Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Italian Campsites (Fly/Drive Holiday)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

a lot of the mobiles Eurocamp has in the upmarket sites are their newer and more swish Avent or Azure mobiles so are not cheap regardless of which site they are on. Their prices in Union lido are off the wall but thats the price they have been for the past years.

Union Lido seems to be of a similar standard to Marina di Venezia but is consistently up to 50% more expensive. We did Marina twice and found it to be fabulous, so if union lido is 50% better again it must be stupendous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭bungaro79

We've booked flights and are trying to decide on whether to stay by Lake Garda or on the coast by Venice in a campsite. We've two smallies who will be 6 and 8 next summer. Think we'll do a couple of days in by the Dolomites at the end of the trip too. We're flying in and out of Bergamo airport so I'm thinking of hiring a car. Has anyone done campsites in both areas and if so which did you prefer?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭josip

Done both. Bella Italia once and Lido 3 times in 2 different campsites. Way more space in the campsites along the Lido than Bella Italia. Also didn't help that the year we were in Bella Italia there were dead fish floating along by the beach in the lake. Might have been heat stress, but not a good look, plus it's a lake rather than the open sea. So if you like beaches, then there's no comparison. If you only do pools then there's less between them, but again Bella Italia pools resembled Dutch soup when we were there whereas there was more pool space along the Lido.

Good experiences withe reception in all of them. We had to leave Bella Italia a day early and they gave us a refund. When we were checking in to Lido and my wife was asking for a pitch, with shade, near the beach, not too close to the toilet block, not noisy in the night time,... the security guard looked at me and gave me rolleyes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭bungaro79

Thanks Josip. I'm going to do some more research based on the above 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 5,503 ✭✭✭baldbear

We have a 3 year old and a 7 years old & was looking at Del Garda Village and camping and Bella Italia.

Has anyone visited recently and have they Amy tips?

I was hearing towards Del garda Village as it's a bit cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

That time of year again, need to get summer holidays sorted. Italy gone expensive, between flights and car hire. From a quick look France might be a more reasonable destination this year maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

bear in mind that France is much dearer to eat out and I find dearer for general groceries. Italy is great with the Pizza & Pasta for kids, very reasonable to eat out and take-aways

Much prefer Italy myself, have to start looking a costs 😛

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭De Bhál

We stayed in Union Lido last summer,

Third Italian campsite we've tried and the best of them by far.

Downside is the expense and mosquitos

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Just back from 2 weeks in Union Lido, our first campsite style holiday. Overall we(3 kids under 8 also) enjoyed it but the feeling both my wife and I came away with was for the money we paid we could have had a very nice and much more luxurious half board/all inclusive hotel type holiday. Now we did book late(ish) in October and went in peak season of July, anecdotally it's significantly cheaper in June and late August/early Sept. Private transfer was 240 from Marco Polo, can be done a lot cheaper using bus public transport but we felt the kids were too small to be subjecting them to that. We ate out maybe 7 nights, bbq or takeaway the rest of the nights but the cost of food/groceries really adds up, probably spent over €1000 over the 2 weeks which I don't think we've ever done on a holiday. Bed linen, towel rental, exit tax, bike rental added up to another €300.

Union Lido itself is very impressive and I can understand all the plaudits it gets, it's very well maintained and run. Huge amount to do, lots of restaurants, shops and services including free doctor which we needed for a 2 year old with a nasty cough. You could definitely go there for 2 weeks and have no reason to leave the site unless you were doing a day trip to Venice. There was quite a few Irish around evidenced by the pale skin and gaa jerseys but the majority are Germans, Austrians, Dutch, Danish. Probably good value for them as they can just drive there even if they have to split it over 2 days as some of them told us.

The mosquitoes are rampant and aggressive but to be honest it didn't bother us too much, we just we just put on repellent as much as possible then applied bite cream when necessary and got on with things.

I think the ideal age range for campsite holidays with kids is 6-12 because we had a 2 and 4 year old and they didn't fully appreciate it, in other words they would've been just as happy in hotel and it would've cost us a lot less. Friends of ours have kids in the 6-12 age range and they happily do campsite holidays every year. We will probably do another campsite holiday when they're older but for next few years will stick to hotels.

• Advertisement

Just back from Norcenni Grisole myself at start of July. Brilliant camp, really enjoyed it. Might be the best Ive stayed in in Italy. Was there just before the heat wave and think we just missed the start of busy. Would go back again in a flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭redmissb

We're just back from Union Lido, want to book now for next summer and torn between going to Lake Garda (we've been twice and love it) or giving Tuscany a go. I've always loved the look of Norcenni. Did you hire a car? Hard to get a good deal on car hire in Italy.

I really lover Norcenni and ive been to Lake garda a few times and Camp outside Rome as well. I thought Norcenni was just way better than any Italian camp we have been to. Got it just at the right time as well, Late June/early July weather was perfect, camp was not packed, just perfect. Rented car from Pisa, cant see how you would do it without car. Car hire has gone very expansive alright at the moment. Were looking at next summers holidays already and prices seem to have gone through the roof....

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭redmissb

Thanks for that! Union Lido was fab this year but way more expensive for next summer, we can only travel in mid August. Human Travel are hard to beat for prices and their mobiles lovely with beds made and towels provided. Think after reading your post I'll bite the bullet and book Norcenni!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭crunchie1

Looking into italy again for this holiday ..have been to Altomincio twice with human company-can't beat them- but want a change. Looking at norcenni, Maria de venezia and pra del torri! Norcenni looks very remote, we don't tend to hire cars. Our kids are 10 and 12- any advice on either camp would be appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭josip

Pitched in Pra Del Torri a couple of times. Very big campsite and although you can walk, bikes are ideal for getting around. We had our own, I think the rental will add up over 1-2 weeks. Access to the beach is via gates opened with your bracelet. Not sure what the cutoff age is, but our 8 year old couldn't get through by himself. Very nice restaurant on the beach and in the evening time, there's usually a fireworks display from the Venezia or other side one of the nights. The pool is big enough to be interesting for a few days, but from what I remember it didn't have much in the way of slides and was starting to show its age (5 years ago). Massive variety of activities to do all over the campsite.

Time to start looking myself, prices have gone crazy though from what I've heard. Going to be trying to take kids out of school a week early to avoid the peak season rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭crunchie1

I know cost have definitely increased..some good value in France. Friends have been to sanguli and really loved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭rightmove

hmm would france (own car and campsite) by ferry versus italy (transfer or car hire) by flying and campsite?

Leaving eating out , out of it for the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 33 highpath

I have stayed at all three you mentioned (Pra del torri was last year), and also Altomincio. I have 2 boys who are now 15 and 17.

Marina di venezia would be the favourite of these, as it has the best restaurants, evening entertainment and pool facilities. I know it is the biggest and busiest but if you can go outside the busiest times it is not an issue.Also close to Venice for a day trip. The biggest draw back for me(which does not apply for everybody) was as I always hire a car and do sightseeing trips to towns and villages, but this was not practical in Marina, as you need to travel back along the penninsula everytime to get anywhere. Pra del torri has nice large town(Caorle) a bus trip away .

Norcenni is quite remote with fewer facilities and is on a mountain with a lot of hills to walk up and down.

Others to consider Club Albatros (the only place I gone back to). Has the option of going to the beach a few days as well as some fabulous towns to visit in Tuscany (this is less attractive if you dont hire cars). Have also stayed in Piani di clodia on Lake Garda which is great as a base for touring the lake and towns, as well as visiting Gardaland. Some great accomodation here with hottubs and views of the lakes. Campsite itself has less food options and not as many onsite facilities.

Anyway, my least favourite was actually Altomincio, so I think any of the others will not disappoint.

Feel free to ask questions.

Highpath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭larchielads

Booked cisano san vito lake garda ,if anyone has any experiences and wants to share a few tips?

Looking at Park Albatros at the moment think im going to book, of course flights to Pisa are way more expensive than Milan... Car hire gone expensive also.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,715 ✭✭✭✭phog

Never been to there but passed through the town, I love Lake Garda.

If you're up for day trips, you should look at taking the Cable Car from Malcesine up to Mount Baldo, spectacular views.

A day trip to Venice is very doable and one to Verona is almost a must, you could take in an outdoor opera in the Arena on the Verona trip or make one in the evening just for the Opera. If you are going to the Arena bring a cushion or newspaper and as must water as you can carry as your sitting on stone that has absorbed the heat from the sun all day and it's like sitting on a storage heater.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

We’ve done Bella italia 4 times now and Absolutely love it. Probably because we have developed a familiarity with it and know the process and area well. There is so much to do. First 3 times we hired a car but the latest trip we took a bus>train to Peschiera which was quite cheap and relatively stress free. We had previously driven around the lake (Riva, Cable car, Venice and Verona) so the last trip we saved a fortune without the cost of a car sitting at the camp for 10 days. The walk to the town isn’t far, plus we did make some boat trips to other towns which I highly recommend across the lake.

we never had trouble at the pools, versus a trip we had in Mallorca last year, it’s very relaxed and scenic in comparison.

Rebooked Norcenni in the end instead of Albatros for last week of June/ first week July. Was so impressed with it last year just felt the right thing to do, all the family really loved it. Flight booked, camp booked now to try get a deal on a car.

Hey guys off to lake garda in the summer how much is a pint of beer over there???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Same as here pretty much. Wine and shorts would be cheaper though

How much in an off licence/ supermarket???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭brick tamland

I think about E1 for a can in shop

Was e7 for a large beer in park I remember, maybe a hint cheaper in small beach bars outside but about that in most places

Could get a Aperol for about a fiver I think, cheaper even in some places

Advertisement