Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Spring/Summer 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Quite a heavy burst of rain over WX but no sparks yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bejubby

All going up the Irish sea looking at sat24

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Bejubby

All going up the Irish sea looking at sat24

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Losing their 'oomph' as they head into the south and southeast. Any factors that could reinvigorate them?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

Sparks just at Rosslare now and more just south of Cork. Looks promising for the afternoon.

Hmmm those strikes showed up on Lightningmaps .. don't see them now. Also showed a strike at Coumfea West peak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Well out of the risk zone here but sky still looks like a touch down could occur at any moment. Pleasant enough feel to the day though.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

In short nothing will happen so??
    pad199207 wrote: »
    Status Yellow - Thunder warning for Leinster, Cavan, Monaghan and Donegal

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Scattered thunderstorms today and tonight, with lightning, hail and a risk of localised flooding.

Valid: 11:00 Monday 10/08/2020 to 08:00 Tuesday 11/08/2020

Issued: 11:00 Monday 10/08/2020

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭pad199207

jimmynokia wrote: »
    In short nothing will happen so??

Basically yeah. Can’t see anything happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Started to rain in Bray as the ‘tip of the spear‘ pokes us. Looks fairly ominous on the Radar. Are we sure its only the rain and not the T&L that’ll cross the Irish Sea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The trend is our friend here lads, the more instability carried west by the early cells the better for the next 18 hours. I'd be surprised if we didn't see some decent thunder 30 to 50 kms inland from the coast from wexford northwards

• Advertisement

Cape forecast from now until tomorrow midnight. East coast always at risk pretty much at any stage.

JavjNgT.gif

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Started raining here in North County Dublin about 20mins ago. Humidity and temps have climbed since the rain started. Doesn't feel like sparks though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

It has been raining in west Dublin for the last 45 minutes. Modetate rainfall. Noticeably dark in the last 20 minutes but no sparks or distant rumbles. Are we likely to see any action on the east coast? Doesn't feel particularly muggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭typhoony

convection firing up south of Kilkenny

Warning has been taken down. Rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭Frankie19

Maybe being updated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Well that was a damp squib.....

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭chris2007

keep the faith alive something might happen later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Some action in Wales judging by the met radar, so jealous :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

All the big stuff missing eh.

Cell firing away in North Wales, Isle of Man going to get it ?

R1c6pDc.png?1

GgoIVU5.gif

bnw6ztl.png

• Advertisement

That small blob of prep over the S midlands currently appears to be spiralling:

zrIJODN.gif

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I don't think even the warnings for thunderstorms in Ulster that ME have put up will happen tonight they appear to be dying out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭esposito

We really do miss out a lot on exciting weather events don’t we. We are very unlucky. When they put up the warnings for thunderstorms they always seem to jinx it and we get none. Maybe we’ll get lucky over the next few days but you just have to wonder sometimes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

If Ireland was located an extra 100 km further east our history of decent thunderstorms could be quite different. So many times over the past 30 years these situations result in thunderstorms drifting northwards up the Irish sea missing Ireland and on rare occasions they may clip the Ulster coastline.

Unfortunately for us we rarely have heat or warmth to tap into to get these storms going, too much Atlantic influence most summers, not enough warmth, not enough instability.

Gonzo wrote: »
    If Ireland was located an extra 100 km further east our history of decent thunderstorms could be quite different. So many times over the past 30 years these situations result in thunderstorms drifting northwards up the Irish sea missing Ireland and on rare occasions they may clip the Ulster coastline.

Unfortunately for us we rarely have heat or warmth to tap into to get these storms going, too much Atlantic influence most summers, not enough warmth, not enough instability.

My hatred of the Atlantic grows each year. It really does ruin things for us in both summer and winter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

esposito wrote: »
    My hatred of the Atlantic grows each year. It really does ruin things for us in both summer and winter.

we are perfectly positioned for bland temperatures and that's what we get most of the time. The Atlantic is primarily why we rarely get real cold/snow most winters and temperatures above 24C in the summer. The fact that we don't have a hot continent sitting just to our south would be another reason why our summers are mostly cool or just mild.

Most plumes or high pressure tend to move up from the south but brush with Ireland or miss us entirely, which leaves the Atlantic to continue it's grasp over us to some extent so we are nearly always on the cooler side.

Many of these situations work out great for England and Wales but are useless for Ireland. We really need a push of hot air from central Europe with a gentle south-east flow to draw any proper warmth in our direction with minimum sea track. A very strong Azores linking up to a Scandinavian high can also work well for us if the azores ridge isn't positioned too far to the east.

Unfortunately for us it does look like we've been handed the summer wooden spoon both last year and this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Quite a swirl
    522648.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭pauldry

Every weather event that is predicted in Ireland we get less severe

Snow it's less
    Wind it gets moderated last minute
    Heat like today supposed to be 26c but 21 or 22c tops
    Thunder Britain gets it apart from June 26th here

pauldry wrote: »

Snow it's less

I disagree about the wind bit. That we get lol

• Advertisement

pauldry wrote: »

Snow it's less

Couldn’t care less about wind. We get enough of it. I personally can’t stand windstorms.

Especially can’t stand wind in the summer months and also at Christmas and new year.

Checking out some Stateside live rail cams and seeing some nice bolts on this one in Missouri on the back end of a storm currently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAQUGsUzWbE

If you scroll back about 90 mins, or 14.20 CDT time on the cam clock, you can watch this train station getting a direct hit from the storm.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Checking out some Stateside live rail cams and seeing some nice bolts on this one in Missouri on the back end of a storm currently:

If you scroll back about 90 mins, or 14.20 CDT time on the cam clock, you can watch this train station getting a direct hit from the storm.

Those cams are brilliant. I have been following them for a couple of years. Some are more active weather wise than others.

I know where every cam is so I always look at the lightning map to see if one has been hit or is going to get hit.

A few of them get water in the speakers whenever it rains so you cant hear anything unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭highdef

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

14:22:46, not 14:20, unless I started the video too late @ 14:20:01

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭thomasj

Activity over the last while

Serious amount of strikes just across the water . I wonder could the flashes be seen from Dublin coast?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I was wondering what all the flashes were I was seeing in the sky near the Wicklow coast. Looked like lightning but the sky is crystal clear here. Then I saw all the activity over Wales it has to be the flashes from the lightning over the Irish Sea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Serious amount of strikes just across the water . I wonder could the flashes be seen from Dublin coast?

Was out in an elevated part of Skerries earlier with a clear view over the sea. Saw nothing despite most of north Wales was lighting up on the map.

saw a few very faint flashes to my east here at Dunshaughlin, those flashes are probably well beyond our coast. Big flashes of lightning can be seen up to 120km away.

Was out in an elevated part of Skerries earlier with a clear view over the sea. Saw nothing despite most of north Wales was lighting up on the map.

Shame. It would be some light snow. Friend is reporting constant lightning over Liverpool.

saw a few very faint flashes to my east here at Dunshaughlin, those flashes are probably well beyond our coast. Big flashes of lightning can be seen up to 120km away.

When?

• Advertisement

Just seen flashes here from Naas :O

When?

about 5 minutes ago, i'm in a country area with no light pollution so that helps alot. They are very faint flashes, similar to when Wexford coast had that storm about 2 months ago I could see the faint flashes from that too. My distance from the Wexford storms back in June and tonights Welsh storms would be roughly similar except that the Welsh storms are probably much more intense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

West Mayo, thought I seen one to the south about 15 minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Star gazing just now and there is constant flashing almost. Thought I was imaging it first. We are about 10 miles from the coast as the crow flies in North wexford. Is there a storm in Wales?

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    Star gazing just now and there is constant flashing almost. Thought I was imaging it first. We are about 10 miles from the coast as the crow flies in North wexford. Is there a storm in Wales?

yep a massive one. It stretches from central Wales almost as far as the Scottish border and takes in much of Liverpool/Blackpool areas on towards Cumbria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

West Mayo, thought I seen one to the south about 15 minutes ago.

Indeed you did, one strike showing south of your location.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

yep a massive one. It stretches from central Wales almost as far as the Scottish border and takes in much of Liverpool/Blackpool areas on towards Cumbria.

Have seen lots of flashes. Some very bright for it being so far away. Jealous. And no luck on the meteors for now either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Check out this webcam at lake Windermere great lightning

https://www.fba.org.uk/ferry-cam

This one at Blackpool

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/united-kingdom/england/blackpool/blackpool.html

A remarkable sight for the distance that the storms are. But the anvil is huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Seen a few looking east from here in South Laois around midnight

Very little light pollution here to my east.

Moon and fog now, no further flashes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement