Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ice Storm Possibility Sat-Mon

Options
  • 03-03-2012 7:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

Rather than focusing on accumulations of solids and semi solids it strikes me that there is a strong possibility of a Mini Ice Storm in certain areas with utterly lethal conditions for some, most likely 7-10am on monday morning.

We had a localised one here in Galway in Feb 2009. Here is the scenario.

1. Council grits road saturday night.
    2. Sharp showers such as those already experienced today Saturday wash the salt away afterwards. Council does not regrit.
    3. Hard Freeze Sunday night under generally clear skies. Ground rather wet at onset of freeze.
    4. Possibly random shower falls on hard frozen ground. Freezes into an icy film on contact. No salt to counteract effects.

On that morning in February 2009 I went out to the car and could hardly stand up on the doorstep never mind further out. However as the sun can be quite strong at this time of year most of it will melt by 10-11am. It is very dangerous underfoot for infirm people and children who could do themselves a nasty injury.

I am advising anyone who may be apprehensive to have a look at the Met Eireann radar sequence before setting out Monday morning to check whether a shower could have fallen on frozen ground near them overnight.

You will have absolutely no grip at all, do not travel unless you must.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Is this widespread Bob or west/northwest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Is this thread a wind up? Ice storm?

There are now 3 threads now dealing with this weekend. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The reference to Monday morning shows that this is a concern more for widespread black ice due to frost than an "ice storm" which would be an accretion of ice from rain falling at sub-freezing temperatures.

Would just say there are some concerns for icy roads at higher elevations especially on Sunday morning from effects of mixed wintry showers, and then also as SB suggests, due to sharp or severe frost on Monday morning. So caution is advised for road travel in those circumstances.

A more organized sleet and snow event will largely miss Ireland to the south overnight but will then intensify over southeast England so that some higher parts of the southeast may see accumulations of 5-15 cms snow (the north-facing sides of the Downs mostly).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭pauldry

I knew March would be more interesting than February. So far snow and frost have already been mentioned with one of them certain to be experienced as well as white mountains and more sun than the whole month of February in Sligo already .. well nearly and now an ice storm... class.

Kinda mildish muck after this though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Su Campu wrote: »
    Is this thread a wind up? Ice storm?

Yep - ice storms are very common in early March in Ireland...hardly a year passes without a few :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

'Common in March' is an exaggeration Bill but we had one in Feb 2009 and one in December 2009 here in Galway.

It is fairly warm now compared to the predictions a few days back and it may not freeze hard enough tonight.

Perhaps further east. The showers I expected are around but the ground is not as cold as forecast in the West.

brr.jpg

Bad news :(

Temp didn't fall below 3.5c last night and there was no rain. Ice storm is postponed till March 16th (start a thread someone).......lovely sunny morning - giant yellow orb bathing the eastern side of Three Rock in a warm glow.

It's nearly enough to make me forget it's a Monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

bit of ice on the car (enough to make me think a twice about cycling down a country road to work) but ice storm was a bit melodramatic

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭weisses

Su Campu wrote: »
    There are now 3 threads now dealing with this weekend. :rolleyes:

Looked at all three of them and all i managed to do was to get sunburned over the weekend ... should be a law against starting threads after a proper session in the local ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The promised freeze bit never really happened here in Galway although the showers did. Anyway sure I can always start the de riguer Winter 2012/2013 thread on what is likely the hottest day of the year in June can't I....coz if I don't some else surely will. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Sure run this thread every week till it happens and then claim you were right. ;):D

A generic thread title...when saw it a few days ago I thought it was for North America!

There is already a graupel thread for the 7th March....two days hence :rolleyes:

Us snowbunnies don't quit easily :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement