Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hopefully we dont miss out next year if this theory is accurate

Options
  • 27-02-2012 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17143269

So what do all you weather experts think is likely weather for us in winters for next 5 years? What will be driving it, melting arctic ice, solar effects , butterflies in japan?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

So what do all you weather experts think is likely weather for us in winters for next 5 years? What will be driving it, melting arctic ice, solar effects , butterflies in japan?

The butterflies. Wings flapping. No contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

I thought global tempreture rise was a myth?
    It's back on on now? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭jimmy.d

Nabber wrote: »
    I thought global tempreture rise was a myth?
    It's back on on now? :confused:

must be running out of money:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

"This is no bigger than the solar effect or the El Nino effect. But they vary, whereas Arctic ice is on a pretty consistent downward trend."

This is the main thing I would take out of the article, but the magnitude of the effect compared to the others needs to been taken into account.

Also
    "I agree with the study - I have no beef with the case that declining Arctic sea ice can drive easterly winds and produce colder winters over Europe," commented Adam Scaife, head of monthly to decadal prediction at the UK Met Office.

What a strange thing for a scientist to say:confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

jimmy.d wrote: »
    must be running out of money:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

This is the main thing I would take out of the article, but the magnitude of the effect compared to the others needs to been taken into account.

Also

What a strange thing for a scientist to say:confused:

yes, normally scientists use more formal language when asked for their opinion on such things

perhaps he watched one too many gangsta flicks?

I've no beef with the theory either.

Gulf Stream cut-off (due to melting ice running off Greenland) is sooo yesterday's theory.

I find a warm evaporating Arctic so much more compelling :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Wild Bill wrote: »
    Gulf Stream cut-off (due to melting ice running off Greenland) is sooo yesterday's theory.
    Gulf Stream cutoff by freshwater melt in the Artic from a variety of sources, Greenland and the very large Siberian rivers come to mind, is supposed to put us in the freezer in Europe according to recent AGW theory. Unlike the NW coast of Canada at a broadly similar latitude there is a large escape channel from the Artic Ocean to the Atlantic as distinct from the highly constrained Bering Strait towards the much larger Pacific.

Furthermore the Younger Dryas 'Ice Age' and later '8.2k' episodes possibly caused by a large dump of freshwater into the western Atlantic from Canada should serve to make us wary of Thermohaline interruptions caused by fresh water ....or was that a comet.??

Mind you it would be fair to say we don't know....do we. And the UK Met Office could simply be angling for research wonga :)

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Thermohaline interruptions

I'm a great fan of thermohaline interruptions myself, but the brother can't stand them.

Advertisement