Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend cycling shorts

Options
  • 19-10-2019 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hi could I get some recommendations for cycling shorts I have aldi ones and don't find them great to be honest. Only do maybe 30_40km a week at most budget wise maybe 50or 60 euro thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Invisibleman

huntsman77 wrote: »
    Hi could I get some recommendations for cycling shorts I have aldi ones and don't find them great to be honest. Only do maybe 30_40km a week at most budget wise maybe 50or 60 euro thanks in advance

I’f you’re a 40’s male, DONT

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭ridelikeaturtle

Planet X has decent bib shorts for 20GBP +shipping; if you combine a few items you need (water bottles, maybe a new helmet, any consumables?), the shipping price gets absorbed, so it can be a good deal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

where do you live? might be best to pop to your local bike shop to try some. with the budget you mention, you should be able to get a pair more than up for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

I'm 40 and I wear them

What s the problem?

Is it because you assume the OP to be somewhat rotund?

We'll I'm not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

Have a look at the DHB gear on wiggle.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/bib-shorts/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭huntsman77

Yea I'm near athlone so can try local shops. Just from looking online so much choice thanks for suggestions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Wtf?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ah here folks, if someone is obviously being deliberately stupid and unhelpful, don't ask them to explain themselves. it's the old 'they'll beat you with experience' rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

For your budget look at DHB’s line on Wiggle or CRC.

Altura ProGel range is also very good and my favourite shorts, I have 3 pairs. The 1st pair are now 6 years old and in as good a condition as the newest 2yr old pair. I’d highly recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭cletus

If the op is at all concerned with wearing cycling shorts, I picked up a pair of loose fit mountain bike shorts with a built in inner shorts and padding for small money from Decathlon

• Advertisement

Thanks again that's all I wanted was couple brands to be looking at Dhb and altura progel sounds good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭531

Invisibleman is the anti-mamil.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I love Rivelo Honister bibs. You can get them at:

https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/934424?click=eyJxdWVyeSI6MTcwMjYsInBhZ2UiOjEsInBhZ2VTaXplIjoxNSwicG9zIjo2fQ==

Have 4 pairs now going about 3/4years!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Gorteen

DHB or Altura gel. Both brands are available on Wiggle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Bambaata wrote: »

https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/934424?click=eyJxdWVyeSI6MTcwMjYsInBhZ2UiOjEsInBhZ2VTaXplIjoxNSwicG9zIjo2fQ==

What are the sizing like on these shorts ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I'm 185cm tall 32 inch waist and wear medium. Am probably borderline large but ok with medium

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭JMcL

As suggested, DHB are very good - the Aeron range is particularly good, and can often be found discounted to around your budget.

Decathlon also have some good offerings - the 900 range especially is very good, and the 500 series level are also probably fine for your requirements (they have a number of level "100" is entry level, "500" intermediate, and "900" more advanced)

JMcL wrote: »
    As suggested, DHB are very good - the Aeron range is particularly good, and can often be found discounted to around your budget.

Decathlon also have some good offerings - the 900 range especially is very good, and the 500 series level are also probably fine for your requirements (they have a number of level "100" is entry level, "500" intermediate, and "900" more advanced)

Thanks a million loads of options there

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Standard mention for Galibier Energie shorts, fantastic gear all round.

• Advertisement

dahat wrote: »
    Standard mention for Galibier Energie shorts, fantastic gear all round.

Got a present of a them for my birthday during the summer. Love them!!!!!! So much so I got another pair. Reasonable money too about 70 euro I think I paid.

Must investigate a long pair for this time of year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Another +1 for DHB shorts which I've been using for years now. Got the Aeron winter bibs there recently and they're super comfy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Got a present of a them for my birthday during the summer. Love them!!!!!! So much so I got another pair. Reasonable money too about 70 euro I think I paid.

Must investigate a long pair for this time of year.

They have been my default shorts for sometime now as I can't wear the chamois of the club gear.

Winter tights are every bit as good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

ah here folks, if someone is obviously being deliberately stupid and unhelpful, don't ask them to explain themselves. it's the old 'they'll beat you with experience' rule.

c'mon - its boards.ie - whats to be expected!

I've just ordered a pair of these. https://www.merlincycles.com/funkier-apex-gel-active-17-panel-gel-bib-shorts-91360.html

They seem to get good reviews, are a decent price and the few Funkier items I have bought previously have always been pretty good.

I plan on getting a pair of these for the summer though https://road.cc/content/review/246034-lusso-carbon-bib-shorts-v2

The guy that reviews bib shorts for road.cc calls these hi "Go to" shorts. What better recommendation can you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Big Mig

French brand EKOI are having a sale at the moment with 50% off everything!
    These shorts are going for €54 Bought two pairs earlier this year and they are excellent. Lot's of other nice stuff there too.
    https://www.ekoi.com/en/cycling-bib-shorts/9113-cuissard-ekoi-arco-iris-gel-noir.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭griffin100

I like the bicycle line stuff in cycle super store

https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/showsearchresults.asp?sort=category&withstock=1&IDBrand=191

Cheap and relatively good quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Bambaata wrote: »

Just received a pair of these in the post. The quality is very good and possibly the fanciest packaging I've received a pair of bib shorts in.

Thanks for the heads up. :)

VeLHXotjYEWqqZIHmlkajHWwejFSqOWBObo2ASzMGy4be4avGr0NMql0ugzejG2F7RVxEtBggC5INmGS4sqJsPGRdCg6H7LGIE4A2d-HR1i5u-_5dK4xKMaBldu8OdW4ToppA2_0cruP5uVTdV51D_l3ymWQv0Jr2rY-DGUbieSK0jDMdpINBT0ib3Ug0f8mXtP9OP5GR47AdVFQgFXATLQu-v1A8Vii4-XeGJb1_hIXqevV-O48AwGxRlQCS06VpYaRZccP7AIjJieEFKOfjNIgYWd0-skvQ9fqwe9SSJ5qGjEpg2hZRw759V8wwLHYHb6am9_5AYl4L2DAAlEpYK-H4OmK1MoQ9LTjcDrUpq6RTlR5FajOYcd2ZnxpZSwL5nrisqlYruv3tH3z2QlO-4mmB199JGC7DcbMGkcUhCA_em5mg3HVFAa-mmzKp9sPAKXdfRozs5TVALkGrf6UhBnZoBqIhbWl-ecNmhlamJtgEzDWJN3ZM7UidcxB_9GO7phdsnMOdOKmxNFoAKRtghBfBhkPEP5BlLuC9A8ZseZQ_DSyTWEhKhqmWBC9B0vEZSVbKCYkQaRsxRTNiFv3CEwrQDcQs7wBRMwAY1Wlgy3eAhPFneFkSGCsriTOinj-CAPaeSMR3KobiMnnmCnbh7uGXlF0-BFyYtWiyWmBDQVpYP6h5MJjugtUHG_O3RnEeCE7QWU0DQX9HJnbABEuD96O_bPlr720POl-SIsso0DFa2oh=w499-h664-no

Advertisement