorly academically and in life in general. A few died early, a few are in and out of jail, loads on drugs and all the girls had kids early on to sculpt a new generation.
    Very sad life tbh.

Advertisement