Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'No girlfriend. Just go to work, go home'

• 20-10-2019 11:43pm
    Site Banned Posts: 1

I can't be the only one trapped in this hell. When does it get better?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Never.

When you get the girlfriend it gets worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bigboldworld

The cycle of life I’m afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

There must be something you always wanted to do or someone you always wanted to be. Do a list. You have no anchors holding you back from doing this. You could be the Irish Lance Armstrong or the Irish Michael Flatley.

Or you could feel sorry for yourself. Girls like men who do stuff. When their friends ask them what’s he like they don’t want to say “oh he’s grand now that he has me”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Start a few hobbies, interests.

Meet like minded people.

Get off boards.ie

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Have you tried asking a woman you're interested out on a date?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I have no hobbies and hardly any friends. I go out alone 3 times a week to meet women but no joy. I do meet a lot of women but nothing seems to come out.

Where's my depressed borderline alcoholic gf?

Dating apps ftw

I'm too ugly for them.

Ah. You're screwed so. Pardon the pun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Take up fly-fishing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

I'm too ugly for them.

There is something for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

You don't have to work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Where's my depressed borderline alcoholic gf?

In the trash with your personality I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Before someone else says it...

Eh yaaa and ya join a GYM blah blah blah...

Finding someone special gives you a greater purpose OP. It can change your entire course of life.

My Grand-aunt was found slumped over her desk at school while she was filling in the roll books, she was a teacher and she was single. What a way to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I know a guy who is pig ugly but won't settle for an ugly chick. He is now 40 and single.
    Honestly mate get a fat chick or an ugly chick or an ugly fat chick. Bonus points if they are foreign and like to look after their men.
    My missus if good looking but I'd trade her for an ugly bird who doesn't expect too much from me and life in general of I'm being honest.
    I'm nearly sure the ratio of men to women in in your favour these days and it's 51%/49% so you should he good.

Before the war I was honestly thinking of going to Ukraine to buy a wife. Downside would be I'd have to move there. If I brought her home she'd divorce me.
    Seriously mate unless you've got some deformatey your not mentioning you can do it. I know it can be hard, I've been the guy who is in the corner of a club and no-one is showing any interest. It's strange once I have a girl on my arm all the girls show interest it's a weird competitive thing they have going on.

Honestly sounds like you've got a confidence problem. Have you ever tried watching self help stuff on YouTube? It's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Dance for me
    Dance for me
    Dance for me
    Woah Woah Woah

Yeah I know. I'm not going down without a fight. Just on the comedown from a weekend bender so feeling more depressed than usual.
    Ah suicide sunday;)

Yeah I know. I'm not going down without a fight. Just on the comedown from a weekend bender so feeling more depressed than usual.

Jaysis
    You do know there is more to life then women?
    Or. Men?
    Or whatever your gig is?
    Just go & do whatever you want, whenever you want, with whoever you want!!
    All the lads at work are jealous of me because I do the above! :)
    (I do have an OH, but he lives a long way away)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Dance for me
    Dance for me
    Dance for me
    Woah Woah Woah

I hate that song. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

RMAOK wrote: »
    I hate that song. :mad:
    I wouldn't mind it if it wasn't for your one's ridiculous accent. Seems to be industry standard to put on a ludicrous accent for singing.

bubblypop wrote: »
    Jaysis
    You do know there is more to life then women?
    Or. Men?
    Or whatever your gig is?
    Just go & do whatever you want, whenever you want, with whoever you want!!
    All the lads at work are jealous of me because I do the above! :)
    (I do have an OH, but he lives a long way away)
    That's the thing about life. Happiness is based on ups and downs. If it's good all the time your not happy. If you can do whatever you want all the time you will get bored of it and want the simple life. And if he finds a relationship he will get bored of that eventually, but should have fun along the way. We can't win in this life unfortunately unless we are willing to accept life for what it is and what we have and not what we have not. Unfortunately society tells us different..

Why is it "hell" being single OP? No woman (or man) would want to be pursued out of that level of panic.
    iamtony wrote: »
    I know a guy who is pig ugly but won't settle for an ugly chick. He is now 40 and single.
    Honestly mate get a fat chick or an ugly chick or an ugly fat chick. Bonus points if they are foreign and like to look after their men.
    My missus if good looking but I'd trade her for an ugly bird who doesn't expect too much from me and life in general of I'm being honest.
    Crikey just break up with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

No gf means no sex, no love, no happiness. Just empty days spent drinking.

Look at all those bitter loser men who sit at the bar all day. That's what happens when you have no woman.

Some of the most miserable people I know are in relationships.

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Why is it "hell" being single OP? No woman (or man) would want to be pursued out of that level of panic.

Crikey just break up with her.

If only it was that easy. Breaking up would involve making her and my kids homeless. Anyways she bleedin great in the sac. Like I mean crazy lady level of great:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Why don't they break up?

They will eventually, usually after having a couple of kids first though, which ties them together forever heaping more misery upon them.

That's the thing about life. Happiness is based on ups and downs. If it's good all the time your not happy. If you can do whatever you want all the time you will get bored of it and want the simple life. And if he finds a relationship he will get bored of that eventually, but should have fun along the way. We can't win in this life unfortunately unless we are willing to accept life for what it is and what we have and not what we have not. Unfortunately society tells us different..

Not true at all!
    My life is good, all the time, I am happy.
    I can do whatever I want, I don't get bored.
    I don't know why anyone would want anything different?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,278 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

No gf means no sex, no love, no happiness. Just empty days spent drinking.

Look at all those bitter loser men who sit at the bar all day. That's what happens when you have no woman.

No woman, no cry.

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

They will eventually, usually after having a couple of kids first though, which ties them together forever heaping more misery upon them.

How come my cat never has such problems?

The last time I checked he's enviably content. if a little effeminate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Finding someone special gives you a greater purpose OP. It can change your entire course of life.

Sorry, I had to call this out. That's an extremely damaging statement. It may be the case for you, but to tell someone that finding a partner gives you a greater purpose is setting them up for depression. Not everyone is able to find someone, not everyone is confident enough or whatever to be able to find someone. Telling them that it gives a greater purpose is like telling a terminally ill child with 2 weeks to live that the new theme park being built next year will be awesome.

OP, i'm not one for advice on finding someone, indeed others are trying to help me in another thread, but the single life ain't all that bad if you think about it. Surely you can see the couples every day, at work or in public/on a night out. Have a good look at them, and you'll see the cracks in these seemingly perfect relationships. They have their downsides too!

I'm lucky, I have 3 brothers and a sister to remind me of the hard times in relationships!

If only it was that easy. Breaking up would involve making her and my kids homeless. Anyways she bleedin great in the sac. Like I mean crazy lady level of great:)
    "Honestly mate get a fat chick or an ugly chick or an ugly fat chick. Bonus points if they are foreign and like to look after their men. 
    My missus if good looking but I'd trade her for an ugly bird who doesn't expect too much from me and life in general of I'm being honest" - what a thing to say about the mother of your children... and the attitude to women you display before it.

Some ****ed up attitudes towards women here at times. Only a minority, and I certainly don't blame all men (which would be stupid of me) but it's a bit disturbing.

bubblypop wrote: »
    Not true at all!
    My life is good, all the time, I am happy.
    I can do whatever I want, I don't get bored.
    I don't know why anyone would want anything different?

Maybe I worded it wrong bit what I was aiming at was happyness comes from within and appeiciating the good things we already have.

I would hate to be the woman held responsible for solving all of the the OPs problems and expected to provide him with all the keys to his own happiness.

Sorry, I had to call this out. That's an extremely damaging statement. It may be the case for you, but to tell someone that finding a partner gives you a greater purpose is setting them up for depression. Not everyone is able to find someone, not everyone is confident enough or whatever to be able to find someone. Telling them that it gives a greater purpose is like telling a terminally ill child with 2 weeks to live that the new theme park being built next year will be awesome.

OP, i'm not one for advice on finding someone, indeed others are trying to help me in another thread, but the single life ain't all that bad if you think about it. Surely you can see the couples every day, at work or in public/on a night out. Have a good look at them, and you'll see the cracks in these seemingly perfect relationships. They have their downsides too!

I'm lucky, I have 3 brothers and a sister to remind me of the hard times in relationships!
    Yeah I didn't see anything helpful in antigravity2's post - it was essentially "yeah sucks to be you". Maybe they didn't read the opening post properly.

• Advertisement

Raconteuse wrote: »
    "Honestly mate get a fat chick or an ugly chick or an ugly fat chick. Bonus points if they are foreign and like to look after their men. 
    My missus if good looking but I'd trade her for an ugly bird who doesn't expect too much from me and life in general of I'm being honest" - what a thing to say about the mother of your children... and the attitude to women you display before it.

Some ****ed up attitudes towards women here at times. Only a minority, and I certainly don't blame all men (which would be stupid of me) but it's a bit disturbing.

It's after hours and I'm tryin to help a brother out keep your opinions to yourself;) P.s I really love my women

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

my unqualified 2 cent:

ugly? grow a beard.
    buy some nice clothes, a bit shallow but there you have it.
    Don't over reach, if you're trying to score a home run on first meeting a woman in a bar might be a stretch.
    Don't be all about scoring if you're chatting someone up. Make it a neutral conversation and if it's going well maybe try a flirt or 2.
    I've read some pick up artist pieces, not for me but the only "tip" I took from it all was if you catch someone's eye, don't stand there all night, looking back and forth at each other, just head over.
    Personally, because I'm no Casanova, an early failure in the evening is quite liberating, just laugh at yourself if it was a stinker, you'll feel better for at least trying.
    I genuinely wish you all the best.

It's after hours and I'm tryin to help a brother out keep your opinions to yourself;) P.s I really love my women
    Keep my opinions to myself on a discussion forum but you get to voice your opinions? How on earth does that work?
    Yeah well not all men get to live a life of sex and parties and fun. Those of us on the outside looking in get warped.

Imagine if no man ever showed interest in you? You'd be just as bad.
    That doesn't really have a bearing on what you're replying to though. And I never said all men get to live a life of sex and parties and fun. My post was in response to the guy who actually is in a relationship. Those here with ****ed up attitudes to women are not always single (it's even worse to have that attitude if they're in a relationship imo).

Being unlucky with women though is absolutely no excuse to condemn all women (same in the case of being unlucky with men obviously - stupid and spiteful in both cases).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I go out alone 3 times a week to meet women but no joy.

How does that work? I mean, it (obviously) hasn't been working, but... how do you go about it? How do the women you meet react to being approached by some guy on his own? Do you think you might have more luck if you had friends to go out with? Or if you had some hobbies?

Even if you do somehow get a girlfriend by doing what you're doing, it might be good to also have friends and hobbies/interests that don't necessarily involve her. Otherwise, it could become a very intense relationship where you're too dependent on her (or if you end up with someone similar, too dependent on each other).

It's obviously not what you want to be told, but there might be lots of stuff that you need to work on/deal with before you can even consider sharing your life with someone.

You paint a bleak picture of yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Learn to jive, waltz and quickstep - classes are brilliant fun, you dont need a partner, and you will meet 100 people on your first night and 500 at your first gig. It truly is the way forward for you!

Pm me where you are ill put you in touch with the best instructor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Before the war I was honestly thinking of going to Ukraine to buy a wife. Downside would be I'd have to move there. If I brought her home she'd divorce me.

There are also other countries to buy a wife. When I was single I had many contacts with light skinned muslim girls, from Turkey, Morocco, Iran etc... They would all be happy to leave their country, at the beggining they would say the man should be muslim and bla bla bla. I am atheist and Catholic by birth but would avoid western women, specially from those Eastern European countries. Had sex few times with married women from those countries and some friends of me also had. Women from my country (Brazil) are even worse. Muslim women instead are more family oriented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Is that you grandad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Seriously OP, enjoy it, I'd love to be single and have no responsibilities again.

Best part of life - you can do what you want to do, when you want to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Have you tried asking a woman you're interested out on a date?
    I think he means he simply doesn't have enough personal time for a personal life and its getting to his well being.

Its like when people don't have enough family time etc.

I'm stuck in a very similar hell op..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

I was single from the age of 27-30 - in a great relationship right now and whilst there's no doubt that overall it's made me a happier person to have a companion, there were plenty of things I did in those three years that kept me going and helped me enjoy them.

For me the best thing you can do is some travelling, do it alone if you have to, there's nothing wrong with it, chances are if you go to SE Asia or South America you'll meet loads of like minded folks and make friends pretty quickly, it's a really rewarding experience. If you're nervous about going alone, try a group trip to start, something like Contiki. Also, the foreign lassies absolutely love the Irish, I'm far from a beautiful man myself but I did pretty great on the hols and travels, all in all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Das Reich wrote: »
    There are also other countries to buy a wife. When I was single I had many contacts with light skinned muslim girls, from Turkey, Morocco, Iran etc... They would all be happy to leave their country, at the beggining they would say the man should be muslim and bla bla bla. I am atheist and Catholic by birth but would avoid western women, specially from those Eastern European countries. Had sex few times with married women from those countries and some friends of me also had. Women from my country (Brazil) are even worse. Muslim women instead are more family oriented.

Light skinned? Yeah, your name checks out...

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Light skinned? Yeah, your name checks out...
    Hilarious post. Even though he's Brazilian, I read it in Borat's voice. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,618 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Have to be honest if OP can’t forge a life where he can be happy he is just going to inflict his misery onto any person he hooks up with.

Couples aren’t just there because two people were miserable and wanted to be happy, the best couples are a meeting of two happy fulfilled people meeting and wanting to share that with someone else.

Make some changes.
    Get out and do something that you enjoy or try some new things you might enjoy.
    Meet new people, learn a skill, anything to break the hum-drum of your current life.

• Advertisement
Advertisement