Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warm sectors - always milder than forecast

Options
13»

Comments

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    It’s cloudy so how would I be below freezing? There are only a few places on the island below freezing.

The cloud you're experiencing is part of the marine layer
    Have you never experienced below freezing in cloudy conditions up there?
    Common enough here in bitter spells,I've seen the washing freeze on the line in an easterly,straight off the Irish sea for example
    Thats the advantage of a deep easterly over a northerly or northweserly
    Much less or no ocean modification but still lots of lake effect snow for those exposed to the Irish sea

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

And the cloud on the rest of the island is from where exactly?

https://en.sat24.com/en/gb/visual

I’m afraid I’m not in the marine layer. There’s a 3c difference with the weather stations to my north and east.

What models do the Met Office use? And their resolution?

They'll use all of them and a blend to come to a forecast
    Glasnevin add most weight to harmonie and the ECM
    Exeter to Hlosea and the UKMO I think

And the cloud on the rest of the island is from where exactly?

https://en.sat24.com/en/gb/visual

I’m afraid I’m not in the marine layer. There’s a 3c difference with the weather stations to my north and east.

Thats your opinion
    Its my opinion that you are wrong
    You are not going to go well in a discussion forum to be honest if you continue to say the same things over and over again and go on as if everything you say is right,that you are always right
    Ironically,if you keep doing that,you'll just annoy people again,not get the attention you seem to seek and will end up on peoples ignore list
    You haven't picked up on that yet,please do because Like most here I'd rather be educating myself and educating others rather than interacting with heaps of me me me,I,I,I posts
    Thank you

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Thats your opinion
    Its my opinion that you are wrong
    You are not going to go well in a discussion forum to be honest if you continue to say the same things over and over again and go on as if everything you say is right,that you are always right
    Ironically,if you keep doing that,you'll just annoy people again,not get the attention you seem to seek and will end up on peoples ignore list
    You haven't picked up on that yet,please do because Like most here I'd rather be educating myself and educating others rather than interacting with heaps of me me me,I,I,I posts
    Thank you

What are you talking about? You constantly disagree with me.

And what do you mean “me, me, me” you just said you want to discuss weather now you are saying it’s all about me for creating my own threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Can we get a thread solely devoted to Coleraine and its environs please?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,072 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Can we get a thread solely devoted to Coleraine and its environs please?

And sooner the better :)

Ok I will just stop posting. I’m tired of the little digs through likes/winks and comments.. I’m not even doing anything.

And now you are twisting this up to get a reaction out of me to ban me.

Well no response now.

And you ARE wrong. I was not in the marine layer, the wind switched round to NW and the temp rose by 2c. I am not responding to this anymore.

Ok I will just stop posting. I’m tired of the little digs and comments.. I’m not even doing anything.

Well no response now.

Honestly not having a go at you and love your weather enthusiasm. Just there is a lot of imby posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Please stop saying people are trying to get you banned just because they disagree with you. Everybody is being very patient and are merely giving their opinions. You're asking questions and we're answering as best we can. If you insist that you're right then why ask in the first place?

You say you completed a degree in Meteorology, so this really should be fairly basic stuff for you.

• Advertisement

Please stop saying people are trying to get you banned just because they disagree with you. Everybody is being very patient and are merely giving their opinions. You're asking questions and we're answering as best we can. If you insist that you're right then why ask in the first place?

You say you completed a degree in Meteorology, so this really should be fairly basic stuff for you.

And I enjoy the explanations and discussions as I have little knowledge of what happens in all those layers above us. I was just teasing about the Coleraine thread as it’s all focused on quite a small part of our island!

Wind and temp change. Abrupt change after 4th dot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Ok I will just stop posting. I’m tired of the little digs through likes/winks and comments.. I’m not even doing anything.

Well no response now.

And you ARE wrong. I was not in the marine layer, the wind switched round to NW and the temp rose by 2c. I am not responding to this anymore.

MOD NOTE: Whoa, cool the jets there a tad - or this thread will get a padlock quicker than a frost in Siberia.

I have highlighted a sentence in your response above which is not becoming of a discussion - which is what we are supposed to be having here. Please change your tone going forward.

If your wind direction has changed to the NW you most likely are in a marine air layer, a few of us on here have evaluated your general district using the wonderful tool of Google Streetview and offered our opinions as to the likely weather and geographical influences that drive the weather you experience across the locality where you are based.

Our opinions may not be 100% spot on, but they are reasonably accurate nonetheless. The people on here have taken their own valuable time to contribute in a fair and positive manner in trying to answer your questions, you could at least afford them some gratitude in return by demonstrating more carefully thought out responses in a better tone.

I hope not to have to return to comment about the manner of responses going forward. For the moment this thread will remain open as long as the discussion returns and remains courteous.

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

What models do the Met Office use? And their resolution?
    They use their own, the ECM and the GFS - or 'the American' as they like to call it. Their high res (0 to 36hr) one has a name I can't think off (and it isn't the Euro4) but it is one of the best out there in my opinion.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    They use their own, the ECM and the GFS - or 'the American' as they like to call it. Their high res (0 to 36hr) one has a name I can't think off (and it isn't the Euro4) but it is one of the best out there in my opinion.

Is that Glossea or Mogreps? Keep seeing it mentioned over on net weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Is that Glossea or Mogreps? Keep seeing it mentioned over on net weather.

Not sure to be honest, but this article has a nice explainer:

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/binaries/content/assets/metofficegovuk/pdf/data/ukv_model_data_sheet_2019.pdf

"A post processed regional downscaled configuration of the Unified Model, covering the UK and Ireland, with hourly forecast data
    covering the period T+0 to T+48 hours, and 3 hourly forecasts out to T+120.
    With a resolution of approximately 0.018 degrees hourly data is produced at surface level and at standard pressure levels eight
    times a day.

The model’s initial state is kept close to the real atmosphere using incremental 3D-Var data assimilation".

New Moon

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

Do you know if the high res one is actually run with a high spatial resolution or if it's some sort of downscaling? I don't know anything about the UK system I'm afraid but I remember with another country (Austria) finding out to my surprise that their high res rainfall model was actual a disaggregation of ALADIN/HAMRONIE forecasts. Still interesting but fundamentally different

I see you answered above already

Advertisement