Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BEST Book on the History of Dublin ?

Options
  • 10-09-2013 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all,

I'm Irish but will soon be moving to Dublin for about a year. One of the things I would like to do while I'm there is to explore Dublin's rich history. Before I start living there, I would like to read a book to give me some context and background on this topic. I visited Eason's on O' Connell St. and found plenty, but didn't know which would be the best.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what the BEST book on this topic would be?

This book doesn't need to be the definitive history of Dublin, but one that is relatively accessible to a layman, obtainable and reasonably affordable.

Thank you in advance for any help you could provide.

Hb.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 HB1024

Nobody?

Any advice at all?

Hb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

PAKENHAM, Thomas and PAKENHAM, Valerie (eds.) (1988) Dublin, A Traveller's Companion Constable London.

It was the one that amused me the most. Available from Amazon etc.

Thanks very much Hans.

I bought "A Short History of Dublin" by Richard Killeen.

So far it seems to be doing what it says on the tin. I'd be very interested to know if anyone had any criticisms/positive comments on this author or work.

Hb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

I don't know Killeen's book but the one I recommended is an anthology of writings about Dublin over the centuries. What amused me most in it was the account of the anonymous, curious Trinity fresher (a ‘gib’) who got into the secret ‘Back Lane Parliament’ of the United Irishmen, containing Wolfe Tone, Napper Tandy and Hamilton Rowan (all vividly described). This was in 1791. When he was spotted he was hauled to the front and quizzed before being pronounced “a harmless gib” and allowed stay, if he wanted. What were the United Irishmen playing at?

Sorry, but I don't know very much about the topic!

I have quite limited time in Dublin, and am just scratching the surface of its history at the moment :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Artur.PL

Moore Street by Barry Kennerk
    Excellent book about Moore St Market history.

A history of Moore St. would be too specific. I'm discussing a history of the whole city.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭howaya

how about the Come Here To Me, Dublin's other history collection?
    Treats the city as a whole, is very accessible, and like the blog, is keenly interested in the urban landscape of the city.
    Would seem likely to add to enjoyment and appreciation of finding your way about town in the coming months

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Balaclava1991

Some interesting historical books can be read online at askaboutireland.ie at this link:

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/reading-room/digital-book-collection/digital-books-by-county/dublin-city/

Advertisement